A 9 off

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deep in a tournament hero, in the BB, gets A 9 offsuit. With about 79000 in chips and blinds at 3100/6200 ante 775. Everyone folds to SB, who has hero covered, and SB goes all in. Call or fold here??

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

Its a Fold
Also depends on previous plays of SB
Any way i would fold
Rgds

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have dropped it too. But if the blinds have grown too much and soon it would have been my turn to post the big blind, equal to my stack, then I would have called

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold that 12bb for my tournament life. I would rather be doing the shoving in this spot than the calling. Says you are deep in the tournament but how many shorter stacks are their as this would come down to ICM as well.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If prizes are very close. Well, for example, there are 1 or 2 extra players left, then I would fold. More is better to call. But this is if you have a stack of 10bb or less. With a good stack, fold.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd usually call. It really depends how tight the SB is. I honestly think the SB (if he's a decent player) will shove really wide, specially against a 12bb stack. Premium hands he may want to either limp shove or mind raise to induce a call or shove from you. I think only A10-AQo dominate you and maybe 99 (but you block 9s) all the other hands you're probalbly flipping or have an edge. Of course he may play like that with a big hand, but he will do it wway more often with a worse hand. You can create a shoving range for him and calculate if it's a profitable call or not, if it was me on the sb it'd definetly be a profitable call for you. All that is disconsidering ICM though you have to know when to risk your chips and when to go thight mode.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The situation is more prone to calling. The hero may no longer have a good all-in card. He has 10BB of stack left.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd usually call. It really depends how tight the SB is. I honestly think the SB (if he's a decent player) will shove really wide, specially against a 12bb stack. Premium hands he may want to either limp shove or mind raise to induce a call or shove from you. I think only A10-AQo dominate you and maybe 99 (but you block 9s) all the other hands you're probalbly flipping or have an edge. Of course he may play like that with a big hand, but he will do it wway more often with a worse hand. You can create a shoving range for him and calculate if it's a profitable call or not, if it was me on the sb it'd definetly be a profitable call for you. All that is disconsidering ICM though you have to know when to risk your chips and when to go thight mode.

You certainly make some excellent points, ESPECIALLY if SB is a good player (known to you). I have seen a lot of tournament streamers on Twitch, when, in the Small Blind, are shoving almost any two into the Big Blind if they knew BB was prone to overfolding. It really does depend on a lot of different factors - if ICM was not a consideration where the pay jumps are not significant, and knowing that the big money is in the top few spots, here's a chance to accumulate chips. Otherwise, you're left with still trying to grind a small stack and waiting for a good spot to put your chips in. At least here, you're heads-up, IN one of those spots, with a chance to double up, and now being the one who can apply some pressure rather than the one having to react to applied pressure from others.

This is one of those situational type scenarios where there is no clear obvious answer, because let's say the pay jump IS significant, then folding is a smarter play because you're potentially committing ICM suicide.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can always fold ha!

Deep in a tournament hero, in the BB, gets A 9 offsuit. With about 79000 in chips and blinds at 3100/6200 ante 775. Everyone folds to SB, who has hero covered, and SB goes all in. Call or fold here??

It would be awesome if the answer was a solid yes or no. as always i pay attention to the player does he shove here often or is he tight how tight how lose?? how many chips does he have. Id lean towards a fold not enough info for a call.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you have a really great spot. It could be really close to a coin-flip, I'm telling you. But still, not so much information for me to decide. I like to see my opps stack, the way it acting etc. It all usefull information to decide wether we can be faced off 55 or J10s or A10, cause not against all of the combinations could we have that coinflip chance.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My decision would depend of the image that I have of the SB from his previous plays and the prize money, but usually I would fold.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to make it clear to you, anyone who folds SB vs BB a hand accompanied by an ACE with less than 20 bbs, is an absolute fish. Call without a doubt

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you need to know what style SB is a player and how many chips they have and how much to decide. If the SB player is tight and has a lot of chips, it's definitely a roll, but if he's loose and has few chips, it's worth giving.

T

TomWH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm on my game, I will likely let go of the hand. Of course there are a lot of factors to consider, but in general, I would fold, and wait for a hand where I am the aggressor. Also, I tend to stay away from coin flips. I would rather play cards I am more secure with, than tossing a coin. We're talking tourneys here, where I have a good history of cashing in. An aggressive player would surely call, but I only get aggressive when the need arises, I'm no Tom Dwan! :D

Last edited:
KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would have dropped it. But it all depends on the state of mind. Sometimes I accept such allins. Sometimes I won and lost. This is poker what can you do everything happens by accident.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very easy call unless it was on the bubble. As I have said many times, situations like this is what, ICMizer is for. Plug the scenario into the program, and it will tell you, what range you are supposed to call with :)

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bubble and pre - bubble - it is fold, you know A9 can lost for any hand. And call other cases.

M

monsieuradl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A9 off

I think that it depends on the situation. If the prices are near, you should fold the hand. It also depends on the stack of the SB, as if it is small, you wouldn't lose that much, and you should make a call.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Equilibrium push fold charts say it's an easy call. That's because with 13BB effective stack SB should be shoving almost anything. If I knew the SB was very tight I might fold if there's a significant pay jump coming. Otherwise I would call.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel this is a pretty easy fold based on global player population.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have called, but I'd definitely prefer to have more information on SB before taking a decision.