Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Who makes this call here?

60bb's in early levels of a game that has a flat payout structure (akin to a satellite)

Just curious... is this a call you'd make if you are villain here?:confused:

Attachments

• 1ScreenHunter_10 Mar. 31 11.23.jpg
    1ScreenHunter_10 Mar. 31 11.23.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2ScreenHunter_11 Mar. 31 11.23.jpg
    2ScreenHunter_11 Mar. 31 11.23.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ or AK, so early, not calling or shoving either.. you had me there..

I also don't really like playing these hands without a flop. In some situation I have no choice, but going all-in at this point in the game is not part of my usual strategy.

-TRP-

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AKs is very tempting. Ai is Heaven or Hell when the villain comes.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with AQs on my hand, they probably had KK at best, i might still catch some ace on one of those streets & its suited, so.. flush draw.
its early too, so double up can really helps w/ floating, bluffing, or just bluff catching stuff later on

NH GG UL

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with above post, I wouldn't fold AQs neither especially in a freeroll. I also wouldn't shove AKs this early on. I would raise 3x the initial bet and with that flop, make a strong cbet.

Maybe that would have made him fold or maybe he would called down to the river anyways. Who knows with these freerolls.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh no! [emoji33] Someone called SB's AK shove with AQ! They're clearly an inferior player. Everyone needs to see this Terry-ble play.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh no! [emoji33] Someone called SB's AK shove with AQ! They're clearly an inferior player. Everyone needs to see this Terry-ble play.
I need to have a drink with you at some point Mr. Puzzlefish too funny!

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are so small and you shove 3k to pick up a few 100 chips. It looks like you wanted a quick gamble and someone was willing to gamble as well. You know that shove was silly, You have to play the whole tourney to win ya know!. Anyhoo GL on the next 1.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have called with either hand, pretty standard stuff, its only $1

Last edited:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. shove, with caveats..

AK suited is tempting, especially early in tourney, I'd shove; the example noted turned into a true coin-flip, sometimes the wrong suit; these things happen. At least you were truly 50-50.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AKs is just a 3bet/call. No shove. Why call to 4bet allin? Because even if it's early stage people are able to make bad plays and push hands like worse Ax, Kx etc. You are in a good shape versus entire range of bad player on late positions.

about AQs it's a 3bet/fold pre in that situation. Calling allin there is just a bad play. Even if people are pushing a lot wider what I mentioned above I think in early stage you should just call QQ+, AK. I wouldn't go wider if I know I have edge on whole field and I can collect decent amount of chips later.

Anyway this topic is senseless. In poker you should be focused on yourself and trying to make best decisions as you can based on your knowledge. If they played bad you should be happy, because in long run you will earn money, not them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why you go all-in pre-flop with A♠ K♠ - at this early stage of the tournament ?

because I know villain is a drunk and will call off with much worse. Villain has shown a tendency to make poorly calculated 'spite' calls in the past. Pretty sure that's reason enough

If they played bad you should be happy, because in long run you will earn money, not them.

Of course! And I am (& was) happy. Why have you assumed otherwise?

The question was, "Who makes this call here?" (very few answered the question). Perhaps I should've added in some more info. in my initial post.

Someone called SB's AK shove with AQ! .

Seems you have the information wrong from the HH. Why is that not surprising? :confused:

It's a freeroll,,i'm not folding AQs here,ever. :cool: GG.

Well thought out - - fantastic response! (it does answer a question I often have in these games... "What are they thinking? .... Are they thinking?")

I'm of the school of thought where when I'm playing a game for whatever stake it might be, I'm looking to make optimal play. Sometimes that's as easy as making a simple equity calculation and then hitting fold vs. call (or vice versa). I didn't realize others were using different criteria (well aside form the 'patterns' believers and the 'had a feeling' types).

Last edited by a moderator:
damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would just pay with AA or KK with any other hand and would give up, early in the tournament the blinds is low is an unnecessary risk

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The question was, "Who makes this call here?" (very few answered the question). Perhaps I should've added in some more info. in my initial post.

"I would make a call here." A♥ Q♥ is quite tempting.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You played correctly. I would do the same...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
because I know villain is a drunk and will call off with much worse. Villain has shown a tendency to make poorly calculated 'spite' calls in the past. Pretty sure that's reason enough

Of course! And I am (& was) happy. Why have you assumed otherwise?

Seems you have the information wrong from the HH. Why is that not surprising? :confused:

Well thought out - - fantastic response! (it does answer a question I often have in these games... "What are they thinking? .... Are they thinking?")

I'm of the school of thought where when I'm playing a game for whatever stake it might be, I'm looking to make optimal play. Sometimes that's as easy as making a simple equity calculation and then hitting fold vs. call (or vice versa). I didn't realize others were using different criteria (well aside form the 'patterns' believers and the 'had a feeling' types).
So your comeback is to call your two screenshots HH? And then to make excuses for your poor play? You generalized your villain as a drunk that would make spite calls and then you lost by putting your entire tourney on the line for a flip in the early stages. If you're such a successful player, why are you crying about someone overplaying AQ in a freeroll?

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think his move was completely wrong.

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did and so would i. I prefer loose early in and depends on prize package as to risk vs reward. to me it's a good call but thats poker he had you two ways running

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a good laugh reading through all the comments!
especially liked this bit as it reminded me of some I read earlier:
I didn't realize others were using different criteria (well aside form the 'patterns' believers and the 'had a feeling' types).

In all honesty, I can see a call from AQs here realistically.
I mean, when BU just flat calls a bet pre with AQs, which is a very strong hand, it is so under-repped that it can easily induce squeeze bets from SB/BB positions with worse holdings. I could see myself squeezing with AJs from the blinds, A5s, pocket pairs, even smaller ones - therefore I would definitely flat BU then re-shove or call a shove from SB/BB squeeze bets! This is the reason why some decide to just flat call with AA from late positions - to induce squeeze bets

I am not saying that this much thought was put into all the decisions made in this hand, but it is a reasonable play if you actually think about it...

Perceval

Perceval

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One dollar buy in.
Some players are not afraid to lose that.
Some players like bingo.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn't make that call. Well, except in Tilta, he's no stranger to me.