$2 NLHE Full Ring: Top 2 pair vs flush draw

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only had 4 hands on villain but he was immediately coming across as a total maniac, he had just 3 bet 4 pots in a row upon joining the table.

Generally, I don't 4 bet AKo playing at 2HL, due to the amount of nits only 3 betting extremely tight with just AA/KK. Looking back at this maybe I should have 4 bet in this particular case, due to the original raise being small, and then the 3 bet small also, from a villain who just 3 bet 4 times in a row! I could have thrown 15-20BB (or maybe 25BB with so many players in the pot?) at it.

On the flop I raised then villain re-raises. I have TPTK, I'm calling this all day long. I don't really credit him with a flush draw.

On the turn I've checked intending to check raise. Yes it is a tiny sample of behaviour, but this villain just seems to be throwing chips at everything. The danger of the flush is certainly real now, but equity calculator says I am far enough ahead for this to be a profitable call.

Anything wrong with my logic here?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
SB: 99 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 100.00, Hands: 2)
Hero (BB): 122 BB
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 18.92, PFR: 16.22, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 37)
UTG+1: 39 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
MP: 173.5 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 25)
CO: 124 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 100.00, 3Bet Preflop: 100.00, Hands: 4)
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 8.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 138)
SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has A K
fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, CO raises to 5 BB, fold, SB calls 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB
Flop:(20 BB, 4 players) 2 8 A
SB checks, Hero bets 13.5 BB, fold, CO raises to 37 BB, fold, Hero calls 23.5 BB
Turn:(94 BB, 2 players) K
Hero checks, CO bets 50 BB, Hero raises to 80 BB and is all-in, CO calls 30 BB

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should add I'm almost certainly playing check/fold on the turn to most villains at 2NL. Bluffs are few and far between. If villain was a nitty or tag regular I feel like I need to find a fold here. Does that sound reasonable also?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely a 4bet preflop. Some bad player opens 2bb (no one good opens 2bb from this position). After CO 3bet him to 5bb and it mostly looks like isolation a limper, not a real 3bet, because small bet sizing. SB calls and you decided to call it too. Imo it's a big mistake. You are OOP, you create a multiway pot and most of the time you won't win this hand postflop. Even if you hit A or K it won't be a nice spot to you. Mostly because of multiway pot. So definitely a 4bet. I would prefer to make a fold preflop than try to play multiway pot with offsuited broawday hand (even if it's the best offsuited broadway in deck).

As played donkbet is reasonable. You don't want to see checks and see another spade in multi. When CO raises it's like thing I'm talking about. It's like: I hit TPTK and can't fold in multiway. Problem is that you have no idea where you are, because you made big a mistake preflop. Probably he raises you with range which beats you. I can't imagine he makes this with AQ. So it's probably a set or AK. Sometimes two pairs. Like I said. His minimal 3bet looks like isolation. Not a 3bet. Sometimes he could do that with flushdraws but ace on the flop is in spade so he has less flusdraws there. If we want to call a flop vs a raise we just make calldown. Especially on that K turn which is in spade. Otherwise our call wouldn't make any sense.

I generally don't like to analyze flop, turn and rivers if I see our hand should already be played another way on preflop. Analyzing more streets sometimes is bad. It's like talking about next streets and action when we should already play it in different way. This is just make spot more and more complicated and often I have a feeling that we just add more money to our previous mistakes.

so generally preflop: 4bet > fold > call
flop: donk is ok, but still we could play check/call. After a raise from villain call or fold. I have my own rule: if I have no idea with what kind of hands villain could make some action and if I don't know if my action is profitable then I click fold. Especially in multiway pots. If we choose call, we have to ship turn vs his bet.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice, thank you.

I won't spoil what he had yet, maybe TenJack will want to tell me all things he thinks I did wrong first :laugh:

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:eek::D:D Lol! Cant decide if thats a joke or a jab, but i will still add my 2 cents!

I agree, 4-bet pre. Honestly i make this really huge. 7x or so. We don't want to play AKo oop in a mulit-way. Theres a reason its called the Anna kournikova: It looks pretty but it really doesn't win.

As played, if your opponent is a spewtard that bets at every flop, check-call here. I call his raise when we donk as well, though.

Turn, yucky spot but i think I gii. All of his flush combos now are basically suited connectors like 87, JT, QJ, etc. A lot less action because the A and K are on the board. We are still ahead against some AxQs, AxJs combos, as well as A8 that just tried to bluff out some weak preflop actin then caught a big flop.

If he flips over a flush or 88 for a set, then we still have outs but, lets face it, we are getting stacked.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha! Was definitely a joke :)

Here is the painful ending:

Hero checks, CO bets 50 BB, Hero raises to 80 BB and is all-in, CO calls 30 BB
River:(254 BB, 2 players)9
Hero shows AK(Two Pair, Aces and Kings)
(Pre 68%, Flop 94%, Turn 80%)
CO shows 7Q(Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 32%, Flop 6%, Turn 20%)

CO wins 245 BB

A double whammy. I played it wrong. But he had that junk! Sigh.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is something you shouldnt be sad about you got him all in on a draw. great job keep it up.this post shouldnt be a oh so sad poor me.It should be a look at how much I had my opponent dominated.Again awesome job DO IT AGAIN!dont let it phase you or else you might as well find a different game ;) gl on the table

Last edited:
TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dang what an idiot is all you can say, and walk away glad you play .1/.2 not 100/200! Good call, bad card is my saying in these spots. In the end we all love people who gii with Q7o

Last edited by a moderator:
Full Flush Poker