Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
There are many factors to do that, what is your position at the table?...how many chips do you have?...how many chips do the villains have? are you in prizes or still in the bubble?

there are too many variables to answer a single question.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the only reason I know for folding aces is, as u said, in a sattelite bubble where u dont need to risk anymore.
Otherwise, I can't find any fold.
For the AKs, there are few more reasons to fold, in many ICM spots u can fold it whithout felling bad.

iveta777

iveta777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i fold twice AA and KK in one mtt in one hour after flop and turn then with AK i loose its a terrible run out ....

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Do you ever fold AK preflop?
I folded AKs preflop because it was a satellite bubble, there was no point in risking it, I was in the prize, I would even fold AA.
Can't remember last time I folded AK preflop. But I have actually folded AA on the bubble ☘️

bredinha

bredinha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think AA has no fold now Ak fits fold to enter ITM

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
The difference was minimal, even though you were second you could have been left out, in your place I would have at least limped, if you are someone who doesn't limp, they will take it as SlowPlay and Possibly Fold, or in any case, someone with less chips will take it as weakness and will raise you with a worse hand, so you will have a better chance of removing it.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't retire with AA before the flop or when I'm in the bubble, as it's the best hand in the game. If you don't pay with AA, what are you going to pay with then? The truth is that that is the difference with those who go for the positions and those who go for first place.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Well sure in a satt as you say you have already won all there is to win, .... can't think of too many instances where I would fold AA other than that, AKs would have to be a very specific situation also..

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I have never folded AA but I am sure the situation will happen at some point down the line. AK is more common to fold, if you can put your opponent on high pocket pair and most likely KK or AA, I have definitely done this at least a few times in person and online although probably not in a freeroll online as people are often more aggressive with a wider range

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, AA only folds if it's a satellite bubble. AKs normal fold for example in the hand in late position, if there was a raise before me, 3-bet, 4-bet
think of this possibility... final table 3 players left ,with these payouts :1st $600K , 2nd $400k, 3rd $175k . youre in BB with 75k chips, half of which you have just posted . the button and SB both have equal 1 million chip stacks and there is a shove and a call in front of you . i know i am folding pocket aces there !

Slow Horse

Slow Horse

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Just lost a pay out position because I called an all in pre flop with AK. The other guy had a QQ... Should have fold.

M

MCQUITAV02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MX
Chips
Only in bubble trying to avoid bad beats

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On preflop AK I reset very often, especially on bubble, AA I never reset.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Regardless of the situation, I wouldn't give up on AA preflop, then it's my chance to increase my chip count! As for AK, I remember only once giving up while in bubble position

PokDeal

PokDeal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FR
Chips
Depending ICM.
At bubble or payout range, I can fold AK and even AA.
Depending on your position and stack value, depending also what other players did before : if hand has been raised preflop, or 3bet... it's not an easy fold but I have no problem with it.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK can be an easy fold in a multiway pot or especially if a thight player is in.
AA I dont think I would fold it pre flop against 1 player, with more players it depends on reads, but I really dont like AA in multiway pots.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you ever fold AK preflop?
I folded AKs preflop because it was a satellite bubble, there was no point in risking it, I was in the prize, I would even fold AA.
I think it all depends on the goal. If a player is only looking to get into the bubble zone, he will easily fold even an open-ended flush draw for any significant opponent bet. If he wants to take a higher place, and even more so to win the tournament, then even with a pair of deuces he will try to squeeze out the maximum. Failure is inevitable. But if you refuse to fight, the very kind of a winning combination that put you in the lead will bring more significant harm to your further game and not only in this tournament. To be or not to be - you decide!

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The idea with respect to tournament play is to get to the final table with a Big Stack in order to get to the top three positions where most of the payout prize is found and a Big Stack in order to survive the frequent coin flip scenarios you will encounter once you make it into the money as the blinds and antes increase while your stack decreases hence there will be more risk to you going broke. So IMO you need to play AA and those premium hands in order to build your stack but of course you need to balance that with the ICM considerations (Chips are worth more as the tournament progresses) and yeah making it into the money ie take very calculated risk on the money bubble but still I'm definitely not folding AA if I'm the bigger stack and probably not folding KK pre-flop unless I will be eliminated and I have a decent stack size to get into the money and move up the money ladder. It also depends on my opponent and the situation lets say if everyone folds to them and they go all in from cutoff with 15BB or less and I have a KK, AA I'm probably at least calling or going all in to isolate if I'm the larger stack. They are more desperate to build their stack and they are in good stealing position. So I should be way ahead pre flop.

idhemmy

idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I generally do not like to fold AK preflop, as it is a strong hand. However, there are some situations where folding is the right decision. For example if I am in a satellite or tournament bubble and need to preserve my stack to make it into the money, I may choose to fold AK

W

Weeestler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I think it depends on how many players still playing with you at that moment. And AA realy tricky hand, too many options to beat it))))

CardFather

CardFather

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I have fold AK preflop many times but AA I've only folded once preflop was on the money bubble for 160 bucks and I folded cause there was 6 guys in all in . All of us had pairs and king hits saved my tourney life and my winnings

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yesterday in the tournament, I continued playing preflop with AK after my opponent's big bet. And as usual, I lost. So I'll think very carefully next time.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It's easier to throw an AK, especially if several people have already gone all-in before you, and they're even following you, but I don't think throwing an AA is good even in the bubble. It's obviously not an unbeatable hand, but if you don't try to win with that hand, then with what?

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
AA never but AK yes, it depends on the position and stack of the rival

Folding in Poker