Your Poker Journey in 2021

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What stakes did you start 2021 playing and what stakes are you playing now near the end of 2021?

Did you accomplish your 2021 poker goals? If not, did you learn some important lessons to help you earn more at the poker tables in 2022?

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi Nathan! I saw that you had written something for the community and no one had answered you yet, so I want to be the first. Maybe my answer is not what you expect since I am a low-end social gamer.
1.- I have not bet this year, I do not do it often in fact, but if I did, I think I would do it about football, which is what I am most internalized.
2.- Since I started with this online poker I never set goals in terms of earnings because I was always clear that I did not want this to become a vice that would ruin my wallet, if I am going to tell you if it weren't for the CC community, I would not have met incredible people, who have always supported me and we have had fun along the way. Greetings, hopefully my post will serve you. Happy New Year

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In 2021, I significantly improved my game and thanks to that I started to get better results. I became more efficient, perhaps because I became more patient in the first place. But perhaps my biggest achievement is that I finally became a member of the wonderful CardsChat community. :)

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't leverage much

What stakes did you start 2021 playing and what stakes are you playing now near the end of 2021?

Did you accomplish your 2021 poker goals? If not, did you learn some important lessons to help you earn more at the poker tables in 2022?
I can't leverage my bankroll much in 2021 but learn 90% i know i'm playing much better than i played in 2020 and i want to improve a lot more in 2022 i want to do more studies to leverage my bankroll

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I was not able to achieve all the goals for 2021. In fact, I did about 75-80% of the planned. Obviously, by the end of the year I will not have time to implement my plans 100%, however, I am not upset. At least I already have a step-by-step plan for 2022 and I know exactly what I need to do.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I improve my game a lot because of the study time invested but there is something I tried to do at the beginning of the year and the reality is that I could not establish organization in my game time, I waste a lot of time looking for what to play instead of a day before having an idea clear and more organized, as I play in several rooms before starting it is already a chaos, the same with playlists I waste time, I have to improve that part a lot that although it seems irreverent for me it is not:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I can think of only one very perfect phrase which describes my poker journey in 2021 - No Comment

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My new years resolution for this year was to build my bankroll up and so far I did just that. Now next year my poker goal for 2022 and beyond is to make at least 50k-100k. I'm excited for the challenge.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
American player, mostly I play on ACR (BetOnline is my only other option) and I am 100% an MTT'er.

My "Zero To Hero" freeroll challenge didn't go terribly far this year. I'm up about 200 dollars from my starting point which was around 1000. My highest point was at 1660 in September but the past 4 months have not been kind with hardly so much as anything more than a min-cash... and so it goes!

Still, I have no complaints after beginning with zero dollars in my account a few years back... my career ROI (Return On Investment) remains far higher than any professional poker player in history... in fact it remains at "infinite". :D

I do not deposit nor withdraw, and while I will "take shots" occasionally, I try to mostly follow a 2% rule, my main buyin level is the 6.60's which is 2% of my 1200 dollar bankroll. When I take shots, it is usually in the 16.50's.

Thanks for all your helpful videos Nathan, I greatly enjoy watching your strategy advice, tips and techniques. Best wishes to you for a successful New Year, and the same for all CardsChat players!! One day at a time, one tournament at a time! ;)

P.S. I continue to use the play chip side of poker stars despite the fact we're still banned by our damn government from real money play more than ten years after Black Friday... and if you'll pardon me tooting my own horn, I recently surpassed the 100 Billion play chip mark which is something I am quite proud of and something very few others have done on the site! At least I'm a baller somewhere!! hahaha Again, that is entirely MTT profits, I do not play cash very often (and when I do, I generally just lose LOL).

P.P.S. In September I finally purchased Poker Tracker 4 so now I can finally review and evaluate my play much easier... so I guess my main goal for 2022 will be to simply learn how to use the darn thing effectively. :) I need to become more disciplined with doing hand history reviews and using the reports feature to help me identify areas where I need improvement. I have always played mostly by feel so having a HUD really hasn't done much for my play (and perhaps it has even hurt my game slightly)... happy I bought it, if for no other reason that now I can really track my results over the next year and easily pull up the hands where I just didn't know what to do in the moment, and perhaps this will help me improve my overall game... PT4 is a learning process all by itself, just like poker is!!

Last edited:
micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, my story,
Start with history, starters playing around 2003 when online was great and freerolls plenty. Went from 0 to small bankroll on a dozen plus sites, did cash out a few thousand at one point.
Three/four years ago I had to take a break, which was good since I spent way to much time playing and not doing much productive stuff with my life and family.
Just over a year ago I returned, found small amounts of money still on a few sites but threw most of it away (bad BRM)
I really only play 888 now (on mobile so I can still cook, garden, or whatever at the same time)
My balance broke $100 and dropped to 0 over and over (4 times) (usually my bad BRM still to blame)
I have also won 4 $109 tickets a few $55s and played countless $11-33 games, just can’t get the big win…yet.
I have not deposited or cashed, and my balance is low again, I just so enjoy the game.
If I continue next year, I may deposit some hundreds so I can stop the freeroll grind, and play games worth my time. Also focus on proper bankroll management;)
So the year has been fun, not profitable, but it’s sure good to be back in the game:cool:

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I play at micro stakes and for now I will stay at them. I have fulfilled the plan for 2021 in full. In 2022, I plan to move to the limit higher than the previous one by the middle of the year.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
American player, mostly I play on ACR (BetOnline is my only other option) and I am 100% an MTT'er.

