Starting up a Bankroll & Understanding how to increase it

T

TylerJobsonCW

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions for the community, and I wonder if anyone could help me out.

I've been playing poker for a couple of years and have recently got started getting into the real money side of the game. Currently I play £0.02/£0.05 games online with £10 every now again. But I would like to start building a bankroll and I was wondering if anyone can give me tips & tricks for managing a micro stakes bankroll.

Currently, my financial situation will allow me to put £50 in as a start up deposit, due to me having other responsibilities & a full time job. I currently play about approx 15 hours of NLEM a week.

What stake should I play with a £50 bankroll? Is it best to stick to cash to see a quick increase if you play +ev? How long will it take me to get out of the Micro Stakes game.

I also see myself getting tilted often when my stack goes down to 10-20bb and just shoving all in. What's the best way to manage tilt online?

These may seem like stupid questions, but it would be great to get pointed in the right directions.

Cheers,
Tyler
:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can only deposit $50, start with 2nl as you'll have 25 buy-ins. If you want to start larger, say the 5nl games, save up until you can deposit more. I think 30 BIs is a good start, so you'll need $150. However, it doesn't hurt to start with more BIs.

If you're looking to make a one-and-done deposit, definitely wait so you can deposit more and start with at least 50 BIs.

Try and get rakeback if you don't have it already.

Turn on auto top off at the tables so you never dip below 100 BBs.

There is no way to say when you will move out of the micros. If you're only playing 15 hours a week, that's only 2.25 hours/day. That's not a lot. In this case, multi-tabling would definitely help, if you're comfortable with it.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you been winning up to this point? For a bankroll of 50, you will want to start at 2NL. You will want to at least double your bankroll before moving up to 5NL. Good luck.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would avoid cash games until you are more skilled. Avoid 9-max as that is where all the sharks are although most people recommend 9-max for beginners I personally would look at freerolls and large field small buy-in MTT as a beginning structure(s) to put yourself in. Avoid cash games as those are skill games as long as you put in huge volume 120k hands eras

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are comfortable with redepositing you can play 0.02/0.05 but realize you are playing a little larger than you should be. Try to spend about 40% of your time studying, 40% playing, and 20% reviewing your hands. You want to learn a solid strategy for the cheapest amount possible

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise you to not play cashgames that you dont have ATLEAST 50 buyins for, so 100$ for 2$ NL, you can play few tables, if you get to 200+ you can try to take a shoot at 5$ NL, if you lose like 10 buyins at 5 move down, try again until you can beat those stakes etc, and dont withdraw money thats just bankroll from poker, getting a big mtt score and withdrawing will keep u down IMO so never withdraw just play according to ur bankroll as i said for cash MIN i would advise for start is 50buyins and ocassionaly taking a shot for 10buyins on next stakes and drop down if lost.

C

Cory55

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Jamie staples has a bankroll video on his YouTube channel that you could find helps a little

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would stick with the 2/5 game until i doubled my deposit.

Only playing 15 hours a week may take you a year and a half before you move up. And you more than likely would have to deposit 3 times, until you get that tilt under control.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s best to sit down at the table with the blinds 1-2 cents. If you started to play at a limit that you think is very high, you should stop even if your bankroll allows you to continue playing. In this situation, you can start to get nervous, which, in turn, will lead to the loss of pleasure from the game and the adoption of wrong decisions. Play the tight style from the very beginning throughout the game period on the microlimits. The loose style of play only works if your postflop play is very good and if you expect to win opponents who have better hands.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management