This hand?! Unlucky or bad play?

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played a tournament went pretty good built up a nice stack just before bubble.

I opened utg+1 with 99 3x I get called by one player in the bb with a good stack too. (almost same stack)

flop is Q9K rainbow

I bet half pot he calls. turn is a 2 of hearts so thers a flushdraw I bet almost pot he shoves all in I call river 4 spade does not change anything

He flopped a straight with J10 so I lost the hand.

Was this a bad play by me or just bad timing unlucky?

Maybe I should have opened 6x preflop or shoved all in I don't know...?

Thanks for your help :)

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it was a bad play. It was just bad luck. Shoving pre with such a big stack though is a mistake I think.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its best to post an actual hand history in the hand review forum, since then we get all the relevant information especially about stack sizes. What exactly is "a nice stack" for instance? But generally near the bubble stacks would usually be so small, that you should not open to 3BB, and they will also usually be so small, that you can not really get away from bottom set on this board. So probably this was just a cooler, and the only thing, you should consider to change, would be your bet sizes. Preflop 2,5BB might be fine, and on the turn full pot was probably a bit on the large side. But again this depends on, how much was left behind. My plan here would certainly be to play for stacks, unless I was very deep, so the turn bet needs to set it up for an easy river jam on any clean card.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been in your place many times. On the bubble, you need notifications of how wide the villain is calling. Now I think I don't want to see a big pot in this situation, when there are a lot of players left with less stacks than me, otherwise I would like to push preflop. I think it's more of a bad play than a bad luck.

MusterIsBack

MusterIsBack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, you played well and this was your chance, but if I were you, I would not have played. When the tournament approaches its own Buble, you no longer have to play even 99 with each hand because you have come to make money. I think at this time wait until you enter the ITM and then have your normal game. This way you have less stress

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think its a bad play however its important to be aware of the flop texture and why your opponents are calling your bets. Trips are good you just have to be sure the two cards your opponents holds does not build a better hand than yours.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep if you are near or at the bubble and you can fold into the money, fold 99 from early position.

stampide

stampide

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad situation. I sink its not bad play but in a bubble you nead fold

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played a tournament went pretty good built up a nice stack just before bubble.

I opened utg+1 with 99 3x I get called by one player in the bb with a good stack too. (almost same stack)

flop is Q9K rainbow

I bet half pot he calls. turn is a 2 of hearts so thers a flushdraw I bet almost pot he shoves all in I call river 4 spade does not change anything

He flopped a straight with J10 so I lost the hand.

Was this a bad play by me or just bad timing unlucky?

Maybe I should have opened 6x preflop or shoved all in I don't know...?

Thanks for your help :)

Good day!
I don't think it was a bad game.
You and your opponent played right, he just got a little more fortunate.
Good luck at the tables!:D:D:D

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we need to know the number of blinds, how many players until the money etc. Without having the ICM details, with 7bbs shove it, with 50bbs raise to 2.5x, with 25bbs fold it.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You played the bubble. It was a dangerous game on the bubble. And you're out of luck.

D

dianasamu245

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice would be that I played these types of hands opening smaller bets of type 2.1 or 2.2 when I saw the flop and being an obvious straight draw try to control the pot your hand is strong the bets did not seem bad in fact it is more bad luck what a bad move

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played well except bet sizing

Its best to post an actual hand history in the hand review forum, since then we get all the relevant information especially about stack sizes. What exactly is "a nice stack" for instance? But generally near the bubble stacks would usually be so small, that you should not open to 3BB, and they will also usually be so small, that you can not really get away from bottom set on this board. So probably this was just a cooler, and the only thing, you should consider to change, would be your bet sizes. Preflop 2,5BB might be fine, and on the turn full pot was probably a bit on the large side. But again this depends on, how much was left behind. My plan here would certainly be to play for stacks, unless I was very deep, so the turn bet needs to set it up for an easy river jam on any clean card.
What he said...

I think we need to know the number of blinds, how many players until the money etc. Without having the ICM details, with 7bbs shove it, with 50bbs raise to 2.5x, with 25bbs fold it.
And what he said...

My advice would be that I played these types of hands opening smaller bets of type 2.1 or 2.2 when I saw the flop and being an obvious straight draw try to control the pot your hand is strong the bets did not seem bad in fact it is more bad luck what a bad move
And what he said...

Unfortunately, you played well and this was your chance, but if I were you, I would not have played. When the tournament approaches its own Buble, you no longer have to play even 99 with each hand because you have come to make money. I think at this time wait until you enter the ITM and then have your normal game. This way you have less stress
Not what he said...
This is absurd - don't fold 99s pre even on the Main Event Final Table bubble. If you get 3bet by a player you know has a strong range - of course consider folding, but open folding 99s pre on any bubble is overly cautious and not profitable. If you NIT up like this you will find yourself min-cashing often - and watching better players play final tables from the rail.
Follow advice of fundiver TeUnit and dianasamu - not MusterIsBack. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
R

ROYBOY714

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I very much agree with that response

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why you play for all stack for such dangerous flop? This is not good play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands