Harrington On Modern Tournament Poker

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
Just curious if anyone has read/studied “Harrington On Modern Tournament Poker.”
What are your thoughts and do you recommend it over his original series of books?

Thanks in advance!

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't read it, or any poker books in a really long time honestly, but I did read his original books some time back. They were solid then, so I'd imagine his newer ones are solid, but I don't honestly know how much he's adapted to the latest games. I haven't played vs. him on a long time now.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much for responding John A, I appreciate it.

I read his original series of books a while back as well, and learned tons. Just curious how relevant his latest tournament book is and whether or not I should stick with his original books or dive into this one.

sissto

sissto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This book is in my bookshelf, I didn't read it completely. But I agree with John A and in my opinion it is very solid. I would recommend it!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I read the originals and I think they are awesome, really worth going back to over and over. They are my poker bible. I liked this update on modern tournament poker as well. It has some new info, some recap of important stuff - definitely worth a read. I love his principle "you never want to do anything all the time."

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Reading a book is always helpful. I think that this person has something to say about poker.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone, it’s very appreciated.

I agree that his original series are solid, and lots of what he says is still relevant even today. The problem I’m having is some of the advice in his latest book is very different than in his original series. Such as NEVER limping in an opened pot, ALWAYS raise. But in his original books, he suggests sometimes open raise and sometimes open limp. And his raise amounts are very different in his latest book, much smaller raises.

His original books are such classics, but he has some very different views in his latest book. So which do you follow and is his latest work a true grasp of today’s game?