Does anyone use a Poker Diary for self analysis?

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm considering creating a poker diary/log whatever you want to call it for live cash game self analysis.

There are Apps for tracking bankroll and results but I'm not aware of any apps or templates that provide any sort of hand trackers for live games.

Does anyone know of any poker diary templates that may exist? Kind of hard to explain what I'm looking for as I'm not sure what I want exactly myself but it's not a hand tracker as much as it is a space to do self evaluations on a given session.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm considering creating a poker diary/log whatever you want to call it for live cash game self analysis.

There are apps for tracking bankroll and results but I'm not aware of any apps or templates that provide any sort of hand trackers for live games.

Does anyone know of any poker diary templates that may exist? Kind of hard to explain what I'm looking for as I'm not sure what I want exactly myself but it's not a hand tracker as much as it is a space to do self evaluations on a given session.

This is a great idea. You should create one and more information is better. Someone else using the template may want to just omit some of the line items.

Obviously table, room, stakes, game type, names at the table, time of buy-in, major hands, length of time at table, profit, mood, etc.

Good luck !

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, poker its just a hobby for me. I dont wanna spend time analysing... just play when i can.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are apps for tracking bankroll and results but I'm not aware of any apps or templates that provide any sort of hand trackers for live games.

Yes self analysis is important many do Challenge threads on CardsChat I found that due to other people input also important if am not knowledgeable or a better way of doing something exists too.
I made a few improvements to my knowledge about the game overall on and off the felt which can be just as important as actual play tilt,losing when tired, processor fees or other costs for example.
Will be honest with myself for 2020 try to learn by my mistakes see where this work in progress finishes and see what I can learn about myself and poker in general.
Time can blur our memory when it comes to certain facts money won or lost too even if not recorded.:)

Last edited:
J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I was keeping very detailed records of each game. What went right, what went wrong. I kind of got out of it when I did a week or 2 of multi-tabling though. I should go back to that. I think it was really helpful writing out where I went wrong and thinking through it a bit.

M

MyPokerCoaching

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this, and I think it is one of the best ways to actually analyze yourself ;)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is a really great idea! I think I may join you and do the same!

The easiest thing would be to just keep a notepad on your phone and e-mail it to yourself after the session. That way you have it organized by dates and you can put them all in a specific folder of your e-mail account.

I don't know if a template is really needed because it may hamper your creativity a little!

Good luck! And thanks for sharing this idea!!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a really great idea! I think I may join you and do the same!

The easiest thing would be to just keep a notepad on your phone and e-mail it to yourself after the session. That way you have it organized by dates and you can put them all in a specific folder of your e-mail account.

I don't know if a template is really needed because it may hamper your creativity a little!

Good luck! And thanks for sharing this idea!!

Good idea. I just keep it simple with old fashioned pencil and paper. If a hand baffles me, or I think I should analyze it deeper, then I just write it down after the game (from memory, so it is best to do right after the session is over). I only write down select hands to look at for later though. Most hands I play, I think it is fairly clear what I should have done just after the hand is over ;)

The key is to learn from your mistakes and look for areas to improve in. There are many tools available I'm sure and I don't know how much they matter. As long as you stick with something that works well for you. I don't think it matters much if you have a diary, App, or whatever else to record information - what matters is your dedication and how you apply that information.