Rubycon

Rubycon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
20 Tips For Newbies

1. Welcome to the exciting game of poker. Poker is about life.

2. Play with an open mind. Learn by playing and/or studying the game.

3. Don’t expect to be a winning player per se. It’s estimated that only 10% are winning players in the long run.

4. As a Newbie, it serves you best to start out as a tournament player. Cash games require more skills.

5. If you bluff too much, you get busted. If you bluff too little, you can be read like an open book.

6. It’s easier to bluff a bad player than a good one.

7. You should play more hands when you are in position - last to act.

8. Don’t fall into the trap of playing too many pots. Poker isn’t about playing most pots, but winning most chips.

9. Money you put in the pot is no longer yours. Don‘t be pot commited, unless you think you have the best hand.

10. Eventually try to profile your foes: Tight-aggressive, loose-aggressive, maniac, calling stations etc.

11. If you hit the flop after raising, bet hard and fast. But don’t overbet since you want callers.

12. AK - Big Slick - is often just a drawing hand. If you don’t hit - and is raised - better fold.

13. You win most money by folding. Money not lost is money won.

14. Give away as little information as possible. Better off not showing a winning hand when possible.

14. Chatting can be amicable and fun. However, silence is gold and gives away no info.

15. Tend to raise the same amount regardless of your hand. 3 Big Blinds is standard and 9 BB is common for re-raising.

16. A tournament really first begins, when “you’re in the money.” Hereafter your sole objective should be to arrive at The Final Table. This is where the big bucks is distributed.

17. If you play 10 tournament, you should be fine by getting in the money 1-2 times. Final Tables are a rarity.

18. Tournamens are 80% luck and 20% skills. Cash games are 80% skills and 20% luck.

19. Don’t enter tournaments that are too expensive. Don’t be “scared money.”

20. Every poker player should always aim to win The Main Event at the W.S.O.P. Somebody has to win. Why not you?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
#6 is actually easier than you (or everyone) would ever think of ... I'd imagine cardchat games very perfect for that ...

Rubycon

Rubycon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
#6 is actually easier than you (or everyone) would ever think of ... I'd imagine cardchat games very perfect for that ...

You might be right. As for cardschat games I’m oblivious. Have not played any.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
You might be right. As for cardschat games I’m oblivious. Have not played any.
Actually i meant that in our games it is not that hard to bluff "good players" ...

Rubycon

Rubycon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
I guess that the quotation marks says it all☺️

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We need to develop
We need to develop our aggressive game, sure, but thats risky tip for beginners. Specially in tournament formats, I find that is easier to get to the money when we stay consistent with a tight game and do not throw much of our stacks trying to steal pots withiout the best hand. There is always the right moment, to be aggressive in position when nobody else is, is just a matter of time and patience.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Point 18 is completely untrue.
If a player believes that playing in a tournament is 80% luck and 20% skill, then he is just a bingo player.
..... But all other points, in my opinion, correspond to reality.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I largely agree with you, but there are some controversial points, I think in poker, the new skill is not 20%, but more luck is somewhere in 30%, the rest I think the skill is, well, this is purely my opinion and you can argue about it endlessly so here's how lucky you are in poker:I CAN'T RYE:

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We need to develop

We need to develop our aggressive game, sure, but thats risky tip for beginners. Specially in tournament formats, I find that is easier to get to the money when we stay consistent with a tight game and do not throw much of our stacks trying to steal pots withiout the best hand. There is always the right moment, to be aggressive in position when nobody else is, is just a matter of time and patience.
I think the point he's trying to make is: Be carefull who your playing with, if the villan has shown a solid game throught out the tournament he has to be dealt carefully and the Hero should exploit begginers opening more pots agains't them.
I think it's a valid tip.

And the usual strat begginers learn are the tight-agressive game, and no doubt it's the ideal strategy, but as your learn the fundamentals and get more used to the game you should be playing more loosely, fighting more blinds, defending your big blind and playing with marginal hands in position way more than usual. That's the strategy for tournament poker of course. if we're talking about cash games that's a hole other story.

I learn recently that one of our mistakes in tournaments is not strive for the win, and be happy taking min-cash. That usually lead us to play very tight and decreases a lot our chances to win the tourney, or even getting in FT.

Poker Tips