Frustration time

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every now and then I become pretty frustrated with my poker results, and now is definitely one of those times.

I play a large volume of online MTTs and have been making plenty of deep runs lately, but I just don't know if I will ever consistently score big to move up the stakes like I would like to. Twice this week I final tabled MTTs with 400+ player fields only to bust first at the FT. It's not like I play bad once I reach the final table, everyone just has so few BBs at this stage that you have to shove as soon as you pick up a decent hand. Tonight I shoved AJo for about 7bb from UTG+1 against a min raise from UTG. He snap called with A7o and flopped a 7 and it held. If I win this "flip" I am top 5 in chips with a pretty nice score where I could potentially make 20, 30, 40, or as many as 70x my buyin, but instead I suffer the bad beat from an A7 snap caller and am left with a lousy 6x return on my $10 investment after over 5 hours of play. There is no way not to be frustrated after busting in 9th twice in three days. Part of me says that if I can make it this far in these MTTs that frequently I should be able to take one down sooner or later, but it hasn't occurred yet, and if it doesn't I may be stuck playing microstakes forever.

Rant over.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain. Dominant hand and you lose. Hardly a 'flip', but I see what you did there. I also see this a lot online (okay, especially at the site you play at). That aside, maybe your time should be spent at seeking strategies to amass more chips before you get to the final table. Easier said than done, but maybe look for those bubble opportunities to take advantage of tight play and so forth. I'm sure you're probably doing some of this already. You are obviously playing well. Maybe just need to add another wrinkle to your game so you're not in these all-in scenarios right out of the gate at the FT.

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a critical bad beat.There´s nothing you can do than put your head up and go ahead get another final table.

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, every time you arrive at a final table and fall early, would it really be just badbeats?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They just don't seem to know or care about how bad their calls are...

As a buddy said to me, "You almost always have ~33% equity preflop with Ax"

Ya that makes me shudder - I guess that's what these poker idiots are thinking

If A7 was a huge stack then probably not a mistake for him.

Sounds like about half your table was <~10 BB so a big stack is looking to snap off some desperate shorty shove - or he was so short he was just looking for an Ace to get it in - despite your action.

My similar but less profitable story - we approach the money in live tournie.

Folds around to me on the button and I instashove AKo with 11 BB.

Idiot in SB asks for count and then gives me the call I wanted...."Do you have a pair?" he asks sheepishly. "What does it matter?" I answered as I eagerly turn over my AK and he looks shocked and shows A6o with the comment, "There are plenty of sixes in the deck."

What I meant to say was, "What does it matter how far behind you are?" lol

Yup, 6 on flop, 6 on turn and leave the table kind of stunned.

This has happened three times lately....A6o, K2h and Q3h.....all 3 had me covered by just a few chips - maybe 1-3 BB left if they lose they are completely crippled.

It ain't just online bro....

Good luck !

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Head up and hope that the next time the variance will reverse and you will give a suckout on the final table. I remember the biggest bad beat to this day when there were 8 of us on 7,000 players. My AQ lost to AJ. What should a player say in a $ 1 million buy-in (One DROP) lost to AA v AA.

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every now and then I become pretty frustrated with my poker results, and now is definitely one of those times.

I play a large volume of online MTTs and have been making plenty of deep runs lately, but I just don't know if I will ever consistently score big to move up the stakes like I would like to. Twice this week I final tabled MTTs with 400+ player fields only to bust first at the FT. It's not like I play bad once I reach the final table, everyone just has so few BBs at this stage that you have to shove as soon as you pick up a decent hand. Tonight I shoved AJo for about 7bb from UTG+1 against a min raise from UTG. He snap called with A7o and flopped a 7 and it held. If I win this "flip" I am top 5 in chips with a pretty nice score where I could potentially make 20, 30, 40, or as many as 70x my buyin, but instead I suffer the bad beat from an A7 snap caller and am left with a lousy 6x return on my $10 investment after over 5 hours of play. There is no way not to be frustrated after busting in 9th twice in three days. Part of me says that if I can make it this far in these MTTs that frequently I should be able to take one down sooner or later, but it hasn't occurred yet, and if it doesn't I may be stuck playing microstakes forever.

Rant over.
Happened to me too buddy what you are saying and I'm sure many players also lived the feelings about what you speaking 😕; so don't worry you aren't the first and neither the last who lose at final table against weaker cards; and indeed the angry can't be controlled in these situations especially after a 5 hours game😏😣.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Rant over.

I agree with
mariuspoker1, that such moments occur with many players, I also have such situations when a smaller card interrupts my high cards at the final tables and I also occupied 9-8-7-6 places, do not get discouraged and play further and you can get take first place, but be careful in making decisions at the final table, good luck to you!

D

DjDen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it happens regularly with many players, because the whole problem of a small stack on the final table is that any big stack will call your ollin with any 2 cards, and it's inevitable that sometimes the opponent will reach. so do not despair, it's just a coin.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Rant over.
friend, it happens to me too, there is a phase that everything is correct and there is a phase that I lose the chanche to go to the final table with a big game in hand and my opponent can make games better than mine. but this phase passes soon, keep the perseverance..

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the nature of the beast this weeks sunday million winner caught a queen on river when he went all in AQ V AK to give him the final table chip lead.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
you must try to keep calm, so much frustration can make you make mistakes, look I think you're not wrong, if maybe you're not achieving the main goal but you should see what your faults are and correct, as firstcrack said: look for other strategies to FT, you just have to keep trying

S

soillwill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I identify with this quite well. Every time I get to a final table that is worth a damn, I end up getting snapped called with a weaker hand and ultimately beaten out by it when I know I should shove on AA or KK. But i understand that poket pairs are no guarantee for victory in any hand of cards. Best bad beat I ever had was Full house Aces over 2's and the caller flipped 4-of-a-kind 2's on me... It still haunts me...:(

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think most poker players can understand. I went about 2 years the same way just getting there and bam lose even though i was getting it ahead. I started to work more on my game trying to build a bigger stack for the final table.Then one night made the final table with the big stack. Took out 5 of the players at the final table for the win and for my biggest payout yet. The difference was I started getting to final table with bigger stack that could survive a bad beat and of course running well that night. Was it worth the work Hell yeah. I won a wsop package and had the time of my live playing the WSOP that year.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
you should try to examine where you fail, although you must remember that variance will always be present, I think that you do better than many other players, obviously you want to move forward, look for other game strategies, examine your previous games to see your faults, the frustration does not blind you

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beat i'ts terrible, but the important thing is to move on that at some point you may be favored by a haha