What is the current status about online poker sites in the United States

J

JB_ILLINI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has been over a year since I have played online poker. I also haven't kept up on the status of online poker sites in the United States. I assume nothing has changed and it is still illegal to open an online poker site in the USA. Can anyone please tell me if we have gained any ground at all in someday making online poker legal in the USA?
Thanks!

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I know, each state has its own laws, or lack thereof, regarding online poker. I read that in Washington state it is absolutely illegal to play online poker. However, I've read that in New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware it is legal and regulated. I also saw that Michigan was working to legalize/regulate online poker.

The other states (again, as far as know) simply don't have any laws that cover playing poker online. They may have gambling laws, however, but the definition of gambling may or may not include poker.

You'd have to check whether or not playing is illegal in your state.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will slowly role out in many states one by one except the most conservative states.

I would imagine it would eventually get approved in all of the states where weed has become legal.