Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker dealers are an interesting mix of personalities, from the jovial, to the chatterbox, to the sombre, and everything in-between. I enjoy most dealer types, as long as they keep the game moving and are professional. Yes, even pros make mistakes now and then, and when necessary, I may help correct their mistakes if my input is of value to the solution.

There is one dealer personality/behaviour that I do not appreciate. Many poker rooms have regulars and some dealers are OVERLY FRIENDLY WITH THESE REGULARS. They call them by name, tell stories about their families, and carry on with them as if dealing the game was secondary to their role at the table. Visitors, like myself, get referred to as "seat 2", "sir", "you", and other generic names. Most of these poker rooms have electronic displays where the player's names are on screen for dealers to see. In my opinion, dealers who call one player by name, should do the same for all other players. Their personal friendships with the regulars are not part of the game and should be left out of the poker room.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like dealers with positive attitudes, smiling, and joking with players mainly, who deal accurately at a steady speed, don't have to be extremely speedy.

Had this one dealer who was bald, quiet, and talked softly. Good dealer but had a blank look on his face the whole time like he was in the game himself. I'm still not convinced that he wasn't Agent 47 from the Hitman games.

pabloT

pabloT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he fulfilling the rules of the game for everyone, I'm happy .. hahaha

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree to Disagree , I've played with some players that do not like it when a dealer calls them by name. They are there for a purpose not to make friends. Me , if a dealer isn't calling me by name , I don't really care. I'm a talker though so usually dealers will start calling me by name almost instantly. There are also dealers who I do not care to chat with because they are super uptight and just overall piss poor attitudes , and yes I get that dealing poker you meet all sorts of asshole and loud mouths but if it bothers you that much to where you can't be polite......Quit

GGrinder

GGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dislike the clown type dealers.very off putting.just deal the cards

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, dealers who call one player by name, should do the same for all other players. Their personal friendships with the regulars are not part of the game and should be left out of the poker room.

Really? Why?

If I'm a regular at any business, I expect the service to be more personal / intimate. My bartender knows my favorite beer. My waitress knows my regular order. My barber knows how I like my hair to be cut.

Why should dealers be required to act in a different manner?

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As long as the dealer treats everyone the same and deals at an even pace, I'm good. I don't like it when the dealer treats everyone like they're a long-time friend.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i dislike the clown type dealers.very off putting.just deal the cards

I would have to agree with you on that one. They take away from the game. And most times their jokes aren't that funny. I find that they tend to slow the game down a bit. But if it helps make the table looser than I'm willing to put up with them.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Really? Why?

If I'm a regular at any business, I expect the service to be more personal / intimate. My bartender knows my favorite beer. My waitress knows my regular order. My barber knows how I like my hair to be cut.

Why should dealers be required to act in a different manner?

Poker is different than a bar or barbershop, where the interactions are expected to be personal. In a poker room, the dealer should be treating all players equally. If they cannot bring themselves to call everyone by name or no one by name, at least drop the gossip and chit chat. We are here to play a game and a dealer talking about last night's party with his/her pals at the table is not really an inviting atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is different than a bar or barbershop, where the interactions are expected to be personal. In a poker room, the dealer should be treating all players equally. If they cannot bring themselves to call everyone by name or no one by name, at least drop the gossip and chit chat. We are here to play a game and a dealer talking about last night's party with his/her pals at the table is not really an inviting atmosphere.

I enjoy it when dealers are personable at the table and have no problem if they know some regs by name and engage in discussions with them.

ps - please use the standard color and font when posting in the forum. Using other colors to emphasize a specific word or phrase is acceptable. Standard is easier on the eyes. :)

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Entitled with attitudes - hate this type.
Cash game: No, I'm not going to tip you, and yes you are still going to have to do your damn job - get used to it.

Tournament: I was already forced to tip you when I paid my entrance fee, no you won't be getting another one. Yes you will still have to do your damn job.

:jd4:

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Disagree, live poker is meant to be a social event.
Play online if you want faster hands and no chat.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's nice to have a dealer that engages with the players at the table. Nothing wrong with a little small-talk, but if they're only there to do their job and don't feel like having a conversation, I'm very okay with that too.