A beginner in need of help

W

Win10cent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, i've started playing a week ago, i haven't read any pokerbooks and i have barely played hold'em before. But now this last week i've been playing some, mostly 9 player sit'n'goes on pokerstars though.

While playing these sit'n'goes however, there is always someone else taking the lead, i always end up having about 1000-2000 when 5 players remain, and i most commonly end up being bullied by those who are in the lead. Their behaviour ofcourse leads to me going all in since that is the only way i feel possible, because if i get K-9 of hears, i get afraid if they bet 300-400 preflop, i always end up thinking they must have a better hand than me and so i fold and loose the big blind i just spent.

This scenario mostly keeps repeating itself over and over again until i'm going all in and someone calls, the times i've won i've ended up with about 3,5k chips which is a lot more pleasant for me and i'm not getting bullied as much as before, sometimes i even make it to the first place, but not often enough to profit in the long run.

How can i avoid these situations? Ofcourse if i would have been the leader i wouldn't be in that position to begin with but it seems those in the lead are just playing pure luck and then just fishing blinds and i don't find that kind of tactic very solid. But how can i without playing like a nuthead have a more decent amount of chips while the end is getting closer, just enough chips to not be the last and forced into an all in?

A friend, Cassano/Ruthan told me to play tight and only play strong hands a long time ago and i took his advice but i doubt i'm handling it correctly.

My overall playing style is, real tight in the beginning, when there are 5-7 players left i raise all good hands i get pre-flop, 4 players left (If i have enough chips, which i mostly don't) I play really aggressive to steal blinds pre-flop, if they're gonna see the flop they'll have to pay for it unless i have real bad hands. 3 players left i mostly just go for an all in, i want to be the chipleader in the heads-up and not being stuck with my 2k while he has 11k.

You guys probably think i'm a real noob, but i am and i'm begging for your help. Please teach me your awesome skills, i'm wideopen for everything.

Thank you in Advance, Win10cent

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, i've started playing a week ago, i haven't read any pokerbooks and i have barely played hold'em before. But now this last week i've been playing some, mostly 9 player sit'n'goes on pokerstars though.
...First off, welcome to CC. Aside from reading poker books to get a better understanding of the game, actually playing online and getting a feel for the game is the next best thing. As long as you know the basics, then you're good. I started off playing $1 SNGs myself. As for good starting books, I suggest you PM AlienGenius and ask him what are some good books for beginners.

While playing these sit'n'goes however, there is always someone else taking the lead, i always end up having about 1000-2000 when 5 players remain, and i most commonly end up being bullied by those who are in the lead. Their behaviour ofcourse leads to me going all in since that is the only way i feel possible, because if i get K-9 of hears, i get afraid if they bet 300-400 preflop, i always end up thinking they must have a better hand than me and so i fold and loose the big blind i just spent.
...In order to help you out 100% I think a hand analysis is necessary. There is a forum section title 'Tournament Hand Analysis' where you can post any hand that you are unsure of what to do and its open for discussion. IMO, that is one of the best ways to improve individual hand situations. The main reason why I can give you a solid answer now is because it all depends on a number of factors.
-Your stack size
-Opponents' stack size
-Blinds
-Your table image; tight, loose, aggressive, passive
-Opponents table image
So, a lot of things to consider before giving a solid answer. Even with your example above, I cannot tell you if you should shove or fold K9s without all other information. Its all situational.
When you say that you dont want to fold to raise because you dont want to lose the blind you just spent, Im assuming you mean you limped in with K9s. My suggestion is dont limp in with mediocre-bad hands. Again, for full discussion and analysis, post up any hand you have problems with.

This scenario mostly keeps repeating itself over and over again until i'm going all in and someone calls, the times i've won i've ended up with about 3,5k chips which is a lot more pleasant for me and i'm not getting bullied as much as before, sometimes i even make it to the first place, but not often enough to profit in the long run.

How can i avoid these situations? Ofcourse if i would have been the leader i wouldn't be in that position to begin with but it seems those in the lead are just playing pure luck and then just fishing blinds and i don't find that kind of tactic very solid. But how can i without playing like a nuthead have a more decent amount of chips while the end is getting closer, just enough chips to not be the last and forced into an all in?
...Try not to limp in with mediocre hands like K9s or Q10s. A nice rule I used when I first started playing is 'If Im holding a hand that I know I'll have to fold is someone raises, then I dont play it.' Try tightening up your hand range to just the top 10-20 hands, so if you do play a pot and/or you do get raised, you have a lot more confidence in your hand.
Also, pay attention to your chipstack. Dont worry if you're SS and who is the chipleader (but to take notice of this). As long as you have at least 20+ big blinds in your stack, you have nothing to worry about and will not find yourself into a forced all-in situation. Continue to play tight and try picking your spots carefully. Once you start getting to the danger zone of 12 and less BBs in your stack, thats when you want to look for all-in situations.

A friend, Cassano/Ruthan told me to play tight and only play strong hands a long time ago and i took his advice but i doubt i'm handling it correctly.
...Tight is right, in my book. His advice is good, but as for if you're applying it correctly, I cant say. Post a hand analysis.

My overall playing style is, real tight in the beginning, when there are 5-7 players left i raise all good hands i get pre-flop, 4 players left (If i have enough chips, which i mostly don't) I play really aggressive to steal blinds pre-flop, if they're gonna see the flop they'll have to pay for it unless i have real bad hands. 3 players left i mostly just go for an all in, i want to be the chipleader in the heads-up and not being stuck with my 2k while he has 11k.
...This is actually a very good and sound strategy. Continue to play like this.

You guys probably think i'm a real noob, but i am and i'm begging for your help. Please teach me your awesome skills, i'm wideopen for everything.
...Not at all. We all started off as noobcakes one time or another. Heck, even I consider myself a noob.

Thank you in Advance, Win10cent
Above.
Again, Welcome to CC.

W

Win10cent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot! I'll take your advice and use the Hand analysis section with my tricky hands!