Question on relative value of chips as tournament progresses

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As anyone who plays tournaments knows, when you start say opening blinds (had a typo of blings- could you imagine if it really WAS called blings? how often we'd here bling? ) of 10 20? So you get used to that, then 15 30...

But 1 hour in we're at 100 200

HOWEVER of course stacks are bigger, and it's all kind of relative

Now, I've read ICM has to do with converting chips to money and I THINK it's about this issue.

But clearly by final table, where we all started with say 10/20 blinds at 1500 startup chips, we are betting 3,000 chips small blind etc.

So I find myself doing this conversion at times so I can keep a grasp on just what I'm betting. Sometimes I just divide by 10, or 100 so I can get that value back down to - well say 1,000 becomes 10 if I just drop off the last two digits each time.

Is there a poker term ? or in a HUD - which I don't use? that will do this conversion for me ? some DIVIDE BY that always gets me back to the range of starting blinds?

I just found an open source HUD and I see it's in Python, a language I've avoided most of my life unfortunately, but I already found where in it I can add new stats and features to show, granted hahahaha I have NO clue what the HUD values it DOES provide do, but I see pros use HUDS on Twitch etc... I am thinking of simply coding what I WANT here - which is to provide me a value that converts current stacks back to starting stack range, so I can always think in those terms.

For me - when I see someone bet 8,000 I choke, but then I realize- WAIT - that's the BIG BLIND at final table, and well - in MY mind - I think I should be thinking of 8000 as 10 - because otherwise I'll just think it's some monster raise when it's not. On one hand from an absolute chip count sure 8,000 is BIGGER than 10 but the way I THINK I want to look at it is - seems I need a divide by factor to accommodate that relative growth factor that happens.

SEEMS to me the formula should be including total players and rebuys, to get that TOTAL chips available - so in the end, when it's down to just 7 people from say 400, I can compute relatively - or by PROPORTION a more graspable stack value to think in terms of.

I hope someone out there knows what I'm trying to get at here and knows the name for this.

ICM seems to be about something else, I thought initially ICM was about addressing this relative 'bloat' factor as chip COUNT rises, but then there is also - what THEY are bettting based on THEIR stack, I think that's ICM, such that if 3 people, one has 10,000 chips, one has 80,000 and one has 300,000 - if the 300,000 stack bakes a 30k bet - to the 10k person that's a monster bet - to the 80k it's risky, but to the 300k it's nothing.

ESPECIALLY final table.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see chips, I see big blinds.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. You're making it far too complicated. Instead of backward calculating, try to not look at "chip amount" and look at "number of big blinds". As the blinds go up, your view of the blind value needs to go up.
10 / 20 . . . 60 = 3BB
100 / 200 . . . 600 = 3BB
1000 / 2000 . . . 6000 = 3BB
10000 / 20000 . . . 60000 = 3BB
150 / 300 . . . 900 = 3BB
etc.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even "see" number of chips, all I see is number of Big Blinds. it becomes second nature and I believe it solves the problem you're dealing with.

I have no idea what the skill is called though.

Poker Chips - History of Chips