- sb calls
- bb calls

FLOP
10s 6s 8d

Sb bb +1 check the flop
10 s 6s 8d turn is 8s
8aa377f0f41fc1391bb40702d9a27276.png

SB bets 12.4k into a 38k pot

What would you do in this position against a passive opponent?
What would you do in this position against a aggressive opponent?
What does the SB's bet sizing indicate he has/range?

And the most important part
How to win the hand?
Game Theory Optimal

#1Sb bet sizing said he was on a spade draw or
#2 he had a flush and wasn't worried about a 4th spade.
I flat call with air with with full intentions of bluffing the river if no spade comes
Trying to win the pot by Raising the turn is awful theory wise here
the +1 is still behind us and we want to see the river to collect information
Just because I floated does NOT mean I have to bluff.
I float
+1 fold
River comes a blank
SB checks to me
I Raise 40%
sb folds

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without looking at the reveal, if you want to win the hand with this crap, you have 2 options imo...but later...and to answer your questions...

against a passive oppo...fold

against an aggro oppo...do you think they would fold to a raise..??...do they have a history of folding to raises..??

1/3 pot bet...gives no clues as to their range...I've seen a lot of this min bet lead out betting lately...it seems to be all the rage...unfortunately it encourages players to call with crap in any position if calling won't hurt their stack...gotta be in it to win it after all.
10 6 and 8 smashes the sb's range...they could easily have hit...could have 2 low spades...79 off is also a possibility.

how to win the hand..??...
1....call...and call...and hope they have worse crap than your crap and are bluffing...
2....call with the intention of betting like a lunatic on the river.
3...raise / shove now on the turn and hope they believe you have the nut flush or the boat.

personally...unless i had a very good read on my oppo...or had lots of history where they had a history of folding to strong raises I would just let it go.
If is it on the bubble, maybe oppo is trying to steal, and is less likely to call your shove.

ok...now i will look at the reveal.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok...very good...after the +4 player folds to your call, then you have position on the sb. His check on the blank river either indicates very strong holding, or very weak...

you might have pushed them off Ace high or a pair of 6's...you had the chips to do it with, and used them well...grats :) I hope you went on to make a decent score in the tourney.

question...what would you have done if the sb had bet the river...say 30-40k..??...call...fold...or put them all in..??

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok...very good...after the +4 player folds to your call, then you have position on the sb. His check on the blank river either indicates very strong holding, or very weak...

you might have pushed them off Ace high or a pair of 6's...you had the chips to do it with, and used them well...grats :) I hope you went on to make a decent score in the tourney.

question...what would you have done if the sb had bet the river...say 30-40k..??...call...fold...or put them all in..??

Thats the reason we float
So we can gain that extra info
In the case of this particular players stack behind
it would very odd for me to allin him for 30k more into a 200k pot with air
if he bets im folding

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands