• Thread starter Marcus_Trivinho
  • Start date
Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a terrible downswing at this moment, and I need to make big changes in order to be profitable again. A big part of that is to learn how to study poker. Before I tried to master everything at the same time, and nothing good happened. That's why I am going to study only one topic and master that fully, and then choose the next one and doing the same. In my opinion, the most important poker skill is hand reading skill. I want to simplify this concept, and the most simple thing I know is to learn to know what my opponent will have. Actually, if I could know 100% of the time what my opponent will have, there are no other skills needed, no matter what.

What do you think about which are the most important poker skills to win besides of hand reading? And I mean strategic skills excluding mental game, patience, discipline, bankroll management, etc.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Estoy teniendo una mala racha en este momento y necesito hacer grandes cambios para volver a ser rentable. Una gran parte de eso es aprender a estudiar póquer. Antes intenté dominar todo al mismo tiempo, y no pasó nada bueno. Es por eso que voy a estudiar solo un tema y dominarlo completamente, y luego elegir el siguiente y hacer lo mismo. En mi opinión, la habilidad de póquer más importante es la habilidad de leer las manos. Quiero simplificar este concepto, y lo más simple que sé es aprender a saber qué tendrá mi oponente. En realidad, si pudiera saber el 100% del tiempo lo que tendrá mi oponente, no se necesitan otras habilidades, pase lo que pase.

What are the most important poker skills to win besides hand reading? And I mean strategic skills that exclude mind game, patience, discipline, fund management, etc.

The first thing you should look at is where you are making more mistakes in order to change your game and improve it, reading is very important and in order to improve it you have to study a lot and know how to differentiate the lines of play from your opponents to know how to differentiate a line from bluff to Lines of Value.

You are getting all the information and we are going to develop it from preflop, position and the type of player that we are going to face. All of this will help you to have a better reading of the game and of your opponents.

C

chinezu23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most important skill is patience. when you play bad and continuing having showers is better to take it slower.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree

Reading skills are very important you can play perfect poker by the book but if your reading skills are below average then it makes it very hard to know what you are dealing with most of the time, and i think reading skill can be developed by experience and having good memory.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many things that can only be achieved with time, losses and victories. Experience and patience are among the main factors for success in poker so for sure experience and patience

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Except hand reading skill, I guess bluffing! You don't hit huge all the time in poker and it is very rare to have a monster hand. So your only choice is to bluff your opponent to win the pot.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is useless to look for one or two skills to become a profitable player.You must be able to do everything - bluff, throw out a strong hand, read the opponent's card, be a disciplined player, and much more, only then you will be successful !!!

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that our sincere desire to achieve our goals solves everything. Only your daily hard work and improving your skills will lead you to success. Step by step to the goal.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am having a terrible downswing at this moment, and I need to make big changes in order to be profitable again. A big part of that is to learn how to study poker. Before I tried to master everything at the same time, and nothing good happened. That's why I am going to study only one topic and master that fully, and then choose the next one and doing the same. In my opinion, the most important poker skill is hand reading skill. I want to simplify this concept, and the most simple thing I know is to learn to know what my opponent will have. Actually, if I could know 100% of the time what my opponent will have, there are no other skills needed, no matter what.

What do you think about which are the most important poker skills to win besides of hand reading? And I mean strategic skills excluding mental game, patience, discipline, bankroll management, etc.
Instead of thinking about a big terrible minus causing you stress and to chase higher than anybody can reach in an average day plan your year properly register for every freeroll that you can play while awake mix them in with your buy in games long term,
Start playing really seriously fight with determination to add every last dime and dollar to your bankroll without risking too much on any given day.
Write times or a plan down in a diary if necessary to remind you if playing on many sites or keep track of spending,
Enjoy the game for the struggle that it is at times set yourself small manageable goals and withdraw targets or timed goals such as when to stop playing each session win lose or draw when you feel tired or agitated.
While it is hard in the middle of a downswing to stay composed think of it long haul 1 year or longer formulate some kind of a plan.
Start every day at an imaginary 0 pat yourself on the back every day that 0 turns into a plus and not a minus regardless of how much roll you got and quit when your ahead instead of grinding too long when errors and fatigue creep in.
It is ok to quit when losing too and come back fresh at it another day good luck.

Last edited:
C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is one of most important skill but i believe that skill of bluffing is important as well. I think that you can't win a tournament without a bluffing in some part of tournament.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that analyzing your own game and your own decisions is a key skill in the development of any player. If you can analyze your own game, draw conclusions for yourself and learn from your mistakes, then with experience you will become a successful player.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If without basic knowledge,then intuition...

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, you need to analyze yourself accurately. Having an accurate, unbiased picture of your strengths and weaknesses is helpful in more than just poker, too.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, you need to analyze yourself accurately. Having an accurate, unbiased picture of your strengths and weaknesses is helpful in more than just poker, too.

Hello. I agree with this philosophy. If I can't look at my game play, be critical and learn from mistakes,, then I may as well not play. So important!

Dan'O

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading skills are very important you can play perfect poker by the book but if your reading skills are below average then it makes it very hard to know what you are dealing with most of the time, and i think reading skill can be developed by experience and having good memory.

The reading skill in my opinion is a skill that every poker player should have, because in the end who wins is who has the most reading about his opponents:D