I had to walk away - Bad beat or bad play

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 MTT

10k starting, 10 minutes in and I'm at 24k.

So the guy to the right of me has shoved 3 times in the past 7 hands and bet 3BB twice. Only saw cards once where he had A-10.

So now he's at 17k on the cutoff and I'm the button. Two people limp, he shoves and I call with pocket 8s. (This was probably a mistake)
He shows Q-5 and hits the Q on the flop.

So now I'm at 7k with blinds at 500. Very next hand I have 99. Everyone folds, he bets 3BB on me, I shove. Same thing, he calls with AQ, hits the Q on the flop.

I'm annoyed, so I buy back in. At a different table now and getting nothing. After 12 hands I get put back in a table with exact same guy, except he's across the table. I finally get a playable hand with J-10suited as BB. He's like UTG+3 and of course shoves, as much as I want to go after him I don't, and fold, as does everyone else.

So next hand I'm sitting with KK UTG,(Patting myself on the back for resisting and getting a better opportunity) I raise 2BB, two people call, he re-raises to 3BB.
I shove on him, (I was around 10BB now)

Everyone else folds, of course he calls with pocket 6s. Hit's a set on the turn. I slowly close the laptop, grab a beer and go make a sandwich......god damn it.

I know it's variance but damn does it suck when it's coming from the same person. I probably started this all when I called an all-in with 88. I assume that was the biggest mistake, but I'm interested in some feedback and how differently yall might have played it considering I was probably getting tilted.

U

UncleSam86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played fine. Against those annoying players who shove almost every hand at the beginning of a tournament you want to widen your calling range, since you know they shove very wide and they give you a HUGE opportunity to get a massive stack that gives you a very good chance to go deep in the tournament. The other side of this is, of course, the dreaded dark side of the variance, which you just witnessed.

88 wasn't a bad call by any means; it is definitely ahead of this type of players shoving range (if they even have a range at all for doing that) and he just happened to get lucky this time.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
$2 MTT

So the guy to the right of me has shoved 3 times in the past 7 hands and bet 3BB twice. Only saw cards once where he had A-10.

So now he's at 17k on the cutoff and I'm the button. Two people limp, he shoves and I call with pocket 8s. (This was probably a mistake)

So now I'm at 7k with blinds at 500. Very next hand I have 99. Everyone folds, he bets 3BB on me, I shove. Same thing, he calls with AQ, hits the Q on the flop.

I'm annoyed, so I buy back in. At a different table now and getting nothing. After 12 hands I get put back in a table with exact same guy, except he's across the table. I finally get a playable hand with J-10suited as BB. He's like UTG+3 and of course shoves, as much as I want to go after him I don't, and fold, as does everyone else.

So next hand I'm sitting with KK UTG,(Patting myself on the back for resisting and getting a better opportunity) I raise 2BB, two people call, he re-raises to 3BB.

Everyone else folds, of course he calls with pocket 6s. Hit's a set on the turn. I slowly close the laptop, grab a beer and go make a sandwich......god damn it.

I know it's variance but damn does it suck when it's coming from the same person. I probably started this all when I called an all-in with 88. I assume that was the biggest mistake, but I'm interested in some feedback and how differently yall might have played it considering I was probably getting tilted.

This also happens to me quite often.
And it seems this same player knows you are going to lose against them every hand so they just keep looking you up.:mad:
Sometimes even i don't understand this process, but what to do?:confused:
That's online poker:eek:
It just hits you with everything its got;)
But you just got to try and forget what happened, go and chill for a bit and move on to the next tourney:dancing2:

That is why i prefer live poker:cool:

Good luck at the tables:)

L

Lazerx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
woulda played they same....lol in a tourney now i swear the guy can see my cards

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This happens to all of us. I think you played it fine. There are those days that you're not gonna win a hand no matter what you do, and then there are others when you win every one. As long as you're practicing good BRM you should be able to shake it off and move on to the next game.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro rebuy tournaments are full of this. It happens all the time. Nothing you could different unless you just want to sit and fold until rebuy period is up and who wants to do that

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very hard to hold back but you will win in the long run.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
$2 MTT

Poker is patience, lacked patience you will face more of this type of player, and if you lose patience you will certainly leave the tournament, then just have patience you will certainly be well against this type of player who play aggressively every hand