shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
It's interesting that the combination of run-good/good play can put these players into these crazy heaters.

Thinking of Fedor Holz, Bryn Kenney and Justin Bonomo in the last couple of years

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's interesting that the combination of run-good/good play can put these players into these crazy heaters.

Thinking of Fedor Holz, Bryn Kenney and Justin Bonomo in the last couple of years

This is my 'pet theory' as to what will likely take place for the foreseeable future.

It is not going to be the much ballyhooed show down between GTO and exploitative play (or any other style). I believe it's the development of truly world class players who bring a deeper craft to the felt than we have seen before. These players are not just studying in a more comprehensive, broader manner...they have played millions of hands. Adrian Mateos was uber-driven and laid out a plan of attack. He moved to London as soon as he was old enough and then commenced to assault the EPT and rise through the ranks so as to play high rollers.

This type of background combined with confidence and then momentum, their ability to play a peak game, is going to make some players feel unstoppable at times. We have already seen this with the likes of Fedor Holtz (as you mentioned above with the other guys noted) and elsewhere I've thrown in the likes of Stephen Chidwick and Sam Soverel.

From my perspective, this is the most exciting time in poker ever. I know some look back to the bygone days of 'character's' at the table but then there were good and bad players. And I can't raise too much enthusiasm for a drunk at the table- on Poker after Dark, okay.

But I prefer to watch the true high fliers take down a tournament playing world class poker - and this generation of players looks like the best the poker world has yet seen.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is my 'pet theory' as to what will likely take place for the foreseeable future.

It is not going to be the much ballyhooed show down between GTO and exploitative play (or any other style). I believe it's the development of truly world class players who bring a deeper craft to the felt than we have seen before. These players are not just studying in a more comprehensive, broader manner...they have played millions of hands. Adrian Mateos was uber-driven and laid out a plan of attack. He moved to London as soon as he was old enough and then commenced to assault the EPT and rise through the ranks so as to play high rollers.

This type of background combined with confidence and then momentum, their ability to play a peak game, is going to make some players feel unstoppable at times. We have already seen this with the likes of Fedor Holtz (as you mentioned above with the other guys noted) and elsewhere I've thrown in the likes of Stephen Chidwick and Sam Soverel.

From my perspective, this is the most exciting time in poker ever. I know some look back to the bygone days of 'character's' at the table but then there were good and bad players. And I can't raise too much enthusiasm for a drunk at the table- on Poker after Dark, okay.

But I prefer to watch the true high fliers take down a tournament playing world class poker - and this generation of players looks like the best the poker world has yet seen.

If I could give this a double thumbs-up, I would! This is spot on! Live poker seems to have an incredibly diverse pool of players and styles more than ever!

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I have watched him playing epts or on other events, and have to say, honestly, I don't understand how he makes it ,as metioned above confidence in yourself, not only in how you handle the game, is probably everything.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Many times I have watched him playing epts or on other events, and have to say, honestly, I don't understand how he makes it ,as metioned above confidence in yourself, not only in how you handle the game, is probably everything.

Lierm- Mateos had a lazer like focus , that is for sure. However, that was in part because he seemed to grasp what it would take to truly make it. He had lofty ambitions as a teenager and then placed himself in an environment where he had little option but to succeed!

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If I could give this a double thumbs-up, I would! This is spot on! Live poker seems to have an incredibly diverse pool of players and styles more than ever!

Glad you agree Shells, these are exciting times for poker!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Congratulations to him , great success to have two wins in just a week . Good money , well deserved :)

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What can I say about him?He is an amazing player,so aggressive ,loves to take risks and he is only 25!.What a remarkable week he had.

S

Slacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats to him. Skill and a lot of run good. Confidence certainly helps.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
At such an early age, it's impressive what he managed to do. And he doesn't seem to be "bored" at all. :D:p

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I wanted to resurect this thread for a specific reason- that of the streams featuring Adrian Mateos etc. are now available.

The livestreams for the party poker Caribbean series were only available via PokerGo. Which meant if you didn’t subscribe or the tournament was not convenient to watch in your time zone you missed it.

I presumed the agreement with PokerGo to show Party Poker live streams -signed mid 2019 - meant the content was locked behind PokerGo’s paywall (such as the wsop present and historic content). However, it appears Party Poker struck a smarter deal than the WSOP. Yes, the live stream was via PokerGo exclusively but Party Poker appears to have retained their rights and have now released a large selection of full daystreams from the Caribbean series, via Party Poker Live on You Tube.

It makes for some fantastic viewing and I just spent the weekend watching the final day of the Millions, 8 hours and 40 minutes (the second tourney Mateos won back to back) although he did not feature until the final couple of hours...great players and very entertaining. In all they have released some 55 clips of the Caribbean series, from interviewsto full day streams.

I was thrilled as I love watching such streams for entertainment and education (I love them running in the background as I play myself) but it occurred to me many might not be aware this content is available, as it is on a delay as such.

I presume this will be the agreement going forward, PokerGO shows the live stream exclusively with Party Poker then releasing the full content and additional materials a few weeks later.