Return On Investment(ROI)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Come off it, someone asks how you calculate ROI and he's given the wrong formula, and you're trying to shoot me down for giving the right one?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really refuse to be drawn into such a stupid argument, and I'm not trying to 'shoot down' anyone. All I will say is there's an old saying about there being various ways to skin cats which I feel is appropriate here.

I'll take my leave of this thread (unless it actually get interesting somehow) with my favourite quote!

FPaulsson said:
It's not wrong; it's the same thing. Only difference is that the way Chris calculates it, your ROI will show up as "1.x" where x is the percentage, and your way it will show up as "0.x" where x is the percentage. Use whatever way you're more comfortable with.

Show me a worked example bearing this in mind where my formula gives an incorrect answer and I will admit I'm wrong. gogogo!

Last edited:
Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Edit: Unnecesary spur-of-the-moment comments removed.

Last edited:
Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
Show me a worked example bearing this in mind where my formula gives an incorrect answer and I will admit I'm wrong. gogogo!

To take your example, from your formula

(Total winnings) / (Total buyins) = ROI

I win $10 from $100 in buy-ins.

ROI = $10/$100 = 10%. Wrong. It's -90%

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Working from base 1 it's -90%.

Really, this is getting silly, can we just agree to disagree? :)

I admit I was probably drunk/tired or something when I made the originally quoted post 'cos I'd usually say profit, but even in my drunk/tiredness I wasn't actually wrong, per se.

J

Joe03681

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to sharkscope.com my ROI is 24%. I'm still confused as to what a good score is so I'd like to know if that is strong or not.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Joe03681 said:
According to sharkscope.com my ROI is 24%. I'm still confused as to what a good score is so I'd like to know if that is strong or not.

It is good (how good it is depends on what level you are playing at, and how much data you have)

Your ROI% only really means anything if you have a large data set.

EG if the 24% applies to 1000 sngs at the $55/$109 level....then big thumbs up. If it applies to 50 sngs at mirco limits then a smaller thumbs up :)

Regardless, a +ve is still a +ve. On most sites around 85% of people have a negative ROI%.

Welly

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i cant tell if im just tired or i am actually reading the same argument over and over....

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i cant tell if im just tired or i am actually reading the same argument over and over....
Both.

I think Dorkus and Bombjack are just trying to artificially inflate their post counts. ;)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both.

I think Dorkus and Bombjack are just trying to artificially inflate their post counts. ;)

Either that, or they're doing a great job of providing a distraction from my dismal stats that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Thanks guys :hello:

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Returning to the question of what is a reasonable target:-

On my favourite site for SNGs, where I feel the opposition is very soft (no I`m not telling you where, find your own fish :rolleyes: ) I have an ROI of 35.39. This is after well over a hundred games.

My average over the other sites I play is 12.66.

I have read elsewhere that 35 is the highest figure you can realistically expect to maintain, and this seems to match with my experience.

SquibyBoom

SquibyBoom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's been awhile scince this thread has any posts. But here it goes. I'm a new to poker been playing just a few years. But im truly focusing on getting better. And to under stand stats better. So I started a bank roll of 50$ to play .50 cent 9 man turbo sit n goes. I've done a 51 game sample ( meant to do 50 but I played one last one to help the numbers lol) I have the ITM of 32%. I've won 1st 10× 2nd 5× 3rd once. I've spent 25.50$ and made 26.59$ to me that's seems pretty poor but if I do the ROI formula profit/investment ×100=ROI , that means I have and ROI of 104% . What is your guys take on these numbers . I was going to do another tally at a 100 games. I just wanted to see how I'm doing.

B507

B507

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahoy there - `SquibyBoom` !
What`s up - brigante ?
What about the weather - near Ontario Lake`s ?
Some words about ROI..
There is one pretty resource :
http://macropoker.com/
I can tell you - such a very-very smart guy`s made it. Someone of them I know very close. All they is very good & experienced in the math.
Anyway, they propose to distinguish the concept and meaning of ROI : they divided into 3 categories.

1. ROI-std – a player’s ROI according to the classical definition: profits divided by the sum of invested money.
1XCw2eqa38oqxT

2. ROI-bi – the player’s ROI in buy-ins: for each tournament, a percentage is calculated based on buy-ins won/lost, and then the ROI is averaged over all tournaments.
Q3w-b0GV38orPV

3. ROI-adj - an indicator that takes into account the importance of tournaments: more weight is given to the recently played tournaments, tournaments with a deep structure, those with higher buy-ins, etc.
h82TtrHW38oreY

So, as you can see - all of that kind of ROI`s have the different values.
Which one of them exactly need for you - choose by your`s !

P.S.
dam ! the images - not show here, so - I post in next one the link`s to the images.
By the way, moderator: how I can to delete one of my post ?

Last edited:
B507

B507

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some words - about ROI

Ahoy there - brigante `SquibyBoom` !
Just - take a look to the one resource :
http://macropoker.com/
When you open the bookmark `FAQ` - you can find there that there is at least 3 kind`s (type`s) of ROI:

1. ROI-std – a player’s ROI according to the classical definition: profits divided by the sum of invested money.
https://yadi.sk/i/1XCw2eqa38oqxT
2. ROI-bi – the player’s ROI in buy-ins: for each tournament, a percentage is calculated based on buy-ins won/lost, and then the ROI is averaged over all tournaments.
https://yadi.sk/i/Q3w-b0GV38orPV
3. ROI-adj - an indicator that takes into account the importance of tournaments: more weight is given to the recently played tournaments, tournaments with a deep structure, those with higher buy-ins, etc.
https://yadi.sk/i/h82TtrHW38oreY
As you can see - there is very different value in that 3 kind`s of ROI.
Anyway, which one exactly you need - is only your own choice.
Good Luck - at the table`s & in your life !
Play hard & smart !

richierichnz

richierichnz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's been awhile scince this thread has any posts. But here it goes. I'm a new to poker been playing just a few years. But im truly focusing on getting better. And to under stand stats better. So I started a bank roll of 50$ to play .50 cent 9 man turbo sit n goes. I've done a 51 game sample ( meant to do 50 but I played one last one to help the numbers lol) I have the ITM of 32%. I've won 1st 10× 2nd 5× 3rd once. I've spent 25.50$ and made 26.59$ to me that's seems pretty poor but if I do the ROI formula profit/investment ×100=ROI , that means I have and ROI of 104% . What is your guys take on these numbers . I was going to do another tally at a 100 games. I just wanted to see how I'm doing.

You’re doing well buddy. My ROI is also around that mark. Keep grinding buddy :)