Did you have a poker coach when you started playing poker?

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I started to learn poker from poker strategy site and also my boyfriend who was good player at that time helped me a lot.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Having a coach can significantly impact your poker journey, especially as a beginner. A coach offers personalized feedback, helps identify and correct leaks in your game, accelerates your learning curve, and provides insights that might take years to discover on your own. While not strictly necessary, a coach can be a valuable investment in your poker education, helping you avoid common pitfalls and improve faster than self-study alone. However, self-motivation, study, and practice remain crucial.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Caio Pessagno.

My base is totally expired in this legend.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
my coach was a slot machine, so it was tragic because I perceive poker as death and misfortune
I learned by watching my friends play, and I often watched TV poker shows, and of course I learned by playing. I didn't read any books, I didn't take any poker courses, and of course I didn't have a coach.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There was no coach, I had to study everything myself.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately, I didn't, and I regret it a bit now. I spent a lot of time to get a minimal knowledge base and start winning a little bit. And if I had hired a coach, it would have been much faster and better, all the information I would have received from the coach would have been more useful and effective and would have been better remembered. But I just wasted my money and a lot of time was wasted, because when you study on your own, it's more systematic, I was confused about materials and terms, I read a lot of things that I didn't need and didn't memorize what I needed.) And now I'm seriously thinking about hiring a coach because I feel like I'm standing still and not improving my level.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
my coach was a slot machine, so it was tragic because I perceive poker as death and misfortune
My good friend taught me how to play poker when we were on vacation together. He helped me create an account, talked about the functionality and explained the basics of the game. Since then I've improved my skills and my game a lot and have pretty good results, at least my bankroll is growing dynamically :)

Y

Youvraj365

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MU
Chips
no coach at all for me
i just play and still playing on my own.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I have been playing poker for fun since I was a kid and I don't remember who showed me the rules of the game.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I didn’t have a poker coach. That’s probably why I play so poorly.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I never had a coach for any of the games I play, I started by watching Videos of the pros playing and to get a greater understanding of the games I read book after book, Some incredibly helpful others not so much, but I can honestly say I have never lost a dime playing Poker.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I started playing poker 7 years ago. My friends played often and they taught me the basics of the game. Since then I play regularly, 4-5 days a week. Poker is my favorite hobby :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My colleague at work often played poker and gradually I became interested as well. I started playing in 2018, and for me, poker is a favorite hobby that always brings me pleasure.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
No, but maybe would've been a good idea.
Otherwise, it is very likely you get stuck at a basic-low medium style

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had a poker coach, I learned a little bit from every player I played against and of course I also got a lot of information from community sites with the game of poker.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had a coach, but i would like to do some tournament reviews to fix some details in my game.. It is very important for evolution and all good players do it(y)

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have never had a poker coach, I have learned everything self-taught and watching some tournament broadcasts

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never had a coach. I learned to play from streams of famous poker players.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When the trees were big, for me, the tragedy of the universal scale was a bad mark in some subject at school. While studying at the institute, I realized that everyone makes mistakes and we need to benefit from them for the future. When I went to work after institute, I thought that it was no longer necessary to study and the mistakes of the past would not be repeated, because I had learned them well. And when I came to poker, I realized that I had not learned anything in this life and therefore my studies continue...

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It wasn't, I watched a friend of mine play and that's how I got into it.
I learned the rules myself from different places, but I never coached myself. Let's say it shows in my game :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My poker coaches were books, but that was a long time ago.

IPlayToWin

IPlayToWin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MD
Chips
I never had a poker coach, because I tried to learn from my mistakes, and I still do same thing.
You can watch different poker streaming, and you will learn.

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I didn't have a poker coach when I first started learning, though I did read books like Sklansky's Theory of Poker. I also played a lot for play money at the beginning :D

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The cardschat forum will provide you with everything you need to learn poker properly.
As for me, I am still learning poker skills and strategies by repeatedly playing, correcting my mistakes, and benefiting from interacting with players and watching them on the Internet.
Your intelligence and love for poker will determine how well you excel and master the game.
Good luck:)