What is the best time to Check Raise?

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,
I usually check raise a flopped set OOP to build the pot. I read and heard that it is good to have check raise in your arsenal. What other spots are best to use check raise?

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe when you have the absolute nuts or second nuts....anything from flush, sets, and top two pair would be my range for check-raising

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for me, it is good to use a check raise if the flop hit the NATs.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say anytime you have a very strong hand. Since you're OOP with check-raising you need to make sure your protected if v comes back and reraises your raise, so probably not doing this with small pairs or draws.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how many players are involved in the hand, remember that 3 or 4 players involved in a hand is easy for someone to hit something on the flop, so never bluff against 3 or 4 players involved in a hand. Against 1 player it is always good to raise the flop even if you don't hit anything on the flop, but if the opponent shows resistance, you have other strategies in mind to be applied on the turn and river.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys,
I usually check raise a flopped set OOP to build the pot. I read and heard that it is good to have check raise in your arsenal. What other spots are best to use check raise?
You do well, the time to check-raise is always when you are out of position and your opponent is aggressive or you suspect that he has a good hand, thus making the pot bigger. Profitable for you.
icon14.gif

R

RicardoInciarte

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like check Raising some strong draws on the flop they usually make a cbet that miss the flop with probably overcards like AK missing the flop also might force some mid pairs to fold with this and combined with strong hand on the flop like a Set or Two pairs and some flushes it might be my range to make check raise sometimes check-push

P

panaloto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And it may also bite you probably more often than you'd like.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
dependent on your position and your hand range according to the community cards since you can have a good hand but at the same time it can be the losing hand

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like check raise OOP has to be consistent with following action, as you give away the betting lead to raise and have it back representing a strong hand or draw, on the turn you might have to lead the bet to not show weakness (unless you already have the nuts), if you keep checking it on following action, opponent can keep being aggressive and you'll have to fold.
Sometimes check raise can save you an expensive bet on the turn when you're not first to act.
Of course that's all theory and there's no absolute procotol, depends on what kind of table you're in, how the players are, etc.

R

Raz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You raise with Tens, jacks, queens and miss the flop. Let them put chips in first and then put the hammer down. Don't wait around for A or K to come. Take your preflop raise and their raise and run. Without a chance to lose.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best time for check raise if you flopped a good hand.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like to check raise on the river. If I raise first, then I may get too many folders. Just checking I hope someone raises, then to get more value from the hand raise.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't check - raise because you want to show your strong hand. It is important. Otherwise, you will not get a large number of chips from other players.
There are three techniques in my piggy bank. But they are top secret. So I will share just one. You go into the flop and get an unreadable improbable hand. Make a check on all streets and let your opponent always bet 1/2 or a full pot. When the river opens and he gets a flush, for example, he will be so happy that he will give away all his chips, forgetting that you can have a full house on the flop.