what do you call it...

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theres nothing really that insulting too it. One player is basically telling another player, that they know they have them beat. To me its more like telling the opponent to fold and live to play another hand. People also make bets on exactly how many chips a person has left, its not really meant to be insulting its just a confident play.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's called > "Leaving them some busfare for the ride home"

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'll sometimes bet the exact amout a smaller stack has just to let people know at the table that if i'm in a pot i'm going for your stack and not just a pot.I usually do it so people will think twice about playing back at me when i'm in a raising mood and i want alot of folds,it can also help you get walks late in a tourney when the blinds get up there and it can be a good boost to your stack to help make the light calls with hands that can hit the flop well.also if you do it enough then don't do it till you have a quality hand people may call you light because they think your just making a move.just another play in the playbook if you ask me.

ruth99

ruth99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I think that is an insulting move myself. I would probably bet over his head...which is also probably a bad thing to do

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I think that is an insulting move myself. I would probably bet over his head...which is also probably a bad thing to do

Do you mean come over the top with your 1 chip raise?

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen many instances where a person would bet some weird amount, probably to make a more intimidating chip stack graphic, as some posters have pointed out. I just ignore that stuff and play the game.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it actually annoys people I'll remember to do it more often :D I normally just do it when I'm bored only playing a couple of tables...

xXSmuggla

xXSmuggla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i've seen some players do that, just dont let it screw with you mind or your game. Play the hand you normally would and dont let it aggravate you

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it when im trying to steal a blind, its to let you know I have a darn good hand.

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rather than putting in a bet that would leave another player with one chip if he were to call me, I tend to put in a bet that is one more than what my opponent has. So if he has 2,922 chips, I will bet 2,923. Don't really know why I do that but I suppose it shows the opponent that I know what chips he has (and I've typed in the number rather than used the slider) and I'd quite like him to call me!