like your opinion on showing

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to show my winning hands right b4 final table when i'm up. Don't show them at ft or earlier in tournament. Just the table before ft. My thought behind it is 1 if i don't hit my cards n bluff they're more likely to fold, but the main reason is id rather them fold if i did hit nut on flop since i'm up don't want to take risk of bad beat and lose my chip lead before final table, and be happy just winning a couple blinds every go around & secure my chip lead for ft. Been criticized some and was curious about other players thoughts on this matter.

THANKS

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right that there's a penalty for gambling before the final table and any spot with payjumps, so that spots which are slightly +cEV (you win chips in the long run from taking them) can be incorrect. But if you flop the nuts or a very strong hand, you still generally want the action.

If you get badbeated getting it in as a big favorite, then don't worry. You did everything you could :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never do this. You are basically giving away free information in the hope, it will confuse your opponents. But usually it will not, and you are not just showing a bluff or value. You are also showing, how you play certain hands all the way from preflop to the river. Live games are more dynamic, and in those I could possibly be convinced by the value of showing a bluff, if someone is already on tilt.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’re giving away free information

in pokerstars I take notes on players, betting patterns, bluff, etc...

You showing me even just one hand will give me info to play against you bluff or not. Not only that I could possibly use this info if I run into you in future games since the note will remind me of your gameplay.

Sure you could show to try to throw someone off but I don’t think you were planning on showing as a move preflop so some of your patterns will be given away like the ranges you have preflop and cards you may call down to the river like inside straight draws.

Part of winning poker is using the information you are givin. You showing me your cards gives me an extra piece of info than you have on me since I don’t do the same.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also this is only online play..never show live

Yep, I believe in giving the information you want them to see... It's not just about hiding info like a hoodie, scarf and set of dark sunglasses lol its about letting them know when they were beat with a visual reference and a smile on your face... just giving that tell tale raise again or pause, check, raise will have them remembering those winning cards you had shown them last time round...

It's an easy extra dimension to the game which does help you if you know when to show and when not....

before i came to CardsChat and played live games i would mess about with the showing and not showing of cards and over time i realized just how effective it can be in creating different emotions in my opponents, some times the effect was so over whelming it would tilt some opponents...

It has to be done right and the intention behind the show has to be clear in your mind...

Letting some one off the hook is showing them you had them beat out right... They'll tend to tighten up their game when you're head to head and they get the feel good factor when they do fold against you, this comes about because they felt good when you showed them you had them beat earlier, they chose to fold and felt like it was a good hero move... Feel good factor...

Letting some one jump on the hook is showing them a blatant bluff or semi bluff... lol when they see the bluff every time they play you it will be a close to all in scenario...

In a game where every conceivable angle is utilized, information is powerful, so why hide all of it? bigging up your wins is an enormous boost to your game play and confidence...

long story short, if its in a CardsChat tournament i believe its beneficial for every learner to see what they were up against and if you're on CardsChat you're either a learner or an experienced player taking advantage of all the learners...

You just need to take one look at the leader board to see who's making a tidy profit out of the struggling opponent pool lol do they ever show their cards if they have to?

:damnmate:

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone shows me a bluff - I'm more likely to call them down the next time. This can be used as a physiological 'trick' the next time we show down. The villain could have the nuts this time - and I'm more likely to make the call - maybe - depending on the run-out and play up to that point.

I attempt to play every hand the same - I'm not 100% at this and I don't think anyone can be with the number of variables that can change a hand, but - I try to keep my betting patterns consistent and I'll 2.5-3x open pocket aces just as I would 3/4 suited, and I try real hard to play the hands the same way.
Although it is good to switch things up here and their - and I do when I'm at a table playing with the same opponents for an extended period of time.

With all that said - I love showing off the ladies QQ, the boys KK and the rockets - especially when villains fold to a modest flop bet.
Makes people KNOW - I ALWAYS HAVE THE NUTS!! :)