bad holdem experience

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one day i thought i would go to town and buy some alcohol and because of this i thought id just take a minimum amount of cash and after having a few (like9,10 maybe lol)

i was walking through town and saw a sign posted outside a bar that said TEXAS HOLDEM TONIGHT! i was intrigued by this as i had never seen a place in my hometown of wanganui new zealand have events like this i was actually more surprised that others in my town had even heard of the game.

so i went in and went to the table using about $80 to buy $1 chips

and fisrt hand i have a KQ and the flop was J 10 2
i raised in the bb position preflop to 20 and i checked the flop and someone bet and the perrson after them called so i thought i would go all in
(hoping really that they would fold really)

but they both called so the pot was around 260

now from what i knew about the game at the time was if you were all in you stood up and your cards were revealed

well the turn came it was an ace giving me the nut straight and no one had a chance of getting a flush and the only way i thought they could win was to have a pocket pair in hand and have hit thier trips and needed the board to pair on the river to give the a full house or else at best it would be a split pot.

i turned my cards over after they had made thier bets on that turn and the river came and they told me that i had to muck my hand as that was thier rules so i didnt argue with them and it was a small costly lesson so i went outside found my alcohol and walked home angry at myself for getting too excited and losing out on a not so bad pot.

arf

anyways anyone got any bad experiences via live poker?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
house rules are house rules..

Its too bad you lost out on a potential profit, but it pays to know the house rules wherever you play at. For example, to cut down on the arguments, at one player's house, his house rule is : no kickers; if the hand is a tie, you split the pot.
Like in your situ, we learn the house rules, often at our expense. But you live, you learn, move on.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules