3-bet of fold as a strategy

O

oshiri

Rising Star
Total posts
I'm struggling to reconcile what appear to be two different camps: 3-bet-or-fold only (except for BB, who is always allowed to call) VS 3-bet-or-call-or-fold. Seems like the world is heading more towards 3-bet-or-fold, but I might be mistaken.

Anyway, I'd love to hear how the community views this strategic question.

Thanks in advance

E

eetenor

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I'm struggling to reconcile what appear to be two different camps: 3-bet-or-fold only (except for BB, who is always allowed to call) VS 3-bet-or-call-or-fold. Seems like the world is heading more towards 3-bet-or-fold, but I might be mistaken.

Anyway, I'd love to hear how the community views this strategic question.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for posting.

The solvers break up their range to 3 bet fold- 3 bet call hands. This means the most +EV way to play is to use both strategies even if we are using just our range alone to decide.

When our V play exploitatively we can then use their tendencies to adjust our 3 bet call or fold ranges.

Hope this helps
:):)

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Total posts
3-bets are for stealing the pot, building a big pot, and/or making inferior holdings fold (narrowing your opponent's range if he calls).

Folding is for hands that you can't call with profitably.

Calls are for drawing hand that you want to improve (small pair or suited connectors). Or if you have position in a pot with just a few players.

E

eetenor

Legend
Total posts
Awards
3-bets are for stealing the pot, building a big pot, and/or making inferior holdings fold (narrowing your opponent's range if he calls).

Folding is for hands that you can't call with profitably.

Calls are for drawing hand that you want to improve (small pair or suited connectors). Or if you have position in a pot with just a few players.

Thank you for responding.

The issue with using 3 bets to make inferior hands fold is we are helping our V play better. They will often fold the lowest equity hands vs our hand and call with the highest equity hands- that is not what we want -we want to keep our V's range as wide as possible if we have a post flop skill edge. Which is what we are all trying to work on by being here.

We often flat a weak V's wide range opens if they open then fold.
The reason we flat is if they open 3bb we raise and win we win only 4.5bb. NL is all about playing for stacks when we have the advantage so we want to take actions that put our V's stacks in the middle. Vs an inferior opening range that happens post flop not preflop.

A good example of this is weak V limps good player ISO raises we have TT we overcall not raise because we want the weak V to call not fold.

Hope this helps
:):)

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Total posts
Disagree. When raise, you narrow your opponent's range, which makes it easier to read their hand.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
in tournaments, i see players now with very low fold-to-3bet%. 3betting narrows hero's range in villain's eyes, more like. against a call, hero's post-flop competency is required. against a 4bet, which rarely happens, then yeah fold the light 3bets.

Folding in Poker