30 seconds

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I ever going to get where I can be sure of my decisions that fast?

phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
With too much cafeine you can do that as fast as you can.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It comes with experience.Decision-making is not a complicated thing and 30 seconds will eventually help you so that you have time to run to the refrigerator).

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

30 seconds to make decisions and fast? This sounds more like (very) slow :rolleyes:
Fast would be if you make (correct) decision with 3 seconds lol

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
you have to make it possible

phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Every type of decision can be made in just one second,based in what the players observes what heappens in the hands during the game.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
30 seconds to make decisions and fast? This sounds more like (very) slow :rolleyes:
Fast would be if you make (correct) decision with 3 seconds lol

Agreed. There are very few hands where I ever feel the need to time bank.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever studied is to never enter a hand without anticipating what you will do on the flop, turn and river -and therefore be able to amend you play (if needed) on every street. That seldom if ever demands thirty seconds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the best pieces of advice I ever studied is to never enter a hand without anticipating what you will do on the flop, turn and river -and therefore be able to amend you play (if needed) on every street. That seldom if ever demands thirty seconds.

I agree with this. Moreover the situations, where people usually feel, they need a lot of time, is when facing a big bet or raise on the river. In live poker this is, where you will often see time extension chips being used, if the tournament uses a clock. And just as a general tip, if a river calling spot is so close, that you cant make up your mind in 30 seconds, then folding is rarely going to be a big mistake. So if in dought just fold.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My challenge is to try and use more of the 30 seconds - keep making split second decisions and then regretting it (I know this isn't uncommon and I'm pretty much over it!).

I like to think of the 30 seconds as something that can be helpful in stopping you overthinking ie You know that a play is right but it is a risk that you may bust, however, you start to second guess yourself and make _-ve EV plays by being risk adverse due to worrying about the outcome rather than just knowing you made the right decision.

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowledge and experience give confidence.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making the right decisions within the time limit ...

that's poker.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely! In fact, 30 seconds is kind of slow. Most poker decisions don't take that long to make, and certainly not every time.

I was impressed watching Season 8 of High Stakes Poker. There was a player, Rick Salomon, that snap made every decision. I wish I could do that and play against people who were the same.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!:hello:
Everything comes with experience-the main thing is not to run ahead of the locomotive.)Start with the basics and gain experience in a disciplined way!Then decisions will be made automatically.:fight:I'm new to poker myself-I didn't know how to play at 4 tables at the same time before-I didn't have enough time to make decisions):banghead:.:dontknow:Now I play 4-6 and although I make mistakes, but not as terrible as before."And experience is the son of difficult mistakes .....":pcguru:

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, 30 seconds is more than enough to make a decision. And in order to be confident in your decisions, you need to improve skills and accumulate experience. Confidence will come with time.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can usually come up with my decision well before my 30 seconds is up, but the time bank is for those occasions I would like longer.

I feel like the biggest key is evaluating the hand mid-game and in advance. For example, on the Flop I'm already deciding what I might do if specific Turn cards come up or what to do if the opponent takes a certain action. By the time those events come up, I'm already a step or two ahead like in chess game.

The biggest reason to anticipate and make decisions before they come up though is for the simple fact that it makes the decision logical. In the moment, the decision can become emotional. I think I should call, but what if they have it...? If you decided beforehand to Hero call then that was decided before the emotion of the moment kicks in and so I'm ready to call them down when the time comes :cool:

This was just an example, but you get the idea. Another large part to the decision process is hand reading ability and this is refined with practice and experience. As the hand is going on I'm already narrowing down the range of likely holdings opponent(s) hold - technically, I'm starting this process even earlier...preflop when they decide to raise or not etc. and even earlier than this in live poker because I can gain a lot of tell-information even before the cards are dealt of things like mannerisms or personality :D

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Even 5 seconds are enough to be confident in your decisions. Confidence comes with experience and with skill.