Pushing suited connectors from EP

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been studying the push-fold charts to try and understand the subtleties behind the types of hands played in different circumstances.

Obviously better hands are needed to justify the push when you have more blinds, and generally also when you are in earlier position, but one thing strikes me as interesting.

The push-fold chart I'm looking at (I don't want to link incase that isn't allowed but they are the Alec Torelli ones) recommend playing low suited connectors when short stacked from early position , despite not recommending to push all Ax and Kx hands.

For instance , at just 4bb 54s is being promoted to be pushed UTG when K7o isn't, but by the time it reaches the button the lowest recommended SC is 76. Of course, when deep stacked open ranges would usually not recommend too many low SC's in EP and reserve them for later positions, which seems to be the opposite once a player is very short stacked.

What would be the reasoning behind this disconnect? my best guess is once fold equity diminishes, the chance of a push being called by weak Ax and Kx hands is now very high with many players left to act, and thus Ax and Kx hands would be dominated unlike low SC's which are likely to be smaller underdogs?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hi there,

The push-fold chart I'm looking at (I don't want to link incase that isn't allowed but they are the Alec Torelli ones) recommend playing low suited connectors when short stacked from early position , despite not recommending to push all Ax and Kx hands.

I managed to google that chart and I think I'm looking at the same one you are talking about. When I look at the 4 bb UTG part there still are K2s+ and A2o+ pushes 'available'.
For instance , at just 4bb 54s is being promoted to be pushed UTG when K7o isn't, but by the time it reaches the button the lowest recommended SC is 76.
Even though this is the case the hand range is still tighter on UTG's position (40.6%) than on the button (57.2%)

Charts can certainly guide you to the right direction but when playing against wild opponents GTO doesn't help that much.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I presume it will come down to equity Vs opponents probable calling ranges.

Hands like 45s will have more equity than K7o against the kind of hands that will call.

Suited connectors are good starting hands because they can make lots of straights & flushes as well as two pair, trips and the suchlike.

I know people who prefer them to pocket pairs...

I don't know, but that would be my guess.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I guess because you will still have two live cards vs Ax , Kx type of hands plus SC are always perform well through the river?!?!

If you push from later position (CO , BU) Ax , Kx type of hands then you use the blocking effect of those combinations because there are not many players yet to act.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all, seems the consensus is that they are strong versus probable calling ranges at those levels.

Had not considered the blocking effect, but that's a good point also.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know I prefer suited connectors anytime compared to pocket pairs.
The payoff when it hits is usually nicer than hitting a set mine.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the decision to push with 45 suited with 4 blinds left. This is not a positive ev play for the position. Do you think a player behind you will not call or re raise with QJ suited or better to isolate you?
Now you playing a hand with 40% equity against one player where you are the under dog.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the decision to push with 45 suited with 4 blinds left. This is not a positive ev play for the position. Do you think a player behind you will not call or re raise with QJ suited or better to isolate you?
Now you playing a hand with 40% equity against one player where you are the under dog.

I see what you're saying but that's actually a +ev call with an ante.

The point when you get this low is that you have little choice, you're going to need to take risks and by this point it's about going in with in anything that has a chance.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ran 54 suited spades against QJ diamonds . Calculator says you have 38.22 % with .92% for tie. Still leaves you with about 40% equity. I am not taking antes into account. Only chance of the hand winning.

P

pattye66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play suited connectors if I am in SB or BB position if the raise before me is 3 times BB or less to see a flop. Once the flop comes and if I connect I will call another reasonable bet to try and improve. after the turn and river I will fold if the bet is too large if I haven't improved.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ran 54 suited spades against QJ diamonds . Calculator says you have 38.22 % with .92% for tie. Still leaves you with about 40% equity. I am not taking antes into account. Only chance of the hand winning.

The antes are crucial to push/fold, as the whole point here is that as your stack gets smaller, the dead money in the middle can make marginal all ins profitable.

In a typical situation with 9 players and a 12.5 ante you have 2.6125 in the middle. If it's not a blind that calls with that hand then you bet 4 BB to win 10.6125 BB. It's very marginal (remember we're looking at the bottom of the playable hands so it's meant to be marginal) but you still gain +.14 BB.

There are no great choices at this point. Remember in EP you'll be next in the blinds where you'll either be forced in or emerge with half your stack.

That considered, I'd always jam this unless I thought somebody else was going out that hand.