4 Months of Poker - my observations

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never played poker until 4 months ago, and feel that I am now at the stage where i've got a firm(ish) grasp of the game - now to push on and make some money. I have over the course of this period come to realise the following;

- Better players get more bad beats than worse one (cos they play better cards and therefore are more likely to be leading at river.

- Some players you play, will just be lucky, and continouly outdraw you.

- You won't win every tournament regardless of how well you play.

- You DO sometimes catch a break, you DONT always lose with AA and Pocket pairs DO sometimes hold up.

- You can't bluff on low money pay tables

- It takes ages and ages (and ages) to clear 1,000 raked hands

- If someone playing a freeroll tells you they are a professional poker player, they are lying.

- A player who pushes all in on 4 consecutive hands will flip AA when you call all in with KK on the 5th

- If someone types "oops, i didn't mean to press all-in" when they press all-in, they did mean to press all-in when they press all-in (p.s No I DIDNT fall for it!)

- If you get AJ, flop will be KQ and if you get KQ flop will be AJ (and 10 won't come)

Back to work!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Better players get more bad beats than worse one (cos they play better cards and therefore are more likely to be leading at river.

Logical, seeing as the bad players are the ones calling with crap and catching the cards.

Yes, but in the long run you will win against them. Even if someone outdraws me five times in a row I can crack a smile because I know if this guy keeps playing the same way I will make money from him in the long run because I'm going in with the better hand. :)

- You won't win every tournament regardless of how well you play.

Yep. You will also go on bad runs if you're a good player, and good runs if you're a bad player. Don't make any assumptions about your ability until you have a lot of results and experiences to base them on.

- You DO sometimes catch a break, you DONT always lose with AA and Pocket pairs DO sometimes hold up.

Luck evens out in the long run, and even in the short run it can. In lone tourneys I've sucked out on a couple of players then been sucked out on.

- You can't bluff on low money pay tables

You can, but it's hard. You certainly need reads on your opponent before trying it - it obviously shouldn't be tried on loose calling stations, which a lot of low limit players are to some extent.

- It takes ages and ages (and ages) to clear 1,000 raked hands

Single-tabling micro/low limit games, yeah. :)

- If someone playing a freeroll tells you they are a professional poker player, they are lying.

- A player who pushes all in on 4 consecutive hands will flip AA when you call all in with KK on the 5th

- If someone types "oops, i didn't mean to press all-in" when they press all-in, they did mean to press all-in when they press all-in (p.s No I DIDNT fall for it!)

Yes, yes and yes!

- If you get AJ, flop will be KQ and if you get KQ flop will be AJ (and 10 won't come)

Murphy's Law of Poker. :)

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post.......All I can say is ABSOFRICKENLUTLEY!

K

Kanufi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
robwhufc said:
Interesting post and this one made me laugh. Glad to see it just dont happen to me.

And xdmam, I have to agree with crippler, 3 same posts. Does he have to break a law to be banned?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:biggrin: Ahhh another voice from the " I can't believe he did that!" corner.
I guess these are M Killer's laws as opposed to murphy's laws?:deal:
I think I've run into a few of those in my playing.:banghead:

My own personal favorite is when you hold two suited cards and the table shows two suited of yours and two suited of another, the river will always be the other suit.

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol. Good observations Rob. I actually have hit the all-in by accident before. I won with crap. The raiser was pissed. I couldn't stop laughing for an hour.

mendozaline

mendozaline

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you study the nature of random numbers, you will see that this happens to all of us, just at different times. The trick is to go with the flow and try to make the most of it when it's you, and fold when it's someone else. As long as you don't let yourself get anti-ed to death.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a good post, but kinda old. I think Rob's been playing poker more than 4 months by now

:)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is a good post, but kinda old. I think Rob's been playing poker more than 4 months by now

:)
Considering this thread is over two years old, I think you may be right! :eek: :p

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought Rob was being sarcastic about playing for only 4 months... then I looked at the date. Awesome resurrection with a two year old thread.:D

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering this thread is over two years old, I think you may be right! :eek: :p

Wow ive just noticed this. :eek: lol
Who the hell keeps bumping threads this old and how do they find them. :laugh:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh, I saw this thread in the new posts thingy and was a bit confused at Rob having made a thread about 4 months of poker. :eek:

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I thought Rob was being sarcastic about playing for only 4 months... then I looked at the date. Awesome resurrection with a two year old thread.:D
Rob? Being sarcastic?!? I've never heard of such a thing! Surely you're thinking of someone else?

I wonder what Rob's observations are now? Would be interesting to how they have changed.

rainsoaked

rainsoaked

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw the 4 months bit and thought 'yet I quake with dread every time he's positioned against my big blind'. And he seems to get that position a lot!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

2 years on - would it now be because :confused: :D

even so - hard to disagree with anything in Mr Robs' original post :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Rob. The ONLY thing about the OP that has changed is the part about 4 months..........