Apologizing at the Poker Table

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most annoying to me is when a poker player apologizes for winning a huge hand. This happened to me last night during a poker tournament and the player directly to my left (male) apologized. I told him there is no need to apologize, because if you were truly sorry you would have folded and let me win. :D

Thoughts on apologizing??

Timmi1015

Timmi1015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most annoying to me is when a poker player apologizes for winning a huge hand. This happened to me last night during a poker tournament and the player directly to my left (male) apologized. I told him there is no need to apologize, because if you were truly sorry you would have folded and let me win. :D

Maybe he just liked you?:)

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apologizing after winning a hand is one of my pet peeves. Drives me crazy. If your actually sorry shouldn't you give me my $/chips back?

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apologizing after win against any player is a hypocrisy. Common all we play to win the hand no meter how, right?
And I liked your reply to this person :).

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is rubbing salt to your wound, in fact i use it to tilt my opponent even further (yes, i'm Evil :eviltongu )
I also do that to someone who lost a hand when i'm not in that hand "Orhhh...that's so sick"
Which is why salt is getting more and more expensive!:D

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is rubbing salt to your wound, in fact i use it to tilt my opponent even further (yes, i'm Evil :eviltongu )
I also do that to someone who lost a hand when i'm not in that hand "Orhhh...that's so sick"
Which is why salt is getting more and more expensive!:D

That is EVIL! But I see how that could be effective - maybe!!:p

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is EVIL! But I see how that could be effective - maybe!!:p

Come on, how often you win a big pot with the best hand? It's like once in a blue moon isn't it?
Poker is a game of deception and manipulating.
I dare say 90% of my live cash game session win because i played my opponent well instead of playing my best hand well.

As for you my lady, you have an advantage over most of your opponent (MEN!!!)
I'm sharing with you this because it's like 1/13 billion chances you will be sitting on the same table with me (Honestly i don't like playing with a lady, i have yet to 100% keep my eyes on the table instead of unwanted attention somewhere in between a 'Canyon' with deep 'Carves')
Play your trump cards, use your Advantage over those MEN(Except me) :icon_tong

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's okay to be told that, I say, " it's okay."

Last edited:
Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im certainly not a fan of apologizing for reasons already said but i think in certain situations (for example you loose a very big pot against someone you know on the river for a huge suckout), they really mean it. and its better for your game anyway if you take comments of opponents at the table not too seriously. that being said, it tilted me huuuge sometimes in the past:)

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im certainly not a fan of apologizing for reasons already said but i think in certain situations (for example you loose a very big pot against someone you know on the river for a huge suckout), they really mean it. and its better for your game anyway if you take comments of opponents at the table not too seriously. that being said, it tilted me huuuge sometimes in the past:)

Exactly. I have apologized, maybe once or twice, but not to put the person on tilt. I went FULL tilt. LOL

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I ve apologized too,because I imaginary have replaced the pushed player.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey

I AM SORRY!!!
Ofcource not, No sorry from me will come forth nor do I accept any apoligies...

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You choose what to get upset about. Also any person that has the power to upset you also has the power to control you.

There is nothing wrong with apologizing if you suck out but everything has to be taken in the context of intention.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will not give an apology even if i won with a bad hand

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's more often than not simply instinct. Its built into many peoples character as they would simply issue a quick apology in any number of situations - reaching across someone in a shop to grab an item, appearing a little too forceful to access a doorway first.

Apologizing in poker is tricky but can be used in a sweet, honest manner if the table is friendly. I have (and often other players) apologized for a bad beat and if it is meant sincerely it is often taken well.

Like life, poker does not have to be all aggro all the time!

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly. I have apologized, maybe once or twice, but not to put the person on tilt. I went FULL tilt. LOL

i can imagine some people do this on purpose since they know you are goint to tilt. really best is just to ignore everything at the table if you want to get a better player. in the end its just words and in poker, people like to be morons sometimes. i see that in almost every homegame i play in- people like to tilt each other:D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree with you that apologizing has no meaning , if you feel that way better don't play poker . But he might say unlucky hand (for you ) or good/better luck next time I guess :)

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It drives me crazy too, the best solution to turn off chat :)

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the flip King, I have no time to apologize, Next! Just kidding, I haven't seen much apologizing in live action. Sometimes players might show sympathy for disgusting bad beats like like when AA gets crushed by 2-7 off.

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize only when I seriously bad beat someone. I feel bad when that happens to anyone, but it is part of the game

M

mycannon223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need for talk at all. I don't even open the chat.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I apologize only when I seriously bad beat someone. I feel bad when that happens to anyone, but it is part of the game
For me it is the same, I only do this, when I bad beat someone. Otherwise it is not necessary or could be even considered as irony. Of course nobody is sad to stay further in a game, even with bad beating someone. This is obvious. But I also I think, it is bad to be a bad looser, but nothing worse than being a bad winner. Therefore I think, it is better to keep calm and think twice before writing anything like this at chat.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
When that happens, it is best to ignore it because it is a trick to disconcert the opponent, or how to say bad words the most advisable thing is to ignore and not answer because that is where you fall into your game

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First of all I like your comeback. On a cash table I told someone they could show their sincerity by giving my chips back. They thought that was funny, but I was serious LOL

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The vast majority of the time I see this, is if a guy/lady sucks out. The ol "You should have won, sorry for sucking out". I don't see a reason to be upset by it. I personally don't do it...I want to win and I'll never apologize for getting lucky. But some maybe feel some guilt towards a suckout and that's a natural reaction. Overall, a nothingburger.