New Table Question

D

Daddio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
[Couldn't find a Rules category, so I figure this is the place to post this.]

What rule dictates when a player is dealt in when arriving at a new table (in an MTT)? Here's the situation:

Hero arrives at new table with a hand already in progress. He is seated in what would have been the SB spot had he been there when the cards were dealt (BB is to his left, dealer is to his right). The hand finishes and the button moves to Hero. But he isn't dealt in. Instead, the previous dealer effectively gets to be dealer twice (in terms of position).

Why is this?

And here is the anger-inducing correlary:

Hero was SB in his last hand at the previous table, meaning he just went through the blinds and would have been dealer had he not been moved. He arrives at the new table and is seated in the UTG position (had he been there when the cards were dealt). The hand finishes and, as we all know, he gets dealt in as BB and has to go through the blinds all over again. I've actually had this happen twice in a row. Argghhh...

Can someone shed some light on this? Thank you.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's random. I have been in position where under the gun short stack, bubble play. blinds about to eat me out but I get moved to another table and sit right to the dealer button avoiding blinds. and manage to place and get paid. but if you move into a table and you happen to be in between blinds you must wait it out till your out of the blinds to start getting cards.

D

Daddio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, I understand that placement is random. But that wasn't my question. For that matter, why isn't he dealt in as SB on the following hand if he arrives in the BB position during a hand in play? I don't see the difference between that and when a brand new table is starting out, or at the beginning of a tourney. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it. (that I can see).

Last edited:
R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's often to be also operated mysteriously about a position in a table in addition to the case.

I'm doing so as not to worry about it so much.

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my understanding if you get seated in SB or between blinds and dealer you won't get dealt cards until the button is on the person to your left. This happens because it would mess up button-blind connection.

D

Daddio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From my understanding if you get seated in SB or between blinds and dealer you won't get dealt cards until the button is on the person to your left. This happens because it would mess up button-blind connection.

But it wouldn't. Hero would have the button and SB would be to his immediate left. But you raised a point that may apply. Perhaps dealer has to be allowed to be dealer to both an SB and a BB. In the example given in the OP, he was only the dealer for the BB when the button was on him. Then again, there are plenty of times when a dealer does only get to be dealer against one other (following) player. So I'm still at a loss. Plus in the OP scenario, he effectively got to be dealer to both the BB and the SB-and-BB.

The only thing I can think of is that it may be some kind of throwback to a single table cash game at an old-west saloon (for example), where some new hombre comes in and takes that chair and the existing players want him to "pay his dues" before they'll let him reap any benefit of the seating. Thoughts.