Chris Ferguson's Bankroll Management

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently passed the $3000 mark at one of my favourite sites, from an initial deposit of $30.

I have never succeeded in building a big BR from absolutely nothing, though. Those very early stages, trying to scrape together a couple of dollars in a freeroll and then grow it in the tiniest of the ring games, are too much hassle IMO.

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this

Hi all,
I read about chris's challenge a few days before it was posted here, they also had a graph of his progress but I couldn't quite work out where he actually was in terms of bankroll, anyone else work that out?

Anyway I would love to give this a go, as Egon said the hard part is playing those freerolls and managing to keep those couple of dollars until they add up until you have enough to start playing the real money tables, that first part could take a couple of months and would require a great deal of patience.

My question is when do you start the timer/countdown? From your first actual win or from a date, from the first freeroll you play in that you decide to do a challenge like this or like I said from the first actual money won.

I noticed that Chris's challenge must have been running a while so it wasn't posted like the day after he decided to take up this challenge so my guess is that it's recorded from the first win, anyone confirm this?

It wouldn't be a bad idea if there was any players here who thought they genuinely had a chance at achieving something like this and giving it a go, maybe starting a thread from a particular time and posting results until a certain goal was reached, or not. I know it can be done, don't know if I have the staying power needed for that initial build up, getting knocked out of the money on the freerolls so many times before getting in the money etc...what you think??

Tony ;)

Last edited:
B

bulletsaa123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey guys, i am currently doing this. i have about 60 bucks on ub right now from nohthing, and a whole 1.27 dollars on bodog from the freeroll i played there yesterday. i plan to try to build up my bodog one and ftp through this sites freerolls and to get my ub one up to 100 soon

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'm going to give this another crack - I'm expecting it to take forever though: because I'm in Australia, weekends are about the only time I can play a whole freeroll (unless I want to be playing the bubble at 3:00am, when I sure ain't gonna be playing my best!)

I think it might actually be harder to do this on Full Tilt than other sites too, because they don't offer 1c/2c cash games. The only option you really have once you cash in a freeroll are the $1.25 SnGs - and even then, they only offer two forms of NLHE (90-player and 9-player, from memory?), HORSE and Razz at that level, and the HORSE/Razz games don't draw many players.

Anywho, if people are interested I'll post updates from time to time

D

djd02_2000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too am going to try and use this, been reading and making notes!

S

smithsj1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started this same challenge on BetFred a few months back and won $1 in a freeroll there. The trick on BF and related sites is getting into the FR as all 1,000 seats are normally taken in about 90 seconds after registration starts..:eek:

Anyway I was grinding the $0.09+$0.01 SNG's for a few weeks and I'm now up to about $4 but to honest I've not played it for a while so I do need to take up the challenge again.

Interestingly I was listening to a podcast from Bryan Micon the other day and his Limits he recommends are way higher - 200 times buy in for MTT's and 100 for SNG's and 500 bb for cash games. I personally think my risk tolerance isn't that low so I'm happy to go someway between the two recommendations. :deal:

Hard2Handle

Hard2Handle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't tell you how many times I tried to move up too fast in limits. I believe it's the #1 form of going broke. Maybe even worse than playing wasted!!

Hard2Handle

Hard2Handle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't tell you how many times I tried to move up too fast in limits. I believe it's the #1 form of going broke. Maybe even worse than playing wasted!!

G

gra605

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my strategy too - but some sites give free bankrolls from time to time and its nice to have a head start. Trying to grow with freerolls at the moment, dipping toes into small sit n gos and tourneys too.

S

shreg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i was up alot then my hubby lost it all last night :(.

B

Baab

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best part

The best part was being able to sit down at a low limit tournament and see Chris play at same table. Now I can say I played online with Chris Ferguson, but don't have to tell them the stakes.

harry0815

harry0815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I asked Chris 2 weeks ago, where he stands. He was at ~$2300.
Well, I made ~$50 on FT from nothing. Just played some FR´s and a tip for next year, try Fantasy Poker on FT. If you make it to the FR´s, you get easy money!!!!!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I made ~$50 on FT from nothing. Just played some FR´s and a tip for next year, try Fantasy Poker on FT. If you make it to the FR´s, you get easy money!!!!!

Nooooo - more people might mean actual competition! :D

It's true though - if you're a decent player and put even halfway competent players on your 'team' you should be able to make some easy money. I qualified for two events this year, and I only started playing with about a fortnight left to go in the World Series. Bombed pretty early in both though. Sunday afternoon US time = 6:00am Monday morning Australian time so I had to leave both to get to work :(

V

VinnieMac3601

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My br management really needed help before i read that article. I won $125 from placing 2nd in a freeroll once and burnt it up too quick by playing games out of my range (i.e. trying to "double up quick"). I was less mad about losing the games than the fact that i won 125 from a FREEROLL and managed to blow it! I started working those ideas into my accounts now but lately i havent deposited any money into my accounts so im working soley of freerolls until i can get into a worthwhile tourny. I have been keeping a little track of my progress, i have some money in each of my accounts but not enough to brag about yet.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Update: Chris Ferguson’s Live Account Balance is $20,152.67

getchart2.php

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice that he is at $20,000+, but I could not take that swing from $18,000 to $8,000 in less than two weeks in stride, could you? Was he practicing what he is preaching?

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do hereby solemnly swear to practice bankroll management from this moment forth!:angel:

Great post! Something I need to pay strict attention too

M

MooseLee420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the post, It is a very good reference. I think that he has "concluded" his experiment. I did play with him at a $5 Horse tourny on FT. (I cashed, he did not.)

LittleSip

LittleSip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll $$$$

Its nice to be rich, but I just make money from freerolls. Won $1200 just from freerolls, although it takes several years lol. Wife won't let me gamble our own $$$, so it freerolls. I find once you just win on a site they cut you off. Dont give you anymore hands. I think that is cheating. And they say they r honest. I think it BS.

Have a good day.

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is wat i try to apply to my brm and it works well, a little refresher like this was nice too, helped me remember it to the exact words.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thankyou-thankyou-thankyou!

That article has had me flummoxed for the longest. I figured he had to mean 10% of my money. But I mean, he's Chris Ferguson, who am I to second guess the man they call Jesus?

So basically, I can move up a level when I hit $50 total(meaning hit the 5c/10c table with the recommended buy-in). But I want to wait until I have at least $55(just a nice, albeit tiny bit of cushion to land on when I fall).

Thanks so much for the clarification(now to do even more math for my personal goals, but I like math when it's games related).

E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive always been impressed by what Chirs was and has been able to do. It just shows how great a player he is to be able to make 20,000 dollars from nothing. Also, this is a wonderful example of great bankroll management, which i see a lot of poker players need these days, because they have no patience.

L

Lokstar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll managemnt

Could some one please explain chris's part of bankroll management about playing at cash tables? I dont understand the following statement:* If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more
than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me.*

what does he mean by the money on the table? Does he mean the money in the hand? or everyones stacks at the table?

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management