value of AK suited

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm so glad people like you are out there to keep us silly low posters in check. You've taught me a valuable lesson tonight. If you have less than 50 and say something that the great wvhillbilly disagrees with, you are obviously an idiot and just looking to get to 50 posts. Is that about right?

Just 2 more.

Do you even have a post in this thread?

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some interesting responses on this topic so far. I guess my question to the people who doubt the value of AK...what is a better hand to you other then the obvious ones of AA or KK?

I've been using pocker tracker to track my results for awhile now and i'll give you the results of my AK suited versus unsuited.

This is out of a total of 18,029 hands (i've only been playing 2 months and change) so judge for yourself how representative it is.

AA - Had 79 times...and won 83.54% of the time
AK suited - Had 53 times...and won 73.58% of the time
AK off suit - Had 140 times...and won 55% of the time

I was really surprised by the difference in suited versus offsuit too. Some of the posters are right here about it being a drawing hand..it is that. But it is also alot easier to walk away from AK or any suit then a hand then pocket AA or KK is. What I see alot in online games are people who just aren't willing to give it up and thats when they lose big.

D

djlee888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A K is always worth going all in for. for me even if someone has the low pocket pair you even got the possibilty of hittin two higher pairs or if suited, even the flush. it is a very valuable hand. although i would chose to raise big but not all in as you could always bluff whats on the table. once ur all in ur committed and its too late for a bluff once its all out:confused:

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bodog freeroll today: SB with AK today I lost against 88 BB only two in the hand. Knocked out of tourney as a result

J

jtberrym

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to

limp with suited ace x....i want to see a flop....i know i run the risk of letting some donk hit two pair or some crap like that but i am looking for a flush when i have a hand like that....and if i limp with an ace people who may have a flush draw themseleves wont think i have an ace high flush because i limped...try it sometime and see how it works for ya.

bwrobbel

bwrobbel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with above that it's usally worthless if you not hitting an ace or a K on the flop. I really dislike the hand, probably even more than A J. It's a great hand, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't go all-in preflop, nor would I expect great things from it.

M

markpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace King, suited or off, is a great hand. The reason for this is due to the fact that if you catch any pair, you have great chances of winning the pot, which i cant say about any other hand other than pocket pairs... If you catch a pair, its sure to be the highest on the board and you have the best kicker to go with it. This is why its considered to be one of the best, some say even better than Queens. Statistically queens win more hands, but you are capable of winning more money with kings since you wont feel as threatened as you would with queens. For example, if you get queens preflop you are hoping with all your might that an ace or king don't come on the flop because you know if they do, the person who called your raise is probably winning. With kings, you are first of all hoping for any of those hands, and you are capable of looking past the flop even if you are raised knowing that if he is bluffing you are beating him, and if he isnt your chances of catching aren't that bad either... Good luck at the tables :).

A

antizzle23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a great pre-flop hand but after that if u dont hit get rid of it fast cuz it will usually get u into trouble.
i usually like either limp so i can get rid of it or play really strong pre-flop
many players overplay weak As sometimes

T

tas02

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A few months ago I was in a hand at a 2-2NL table. It limped around to this kid in middle position and a big stack (about $400). With $12 in the pot, he pushed all-in for $400+ :eek:

After everyone folded, he proudly turned over his AKo.

:withstupi

He couldn't understand why several of us laughed at him, and he defiantly insisted "I didn't want to get drawn out on". :dontknow:

M

mjd5228

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think ur losing chips by limping...but always remember ..changing your style of play is crucial... maybe every other time you should limp... or just go by staright up instinct...AK is verrryy strong and when i have it i usually raise it uip..but thas just me... hope i been helpful . thanks

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the posters are right here about it being a drawing hand..it is that.

This is one of my favourite quotes. It ranks up there with "AK is just A high" and from someone who said they don't like AA: "It's only a pair".