7 2 off

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why would you defend your blind in a cash game with 72 off after having been raised?
i guess you feel like you may get lucky. I wonder at times about plays like this that do get lucky as the random number generator may be paying risk takers.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong question. Where does the RNG! If you play! Only you are responsible for your game! If I take part in the game! Then I Generate the Numbers myself! Thereby accept direct participation! It has always been so!

Last edited:
ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a min raise scenario I believe any 2 cards are getting the correct price, but in all other situations its only players with big egos who defend this hand.

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice i guess i need to push harder next time but i wonder if i had shoved all in he may have still called

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually folded this hand, I don't believe much in poker luck.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're super deep you might call this hand and, you know, sometimes the flop will come 772. I know the odds are terrible, but when you do catch your monster it's gonna be very disguised. The times you miss your flop you can try to outplay your opponent or simply fold. Just don't make this a habit and make sure you don't commit a lot of your stack to it.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you defend your blind in a cash game with 72 off after having been raised?
i guess you feel like you may get lucky. I wonder at times about plays like this that do get lucky as the random number generator may be paying risk takers.

That is a very good question.

Here is a situation I witnessed at a live cash holdem table.

Player is a bigstack and raising almost every hand. Also telling the table how good of a player he is and how all his techniques and strategies are flawless. Fine.

New player comes to the table and gets told the same story. After losing a hand to this bigstack loudmouth the new player tells him "I will get you. You will see."

I think you can see where this story is going lol.

Sure enough a few orbits later the bigstack raises and it folds around to the "I will get you" player's BB. And he defends a huge 7x opening raise with....yup....72o

Flop comes 772. The BB check calls every street and the pot gets bloated. He finally check shoves the river and the bigstack loudmouth instacalls off his stack w AA.

More words are exchanged and the bigstack leaves the table felted. With the BB telling him "I told you that I would get you!"

The table was shocked to see the hands but also relieved to be rid of the bigstack player that was abusing the table.

Basically 72 is a very deceptive hand that many players will dismiss as a possibility of being held by their opponent.

I don't know what the player's plan was if he didn't get a good board for 72 - probably try to bluff and then show the 72 to try to tilt the bigstack loudmouth.

Personally I don't like the whole idea. You can see from my story that big egos were involved. But in this situation it worked like a charm.

Good luck !

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might defend 72 off if lots of players have limped in before you. Who knows? Maybe 22 will appear on the flop? Sometimes it happens and you already have paid for the blind.

But you must have at least 2 if not 3 players going in before you, better 4. 1 vs 1 is a no brainer - you fold.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New player comes to the table and gets told the same story. After losing a hand to this bigstack loudmouth the new player tells him "I will get you. You will see."

I think you can see where this story is going lol.

Sure enough a few orbits later the bigstack raises and it folds around to the "I will get you" player's BB. And he defends a huge 7x opening raise with....yup....72o

That is a terrible reason to play a hand. Playing a hand just to "get somebody" will cost you a lot of money in the long run. There aren't that many situations where I'd want to play 72 in the BB. As ChickenArise mentioned, against a min-raise you are getting at least 2 to 1 odds. Still, it's tough to play a hand like that out of position. Obviously, if nobody raised, then you can just check and see a flop. Against a standard 2.5BB+ raise, this is usually a fold.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only call if it's a small raise and multiple players. Need proper pot odds to get in.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a terrible reason to play a hand. Playing a hand just to "get somebody" will cost you a lot of money in the long run. There aren't that many situations where I'd want to play 72 in the BB. As ChickenArise mentioned, against a min-raise you are getting at least 2 to 1 odds. Still, it's tough to play a hand like that out of position. Obviously, if nobody raised, then you can just check and see a flop. Against a standard 2.5BB+ raise, this is usually a fold.

I agree with you 100%

In the words of the winner "It only cost me $75 to see if I can get a flop to stack him!"

Clearly he was counting on implied odds.
The winner still tells me this story whenever I play with him - I guess he forgot that I was there.

My description does shed light on the backstory behind the motivation behind the call w 72.

Good luck !

Last edited:
M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I defend it if it's suited and I'm only facing a min raise in my big blind. Or a multi way pot in my blind. Any other time it is a fold for me. Worst hand in poker.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one pays risk takers. Such players incur losses to themselves.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
72 this is a legendary hand))) many do not fold it just like that before the flop. especially in freerolls. just keep that in mind. another thing surprises me, that people raise with that hand and you sit and don’t know what to do with a good hand)

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the other hand, how else can you double your stack? here with hands like 72 catching your flop.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
If pot odds are just too good and your stack can afford to get in, sure. Its always good to have an image of a player that defends his BB.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When deep stacked, we can use implied odds and trying to hit the nuts or a big hand.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never would defend that kind of hand, not worth worth giving money or chips. It's not about having a big ego, or have a wide range of hand, it is almost a suicide play. :eek::eek: