whats the lingo?

J

jaybird1017

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When players talk about "3-bet" or "4-bet" I know its about raising, but what amount is each referring to?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When players talk about "3-bet" or "4-bet" I know its about raising, but what amount is each referring to?

3 bet is the 3rd bet (second raise) You have the blinds (the first bet) and then a player opens or makes the first raise in a pot that would be the (second bet) then a 3 bet would be a player raising the open (the 3rd bet) a 4 bet would be a player raising the 3 bet (the 4th bet) The amount is whatever the raiser wants it too be.

J

jaybird1017

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats kind of what I thought. I thought the lingo must have started in limit games, but ive found it difficult to decipher when players are discussing no-limit games. Sometimes I’m not sure if they’re referring to the 3rd bet or a bet equal to three times the BB when using the term “3-bet”. Have you heard this used both ways?

Thanks.:jd4:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats kind of what I thought. I thought the lingo must have started in limit games, but ive found it difficult to decipher when players are discussing no-limit games. Sometimes I’m not sure if they’re referring to the 3rd bet or a bet equal to three times the BB when using the term “3-bet”. Have you heard this used both ways?

Thanks.:jd4:

Generally if a player is referring to "equal to three times the big blind" they will say (3x) with the x referring to times. Or they will write out three times the big blind. If it ever has been put as 3bet then the person writing it didn't use the terminology appropriately. To help you decipher between limit and no-limit, always assume they are discussing No-limit hold-em unless otherwise specified, because it is the most common variant.