Necessary to leave school or job to learn poker?

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quit your job or school only if you earn more money playing poker than you do at work and regularly.:evil:

Y

yoshi352000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Simplest Way To Look At It.

Don't Leave School, Don't Leave Your Job For Poker

If on the side you're making more at poker than you would at your job and school over a solid amount of time, than way your decisions. Otherwise get back to studying/work.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
out of question, poker its only a game, quit school??? are you nuts?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that every promising player simply feels the potential for professional growth and therefore such a player does not need to leave school or main job. The professionalism of the players is not in the lack of education or main job.
Good luck.

mj22

mj22

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CY
Chips
Poker isn't a game or a hobby for a specific age, so at a young age if you start learning poker in your free time is a way to achieve skills by the end of college.
So you are not missing anything if your going to school and practicing poker at the same time.
GoodLuck to all youngsters !:cool:

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can do many other things in addition to college like a part time job, excercise, socializing and still have plenty of time to play and learn poker.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why leave anything at all, if you can combine. I think the combination is the best option. If you learn to combine these things, then you significantly minimize the risks.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to play poker professionally, then it probably makes sense to quit your studies and work! Because no talent can compensate you for your lack of free time! To be competitive, you need to learn a lot and play a lot! Good luck!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should keep in mind that very few percent of all poker players manage to get to professional level so that they manage to live only from the game. Poker is hard way to earn easy money. Here is very good article describing what are the difficulties of being pro poker player:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2020/09/professional-poker-player.html

For 98% of all poker players keeping your standard job and being recreational poker player eventually getting some additional income from poker is the best approach.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am absolutely against leaving my main job and studies in order to fully immerse myself in the study of poker. After all, the main job is your only ticket to a quiet, measured life. And when your standard of living exceeds the average, you can invest in development in poker to maximize your chances of winning poker. But this is not all you should be able to control yourself, if you have a tendency to excitement, it is better not to test your fate.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that one activity does not interfere with another. If you have time for several different activities, you like to do different things in life, and not devote yourself to one thing, then you can combine different activities, it will not be worse from this. If you are not interested in anything else in life except poker, then you can study only this game all day and play it all day. It depends on what kind of person you are, what interests you in life and how professionally and seriously you decide to play poker.
Work or study is also essential to life. You need to work so that you have money for life, and you have to study in order to be smarter and more erudite.

Last edited:
Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone thinks they quit school or work to learn how to play poker (= become stronger).
Is it the best wat to learn it?

For starters, I think talented players can be stronger even if they have main occupations.
It means that players do not have professional talents if they cannot win with their main occupations.

there is time for everything there are many professional poker players with university degrees, so you can play half machine while you finish your studies if you are in the middle of your career, the only reason you make that decision to leave your studies to play and dedicate yourself to 100% poker is that all your income comes from poker and you have a very solid bank to survive and live poker for a long time and you are a winning player and that all your income comes from poker and cover all expenses and you are in path to being a professional poker player.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is no reason that can make a person drop out of school. and what will you do if you fail to become a poker champion?

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thankyou for your posts.
Recently I´ve thought that it´s better to keep studying than leave to study.
Because a certification works forever.

I feel that a talented poker player doesn´t feel this type of doubts.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think at all that you need to give up your main activity for the sake of poker. After all, poker is a game first and foremost.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a look at the stats. If you're not in the top 5% on the internet, you are not making any money at playing poker.

Sure, you get into the money often, but only the to 5% are making a profit. The rest are not even winning enough to cover the buy-ins they lose, when they don't get in the money.

At one time, I was in the top 15%, and I was in the hole. I made it into the moeny often, but not deep enough to be profitable.

Don't quit your day job, unless you can get into that top 5%.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think leaving work is too risky. I am convinced that you can always find a compromise and successfully combine work and poker.

Z

zrok_ar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please don't drop out of school for poker! at a minimum, you should be able to read reviews and calculate profit ))

hgleb

hgleb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Take your time, maybe Poker is not yours:rolleyes:

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.You are wrong mate.You can do both with no problem at all.Good luck in everything..

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you're a rich guy or have a kinda good heritage, go for it!
Good luck!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty consistent responses here, but I will pile on with my support to just say no.

There is no rush. Stay in school, keep working. Many people support the idea that only 3-5% of the players are truly winning players. It is great to commit to something, but you first need to know if you can or will be one of the top 3% of players. When you hit a point where you are consistently crushing the big games, then you can begin the idea of re-orienting your life. Poker is a brutal game.

Just one mans opinion.

Good luck and God bless.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A necessity?

No, it is not a necessity to leave school or a day job to become proficient in poker. Back in the 80's, I didn't leave my job until I was making more at poker, though the income wasn't as consistent. I would suggest the only requisite before leaving a steady revenue stream would be to build a sufficient bankroll first to overcome the inconsistencies involved in playing poker, or any type of gambling for that matter.

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learning poker

in order to learn poker, you don't need to leave school, stay at school, study hard, find your path and reach your goal and play poker on the side, poker is a game of information so au much as you can handle the knowledge you can play poker better. for playing poker better you need to watch videos of poker, you need to study books, and at the end, you need to play this game

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more free time you have, the more you can dedicate yourself to studying and playing poker, but we know the limitations that many face over time, so abandoning studies and jobs instead of making us progress in the game may end up effecting us in other situations that will reflect on the quality of our games.

I see the report of some players from my country who started playing to pass the time, conciled in the beginning with their usual lives, and when they realized that they were making constant gains they decided to change their lives and abandon jobs or studies that would not give them the same return.

I currently have almost no free time, I can hardly take a moment to concentrate and study or play, I know that only next year I will have better conditions to play, yet I still try to reconcile and play in my free time.