A J-way to play

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deep in tournament but far from the money. Blinds 400/800. In the BB with about $4500 and pocket A J off suit. Everyone folds but the SM who goes all in with about $15,000. Call or Fold??? I called and he showed 3 5 off suit and he flopped a straight. Ouch

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, those calls never make any sense to me and they seem to hit most of the time. I also hate AJ, I have hit with them but prefer to not even have them as my cards, and I am a KJ magnet, another hand I hate to have but for some reason I feel more comfortable with it than AJ.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had less than 6BB left, and AJ is way ahead of the range, SB is jamming. Easy call.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy call there. No other option

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agreed on the call. he hit a miracle flop. so the 10% chance of that happening you ran into. rest of the time, you win. good call IMHO

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a medium hand in my opinian...........When we have around 10 blinds or less.......i think is ok shove allin Or call allin against one player.......

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you had to call though. hard luck

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually fold AJ most of the time, simply because I nearly always lose with it. I would rather have J 10.

I would have probably called in this spot as it looks like an attempt to steal which it turned out to be. I think people overplay AJ but then I keep seeing people shoving/calling off with any ace

A

AsbestosInferno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perfectly fine call. Always feels hard and the most distressing thing is what you say about being "deep in the tourney, but far from the money". That's poker though. Sometimes it just stings you.

All-ins at that stage really are just a coin flip. I've lost to 2-9o with AJs before after the villain went all-in with something like 1.5BB. It happens!

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got saved by lady luck

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a call is fine

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely Call!

Deep in tournament but far from the money. Blinds 400/800. In the BB with about $4500 and pocket A J off suit. Everyone folds but the SM who goes all in with about $15,000. Call or Fold??? I called and he showed 3 5 off suit and he flopped a straight. Ouch

This is a simple call. The SB is going to shove on you with a very large range because you have less than 10BB. You can call here with any pair, A or K.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Clear call , do not be results oriented , see on the long run . See how many blinds you have , the position and decide accordingly for every hand , especially Arag or specifically for AJ . Blind vs blind lowstack easy decision . If you don't win gg and up to the next hand .
Not that I like AJ , particularly of suit and in cashgames , I am ready to fold anytime preflop if I see too much action , oop not even think about it , when also my stack is low (in shove fold mode) . I prefer shoving without opened action with this hand in MP or LP , imo .... Low stack for shoving , for calling big stack (and also ip better , far better ....) . Btw with AJ (or also AQ lol) in cash games 9max , I cannot count the times i have been f****d , lol

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you consider your stack and the blinds. yes it is a good call. I wish you more luck for your next games.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB pushes really almost any two at this situation. 35o is a bit strange but I guess he was overly aggressive, which makes your call even better, or that you were not playing at all and he makes this move because he thinks you are nit or because he's just a maniac.
Either way AJo is a snap call here anyways and you should call with way worse than AJ too.
When you have only 5.5bb left to play, you shall look for an opportunity to push your chips in.
And this one is more than great.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Easy call, there is no other option.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just bad luck bro, you did everything right, its a Jam either way , so calling was right

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the right play IMHO, just lost a rough one.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had less than 6BB left, and AJ is way ahead of the range, SB is jamming. Easy call.

i agree. no thought needed based on the situation. it's easy to second guess yourself after the hand is over. but it was the right play

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you didn't do anything wrong, he tried to steal your blind you had to pay him, and the lack of luck came out to him ... I believe he didn't survive in the tournament for such a long time, and you played nice and just so go on :)

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJ tuff

I have experienced a lot of loss with AJ both suited and not, I think that if you raise or bet big with this hand anyone that calls you is most likely looking for broadway cards which of course you are also, so it basically ends up a race...50/50 at best...AJ better in the garbage...

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that's a right move. Being in such a situation with 4500 in stack and 800 bb - it's definitely a call, that guy just got lucky, it's poker, it's possible to lose even with 99% of winning.
Talking about AJ, very interesting hand, it feels like a good hand and a bad hand at the same time, just play it like you feel to, no advise on that, just don't go crazy😁