All in,often used too much for too little.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen many players use the all in bet risking a lot to gain so little, IMO if you are pushing say 9000 to gain 350 you are risking your tourney life for very little gain, and I see this often in the cardchat freerolls. Don't get me wrong I believe it has value but it is a great risk. If you do it often you are more likely to get a call and if you have been pushing with lessor cards this may be a disaster. Also if you do have a good hand you may be limiting your gain when no one calls. Remember its not how many hands you win, it is how many chips you are able to extract.

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you are talking about Freerolls > Donkinfested Tourney.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right Roger. Too many players use this. The purpose seems to double one's stack early on. This is seen a lot in free rolls. I usually duck out of the early all-in madness and wait till that calms down then slowly build up my stack. This seems to win tourneys more than doubling early does.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I'm sure you figured out, picking them off is a real stack booster if you can be patient enough to wait for the right spot and fade any run-good they have going for them.

They're only a nightmare when they're on your left or when they hit lucky.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right about this, just hope that you wake up with a big hand when they do it i guess. if the blinds are like 50/100 and someone goes all in for 16k do you call off 12k with AQ? i think it's a terrible idea most of the time. You don't have to get involved when there is plenty of time to wait for a better spot to get your money in.

maudoallin

maudoallin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea thats true, but when u have information about whos making it, its good when u can put ur oponnent dominated

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't even count how many times my aces got cracked because I didn't move all in preflop and allowed someone to out flop me. It's a slippery slop and I would rather win a small pot than lose a big pot with a strong hand.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think a lot of people just push all in to try and get ahead early and if the fail they don't really care per say

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is a time and place to go all in but you are correct some people do take way to big a risk for so little reward. While doubling up early is great it does not get you to the money all that often.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournaments, you have to get aggressive at some point. A lot of people start out conservative and then loosen up as the tournament goes on. Others try to be hyper aggressive immediately to accumulate a large stack. Both approaches can work. Of course, free rolls are quite different from buy-in tournaments because players are much more willing to push all-in with a complete garbage hand when they haven't invested anything in the tournament. Personally, I like to start out conservative and take time to observe opponents. When blinds are low, you can play a few more speculative hands and occasionally hit a monster and stack somebody. I don't see the point in taking big risks early. I at least want to wait until the blinds increase a bit and the antes are introduced. Then, there are more chips in the pot so it makes sense to fight harder for them.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post flop skills

I can't even count how many times my aces got cracked because I didn't move all in preflop and allowed someone to out flop me. It's a slippery slop and I would rather win a small pot than lose a big pot with a strong hand.

Thank you for posting.

The more you practice your post flop skills the better poker player you become. Thus you will then begin to win more and lose less with AA post flop.

You also may wish to experiment with large but not all in bets with your aces preflop. If your opponents will fold to shoves what about half stack bets? 3x pot bets etc.

To improve our skills we can experiment to find the most optimal action.

Hope this helps

:):)

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this a lot in the beginning of tournaments, the player allin all hands to win 30 chips, if the hero earns 10 in a row he made 300 chips, if in the eleventh an opponent calls and the hero loses, he will probably only get 300 he won 10 straight hands, but lost much more in a single hand.

Once I heard a pro saying that poker looks like an auction, if the product (pot) you want is worth 900 why you pay 3000?
Obviously there are exceptions: if you are short stack, if you make a 3bet, preflop increase, but if you are the first to act after the flop you must take the pot into account.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting.

The more you practice your post flop skills the better poker player you become. Thus you will then begin to win more and lose less with AA post flop.

You also may wish to experiment with large but not all in bets with your aces preflop. If your opponents will fold to shoves what about half stack bets? 3x pot bets etc.

To improve our skills we can experiment to find the most optimal action.

Hope this helps

:):)
Ha, just read this and turned back to my game and I had pocket aces. I made a pot size raise and everyone folded.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep adjusting.

Ha, just read this and turned back to my game and I had pocket aces. I made a pot size raise and everyone folded.

That is so ironic thank you for sharing it.

The optimal goal is to get one caller. Do you think a shove would have gotten a caller?

What size bet would you try next to get that 1 caller optimal play?

Thanks again for sharing.

:):):)

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people will play that way in a freeroll but its a different story in a pay game they will not go all in to win a few chips.:):):)