Setting Limits for Bankroll Management

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying to figure out what I want my personal limits to be for a solid general bankroll management strategy. I want something that's conservative enough to protect me from variance reasonably well, but not so tight that it takes me forever to make any significant gains. I've done a bit of reading and these are the upper buy-in limits I've come up with based on what people suggest:

- Cash games & STTs: 1/20th of bankroll
- MTTs with 2-4 tables: 1/30th
- MTTs with 5-10 tables: 1/40th
- MTTs with 10+ tables: 1/50th

How reasonable do these seem to you guys? Also, what are some other factors I should be considering when I decide whether I am within my limits to enter a tournament? For example, should I set tighter limits for Turbo tournaments because their variance is so much higher? What about 6-max, or Zoom tournaments? Looking for any advice on the subject in general.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most common bankroll strategy I've seen mentioned is 1:100 buy-ins, alot of the twitch streamers say if you keep 1:100 you'll gradually build your bankroll despite variance.

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the 1:100 bankrollmanagment
I use it myself too

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1:100 for mtts only work if you are one tabling (which probably nobody does) and if you play only that one limit. If you play a range of limits you need way more money i'd say at least 200x for the upper limit.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting! I didn't expect it to be so common for people to be that tight with their bankroll but it makes sense.

I'm still wondering though, how do those numbers translate to cash games? I understand that mitigating variance is super important in MTTs but is 1:20 still too low for cash game buy-ins?

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1:100 for mtts only work if you are one tabling (which probably nobody does) and if you play only that one limit. If you play a range of limits you need way more money i'd say at least 200x for the upper limit.

I think 1:100 works if you have put a cap on how many you're going to play each day. Like I typically won't play more than 10 buy-ins worth each day and then adjust accordingly the following days to make sure that I maintain that ratio. But doing 1:200 makes a lot of sense, I'd say even 1:150 could be sufficient if you like to grind every day.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been trying to figure out what I want my personal limits to be for a solid general bankroll management strategy. I want something that's conservative enough to protect me from variance reasonably well, but not so tight that it takes me forever to make any significant gains. I've done a bit of reading and these are the upper buy-in limits I've come up with based on what people suggest:

- Cash games & STTs: 1/20th of bankroll
- MTTs with 2-4 tables: 1/30th
- MTTs with 5-10 tables: 1/40th
- MTTs with 10+ tables: 1/50th

How reasonable do these seem to you guys? Also, what are some other factors I should be considering when I decide whether I am within my limits to enter a tournament? For example, should I set tighter limits for Turbo tournaments because their variance is so much higher? What about 6-max, or Zoom tournaments? Looking for any advice on the subject in general.
You have to factor in rake lets say your a tournament and sit and player on pokerstars for example with 600 bankroll the $20 plus games have less rake you would be better off playing them than paying more rake at the $5 dollar games rake bites hard over many sessions.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management