• Thread starter This Fish Chums
  • Start date
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DISCLAIMER: I get mixed results with this system. Sometimes it works great, other times I end up spewing chips. I haven't experimented with betting styles to determine what may be wrong, though. Maybe sometime in the future I will. If anyone could expose the flaw in this system I would greatly appreciate it.

I've heard it said you should play 10% of your hands in early position, 25% in middle position, and 50% in late position, but I just can't keep track of this manually throughout the course of a game. So I decided to build this into a base system.
  1. I started by finding a list of Win %'s based on type of hand.
  2. I then created a spreadsheet and calculated "Percentile Rank" of all these hands.
  3. I then decided, in early position I would play the top 10 Percentile Rank hands, in middle position I would play the top 25 Percentile Rank hands, and in late position I would play the top 50 Percentile Rank hands.
This meant I would be playing the 10%/25%/50% rule without having to keep track of it. It also builds variance into the game play automatically because not only are you playing %'s, but those %'s are adjusted based on whether you're getting good or bad cards. It's a self-adjusting, self-monitoring system.

Seats 1-3 (small blind to under the gun) - Play 10% of your hands
Pocket Pairs: TT to AA - 92.10 to 100.00 Percentile Rank
Suited Connectors: JT to AK - 90.10 to 97.00 Percentile Rank
Unsuited: AQ or AK - 90.10 to 92.10 Percentile Rank

Seats 4-6 (middle seats) - Play 25% of your hands
Pocket Pairs: 66 to AA - 75.40 to 100.00 Percentile Rank
Suited Connectors: 87 to AK - 75.40 to 97.00 Percentile Rank
Unsuited: QT to AK - 75.40 to 92.10 Percentile Rank

Seats 7-9 (9 being the button) - Play 50% of your hands
Pocket Pairs: 22 to AA - 66.60 to 100.00 Percentile Rank
Suited Connectors: 43 to AK - 52.90 to 97.00 Percentile Rank
Unsuited: 98 to AK - 52.90 to 92.10 Percentile Rank

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you always play these cards no matter what the action was before it was your turn to act, no matter what your stack size is, no matter how many players are at the table, and whether you are playing tournament or cash?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you always play these cards no matter what the action was before it was your turn to act, no matter what your stack size is, no matter how many players are at the table, and whether you are playing tournament or cash?

These are all things that I think factor into my mixed results. If I was to give any advice on these it would be:

1. For the late position 26-50% range, never raise, but call 1-3BB.
  2. For the middle 11-25% range, you can call or raise up to 3BB.
  3. For the premium cards, play them as you normally would.
  4. I don't know about stack size, I guess you would need 20+ BB to play this way.
  5. # of players shouldn't matter.
  6. I've only used this a lot in freerolls and had mixed results. Not sure about real money tables.
I guess I would say it's good in theory, but I haven't worked all the kinks out yet.