My "Zero To Hero" freeroll challenge didn't go terribly far this year. I'm up about 200 dollars from my starting point which was around 1000. My highest point was at 1660 in September but the past 4 months have not been kind with hardly so much as anything more than a min-cash... and so it goes!

Still, I have no complaints after beginning with zero dollars in my account a few years back... my career ROI (Return On Investment) remains far higher than any professional poker player in history... in fact it remains at "infinite". :D

I do not deposit nor withdraw, and while I will "take shots" occasionally, I try to mostly follow a 2% rule, my main buyin level is the 6.60's which is 2% of my 1200 dollar bankroll. When I take shots, it is usually in the 16.50's.

Thanks for all your helpful videos Nathan, I greatly enjoy watching your strategy advice, tips and techniques. Best wishes to you for a successful New Year, and the same for all CardsChat players!! One day at a time, one tournament at a time! ;)

P.S. I continue to use the play chip side of Poker Stars despite the fact we're still banned by our damn government from real money play more than ten years after Black Friday... and if you'll pardon me tooting my own horn, I recently surpassed the 100 Billion play chip mark which is something I am quite proud of and something very few others have done on the site! At least I'm a baller somewhere!! hahaha Again, that is entirely MTT profits, I do not play cash very often (and when I do, I generally just lose LOL).

P.P.S. In September I finally purchased Poker Tracker 4 so now I can finally review and evaluate my play much easier... so I guess my main goal for 2022 will be to simply learn how to use the darn thing effectively. :) I need to become more disciplined with doing hand history reviews and using the reports feature to help me identify areas where I need improvement. I have always played mostly by feel so having a HUD really hasn't done much for my play (and perhaps it has even hurt my game slightly)... happy I bought it, if for no other reason that now I can really track my results over the next year and easily pull up the hands where I just didn't know what to do in the moment, and perhaps this will help me improve my overall game... PT4 is a learning process all by itself, just like poker is!!

Try using the sharkscope filter 'results by stake' which will give you a good idea of how you do at each buyin level.

Also, you have a 22.2% ROI...not infinity.

The only way to have an infinite ROI would be to never buyin (ie Always play freerolls) ;)

P.S. 22% isn't bad. ;)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I started 2021 playing $1 - $5 MTTs.

I now play $10 - $30 MTTs and also withdrew about $3,000 this year. :)

Goals are all internal development based and results just come as they please. ;)

B

BOBMUSSI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting in JAN-2021, losting 150$ not kowing anything about the game itself, than become a study the game, and playing only micros until 2.20$ sometimes 5,50$, I got back the 150$ lost at the beginning and made a total profit of 350$... and have to say thank you to Cardschat wich helped me a lot with the winnings in the freerolls.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I did achieve all of my goals and then some this poker year, but I do feel that I did not learn or grow enough leaving me with a mixed feeling on the year.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing in 2020 in December. During the year I managed to win a lot, where, playing in several rooms, I earned quite enough for myself. I played in more expensive tournaments for 109 for 55, but in none of them did I manage to get into the prize zone, or I was often unlucky in such tournaments. And all this without a deposit, that is, I earned without any expenses, except time. The level of my game is growing, I notice it and I hope that in 2022 everything will be even better, may we have a skid.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try using the sharkscope filter 'results by stake' which will give you a good idea of how you do at each buyin level.

Also, you have a 22.2% ROI...not infinity.

The only way to have an infinite ROI would be to never buyin (ie Always play freerolls) ;)

P.S. 22% isn't bad. ;)

Yes that is why I added the word "career" before the word ROI. :)
If I have never deposited, my investment will always be zero, and dividing my return by zero is "infinity" (or, technically, it is "undefined").
Of course, I was simply trying to be funny, but I appreciate your correction as well as your compliment! I don't use Sharkscope, at least I don't pay for it... and quite honestly, when I do look up my own results in it, it is always wrong compared to my actual bankroll. Sharkscope misses some tournament results from time to time, and I am fairly certain it also does not compute bounty profits properly... bottom line is, don't trust Sharkscope results, they may be reasonably close but they aren't perfectly accurate.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Micro, low stakes tourneys, sngs, 1-11$ and play the same nowadays, pretty sure i will play the same level later on, too.

Didn't have real goals at all, so didn't accomplish anything - if i would have had, sure i should say now: no, i didnt accomplish - much better without goals..:). (Even like this, generally online poker showed me huge disappointment in this year, but i am playing for the poker part, so don't care much.)

Nope, I don't really care anymore (since a while) how much I earn from poker - i don't lose, that's enough.

Happier new year!!!

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I only started out playing poker much more regularly in December 2021, so I haven't even set myself any targets or milestones yet.

What I'm finding is that I'm thoroughly enjoying playing poker regularly, so will definitely be trying to improve my game further next year.

My milestones for 2022 would probably be to have improved my understanding and gain much more experience in the first part of the year and hopefully put together some decent bankroll to start out with.

Then for the rest of the year I'm going to aim to try and at least double my starting bankroll every 3 months (no idea if this is reasonable or potentially too ambitious, so this will likely change)

Any input (including informing me that I'm an idiot and have wildly too high targets) is greatly appreciated lol.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I was playing every highest micro buyin event $4-$6.00 and was preparing to move up to low stakes $6-$22.00.

I'm still playing at mid micro events.

Goals not met!

Learned lessons - yeah - don't let A/Q beat A/K, and don't let pocket 55s beat pocket KKs all in pre. :confused::eek::confused:

Real learned lessons - fold more, value bet with extreme aggression - when I have it.