Do your parents, family approve of you since you're a poker player?

D

dnos5566

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, players of poker are with problems in home because your lifestyle, in a room the big part of day, facing hours after hours playing in desktop, notebooks or in smartphones... How you guys face this situation?

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other family members are kind of skeptic about it but my wife is okay with me playing. She trusts the process.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have this problem because my son sometimes even stays beside me advising me since I am sometimes very flustered and I want to bet everything.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play in my free time. So no problem.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ideally when you live alone or your family does not ask questions and does not put pressure on you
there are many freelancers in the world anyway

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't normally have any problems as my parents went to Spain a lot, but since covid has hit they've not been able to go back. :(

Mum always wants me to play cards with her. as I am loner and don't get a lot of free time now, I am crying inside!!

She also hates me playing poker as she thinks I will lose all my bankroll, I have told her I have a nitty bankroll and can't possibly lose it, she doesn't believe me!

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My kids are all grown up now and both my husband and myself play poker online and we both love poker to boot, so absolutely no problems here. We support each other’s poker addiction all the way!!

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I am a recreational player, I have another job and maybe this is why my family supports me in poker. Poker helps me make extra profits and so far I have had their support.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My family does not really like poker and they don't support me, but I still play and don't let the game disturb my family meetings.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am a free man, I can do whatever I want, I don 't care what others say! Anyway I play reasonable times and I try to behave wisely!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
My girlfriend is critical of my passion. Usually I have to find a compromise to be able to play my favorite freerolls. And although poker is a hobby for me, I still don't have enough time for this hobby.
Good luck.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They only approve when I withdraw money, but this happens very rarely)

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Thankfully, I haven't had any one in my orbit in a long time to tell me when I can or cannot do anything. Makes life real easy when it comes to playing poker for 8 to 10 hrs a day.

Y

Your_Huckleberry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine are cautious, but don't disapprove. I'm not gambling a lot, but they still can't help but worry.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I'm a grown up, I don't have these issues, I also don't play all day, I have IRL things to do.

:top:

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a problem that all poker players will face. Only by showing their scores to family and friends will they understand and support

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, they don’t support my passion for poker as it’s just a game of chance for them. Which gives me a great desire to prove otherwise.

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mother approves that I play poker - it's better than going to pubs and hanging out in the company of drunken companies, here you can also make money.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no problem with my family about playing poker, I play at certain times. I mostly play in the evening and it doesn't bother anyone.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread topic pops up regularly on Cardschat and it always interests me to read how people fare with family, there is also another thread which links to this and its connected to the reputation of Poker.
I personally dont see what i do in my spare time to be anyone elses business, if me playing poker was causing an issue with my family, i would look at that and i can see circumstances where they can be an issue but generally speaking, its fun, harmless and a way to develop a specific skillset whilst trying to win some cash along the way.
I wonder if its cultural as well how poker is perceived, some people instantly think "Gambling", some think it as "Entertainment" and many still dont understand the appeal or have any interest to find out.
Managing a bankroll is self discipline, poker can also be a way to use maths and obviously strategy, live play requires many other skills so there is so much fascination to the game which is why is it so loved and popular.
If i chose to let my family decide what was good for me - i would probably be a priest! lol

L

luckyrnmd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not at all. like in any other things.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

The big problem is.......the wife
She is so angry at me playing that i lose focus and lose when shes near
So i avoid playing with her me

Rgds

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all!
Due to the circumstances, I live with my mother, she is not against my hobby.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They understand it's my hobby which makes me some money. So it's ok for them.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My wife doesn't like the fact that I play poker, so I only play a few times a week so as not to annoy her. I think family is more important than poker.:)