Big stack vs low stack

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve seen so many situations in tournaments where inevitably the big stack draws cards like a magical magnet. But unfortunately laye in tournaments you have little choice. I was cruising with 8,000 chips with only 100 people left into the money, when I’m dealt AK hearts.
The big stack with 80,000 chips ofcourse is all- in. I know AK is a sucker hand & I know I am one on one with big stack & I have the better hand. My general philosophy is play good cards. So I go all in with reservations. Big stack has A-10 off-suit
Flop comes like clockwork 2-9-10 then A to make me feel good, then K? no ofcourse not a 6.
I’m busted out. Another example of Big stack magnetically pulling cards out of his a_*s.
And I knew this going in. But I think in same situation I’d do it again. If I was maybe 30 spots to the money I may have folded.
So although in retrospect I should have folded.
and maybe folded into the money, you never know if I’d get those cards again.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have a short stack you don't have many options. If your 8000 chips are less than 20bb, I think it is fine when calling all-in in that situation. You just consider folding when you wait for a few players to be eliminated to get ITM.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the largest stack wins more often than usual, but for me it is a crime to fold AK with a small stack.

davidjavi31

davidjavi31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to focus on playing the hands correctly and not on the results since poker always has those things, in the end if you play your cards well you will have good results in the long term. by the way you are not the only one who goes through that situation. :D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, what are blinds? Getting it in with 8k and 80k stacks are completely different when blinds are 50/100 and 500/1000, so this information is important.

Second, being '100 away from the money' doesn't mean anything. If your goal is to just wait for the money every time you play mtts, your better off just taking your buy-in and putting into a savings account. You'll earn more long term this way.

Third, you're being result oriented because you lose to a weaker hand. If you would have won, this would've been a completely different post or you may have not felt the need to even write about it. Don't think so much about your results and focus on your decisions. Decisions are more important in end.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was cruising with 8,000 chips with only 100 people left into the money, when I’m dealt AK hearts. The big stack with 80,000 chips of course is all- in.

If someone else had 10 times as many chips as you, you were not "cruising". You were a short stack in danger of being blinded away. So ask yourself, why it was, you only had 8.000 chips, while he had 80.000? Maybe you had been playing to tight and not tried to steal the blinds and antes enough. If so then this is the leak in your game, which you need to fix. On average AT has 27% equity against AK depending on the suits, so AT winning is certainly not as special or remarkable, as you make it sound. Its a competely normal part of the game and does not mean, there is anything wrong with the RNG.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good call. You have clearly followed your opponent's play.
Unfortunately, domination didn't help.
The main thing is not to get upset - this is the right decision. Good luck will come to you.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing surprising.When i have a big stack i often look at the flop looking for luck.Small stacked players always expect a good hand and often lose.Oddly enough AK is a strong hand but not ready)))So my advice to you is, when you have a big stack, play a lot of hands, but only carefully, then you will be successful.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve seen so many situations in tournaments where inevitably the big stack draws cards like a magical magnet. But unfortunately laye in tournaments you have little choice. I was cruising with 8,000 chips with only 100 people left into the money, when I’m dealt AK hearts.
The big stack with 80,000 chips ofcourse is all- in. I know AK is a sucker hand & I know I am one on one with big stack & I have the better hand. My general philosophy is play good cards. So I go all in with reservations. Big stack has A-10 off-suit
Flop comes like clockwork 2-9-10 then A to make me feel good, then K? no ofcourse not a 6.
I’m busted out. Another example of Big stack magnetically pulling cards out of his a_*s.
And I knew this going in. But I think in same situation I’d do it again. If I was maybe 30 spots to the money I may have folded.
So although in retrospect I should have folded.
and maybe folded into the money, you never know if I’d get those cards again.
Sometimes you loose and sometimes the other wins, that's poker. But one day the winner takes it all :)

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
To assert this, you need a lot of statistics. Then you need to make a correlation analysis. Once upon a time i met on one forum a topic where a person conducted such an analysis. If you believe those data, it really turned out that on that poker room (i don't remember which room it was) the big stack won more often than it should at the correct frequencies...