• Thread starter ThinkIllcallUwitha5
  • Start date
T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly freerolls, and after villains get bit a couple of times trying to bluff me, they act more respectful and we can play poker. I think that I understand it's mathematically non-optimal, or -EV in cash games because you're giving your opponent a free card in which he could improve and beat you, but if you're way ahead is it still bad? I think not, just want to check with more experienced minds on this

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes it blows the other player off a strong second best hand. Because you checked now your raising....suspicious. Skilled players just bet into them.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you think there's anything wrong with a check raise? It should be one of the many Tools in your repertoire of Poker. Just remember though every raise you make is with a purpose. You should be check raising say to get value, to get a player to fold his hand, to take control of the hand there are many reasons for a check check-raise

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you think there's anything wrong with a check raise? It should be one of the many Tools in your repertoire of Poker. Just remember though every raise you make is with a purpose. You should be check raising say to get value, to get a player to fold his hand, to take control of the hand there are many reasons for a check check-raise

Thanks for the question, I should have explained that in the OP. I'm a beginner, and so maybe it's because I've seen a lot of beginner-training sites and videos and books recommending against it, for new players. Maybe the reason for that is because beginners try to play too tricky before they've got the ABC fundamentals down, and end up using the wrong tool for the job. I guess if a hero does not calculate the chance of the villain actually catching up and getting ahead, then it would be a net losing move.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen that a lot, they try to steal your blinds, but if you put up resistance and make some reraise and steal their chips, they will be more respectful