Pushing like a boss

portuga

portuga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I was watching Kevin Martin playing on twitch another day and I saw that he is really agressive pushing against other players, making a lot of 3bet shoving and pushing with 30-40bb+ effective.
What do you guys think about that? It's a good tatic against good players and should be avoided in micro or we can do that in micro too?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, I was watching Kevin Martin playing on twitch another day and I saw that he is really agressive pushing against other players, making a lot of 3bet shoving and pushing with 30-40bb+ effective.
What do you guys think about that? It's a good tatic against good players and should be avoided in micro or we can do that in micro too?
Why would you want to avoid these spots in the micros when players are more likely to call your shoves?

Without any context, sometimes it better to 3bet shove with a 30-40 BB stack than it is to just flat call. Especially with hands you don't want to see flops with like JJ as it could kill your action or put you in a tough spot to continue. Or if you have a big hand like KK or AA and you know your opponent calls of 30 BB 3bet shoves with a lot of hands, it's better to get it in and maximize your value. Again, this goes down to not losing out on action. So, if your opponent has QQ and a K or A hits the flop, they might able to check/fold and you lose out on value. It also comes down to SPR. If you know your SPR is going to low enough when you call to the point where it's -EV to fold, regardless of the flop, then it's better to get it in.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you are onto something with his play style. But I highly recommend watching him play alot more and get yourself more context to the situations and players he is shoving. Find a pattern and reason to his plays. That way you can incorporate it properly into yours if you like it.