Heads-up Displays (HUD)s

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m currently playing on a tablet(ipad mini), and thus I’ve never used a HUD... though lately I’ve been thinking a lot about HUDs, and that I’m at a disadvantage for not using one... I’ve been playing poker on and off for several years in the form of play chips when I was younger, then onto random lives games, and over the last year or so, for real money on pokerstars. Through my poker journey I would say that I’m a break-even player in the long-run...

Now, do you think a HUD/other types of software available to PC/Laptop players would be a missing key to becoming a better player?

Should I get a laptop ASAP and only play on a tablet secondarily?

Is there an advantage to not having used a HUD? Should I consider continuing without one?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Tried different HUD's so far, and my opinion is that they are only distracting my play. On other hand, they are useful to analyze your hands played and your stats, dunno - I think it is still possible to play without HUD :top:

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder if they've done a survey here about using a HUD to find out what percentage of people use them. I'm sure there's another thread about them here at CC (where I gave my opinion that I don't like them) but I don't think a poll was taken.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am using the PokerTracker, the HUD is very interesting and I am adding more stats while I am improving. Also it is great to have a big database of hands and type of players.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m currently playing on a tablet(iPad mini), and thus I’ve never used a HUD... though lately I’ve been thinking a lot about HUDs, and that I’m at a disadvantage for not using one... I’ve been playing poker on and off for several years in the form of play chips when I was younger, then onto random lives games, and over the last year or so, for real money on pokerstars. Through my poker journey I would say that I’m a break-even player in the long-run...

Now, do you think a HUD/other types of software available to PC/Laptop players would be a missing key to becoming a better player?

Is there an advantage to not having used a HUD? Should I consider continuing without one?

Its also good to work and rework to become a better player, using different statistics to determine what is already good and mistakes. But using a lot of stats can cause confusion and while you were a new user you can use less statistics to not have trouble.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tried different HUD's so far, and my opinion is that they are only distracting my play. On other hand, they are useful to analyze your hands played and your stats, dunno - I think it is still possible to play without HUD :top:

I agree that you can play without a hud. I do it on a number of sites that don't work with the one I use on ACR, my BR is higher on that site as well lol (no deposits). As for the distraction it depends on what you are playing on imo. I have a computer setup with two monitors, soon to go back to 3 22inch monitors. And its not distracting at all

About the only thing I use it for is to collect data and go over my hand history. But its nice to be able to look at someone's VPIP PFR and AFQ

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you can play without a hud. I do it on a number of sites that don't work with the one I use on ACR, my BR is higher on that site as well lol (no deposits). As for the distraction it depends on what you are playing on imo. I have a computer setup with two monitors, soon to go back to 3 22inch monitors. And its not distracting at all

About the only thing I use it for is to collect data and go over my hand history. But its nice to be able to look at someone's VPIP PFR and AFQ

I’m familiar with VPIP and how to apply it to a player to determine their range, could ya fill me in on the importance/meaning of the other abbreviations? pFR and AFQ...?

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, as of late, I’ve been playing Omaha8/Courchevel8 almost exclusively, and straying from hold’em...

Do you think a HUD is more or less important in Omaha?

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used one, and I don't ever plan on using one.

I mostly play online to practice for when I play live for mid stake buy ins, so anything I cannot or would not do live, I do not do online.

T

ttforwin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD

I have used HM2 and see it as a valuable tool in long-term play because human brain cannot remember all the players folding more than avg. after 4-bet pre-flop.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PFR is preflop raise and AFQ = aggression Frequency. But I don't take those results to heart. It's just a guide to remind me if someone is raising every hand or how aggressive they are.

This is a better description

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks acemenow, I think a major reason that a HUD would help is to not just HAVE the stats, but to UNDERSTAND the stats.

I just had my best MTT tournament ever, 5/123 in a $2.20 NL courchevel8, so my game is coming along without a HUD. But I think a HUD might aid me in improving...

I’d like to know just how important a HUD is specifically to Omaha/courchevel. Sometimes thinking about all the cards can make my head spin... and I feel like my play can become too nitty, or too loose and I’ll make a slip-ups/incorrect decisions... Are their any big Omaha players with knowledge on the subject?

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wont deny that having a HUD gives a big advantage. It gives your opponent a face and gets you to have a good analysis on how he or she plays. Using a HUD wont make you a better player right away. Its a tool that helps you learn leaks in your game that you didn't know and gives direction on what to fix. For your opponents, the HUD helps you see the spots or tendency that you can take advantage of.

Right now the HUD I'm using is DriveHUD because it so easy to customize and pretty easy to use. Try different HUD and see what fits you.

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could anyone elaborate on the types of leaks that could be fixed/realized through using a HUD?

Also, is it more/less crucial to use a HUD if Omaha is your game of choice?

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m currently playing on a tablet(iPad mini), and thus I’ve never used a HUD... though lately I’ve been thinking a lot about HUDs, and that I’m at a disadvantage for not using one... I’ve been playing poker on and off for several years in the form of play chips when I was younger, then onto random lives games, and over the last year or so, for real money on pokerstars. Through my poker journey I would say that I’m a break-even player in the long-run...

If you are thinking seriously about your game a nice Hud/Poker Manager its an ABSOLUTE MUST.
Even the very basic stats these huds can provide you like Vpip/PFR/3Bet/Foldto3bet/WTSD its the key to success in micro's.
And i can suggest you a completely FREE for the micros HUD to start and it's called Hand2Note.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could anyone elaborate on the types of leaks that could be fixed/realized through using a HUD?

Also, is it more/less crucial to use a HUD if Omaha is your game of choice?

You'll learn tons of things about your game with a HUD/database. Too many to name honestly. There's a leak busting video here as an example using a poker database. Every serious poker player should be doing this if you really want to get better imho.

http://drivehud.com/blog/leak-busting-with-drivehud/

D

DGautreau86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys, I will expedite my path to getting on a laptop and playing with a HUD. In ways I do enjoy the fact that I can win even at a disadvantage. There must be some merit in playing without a HUD still, but I do recognize I’m setting myself at a disadvantage by doing so... thanks again.