Most common & important mistakes?

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play lots of tournaments but unfortunately I hardly enter into final table.

Can anybody tell me the common or important mistakes which I should avoid while playing a online tournament?

:(

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Can anybody tell me the common or important mistakes which I should avoid while playing a online tournament?

first mistake is being way to general with your questions. there are a many things you should/shouldn't do but, without specifics, it's difficult to know where to start.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first mistake is being way to general with your questions. there are a many things you should/shouldn't do but, without specifics, it's difficult to know where to start.
You can tell me a single mistake.

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

There are so many mistakes possible in a race. How far do you usually go? What races do you compete in? How many tables do you play? Are you an aggressive player?
I’m saying one thing that’s also important to me is that you always push in and don’t raise with 10 big blinds. But there are many, many other things. You may need to browse the internet to see which strategy would be right for you.

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a common mistake that I play tournaments not by bankroll, but lately I've started to follow this and keep myself in control!

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
starting hands play a huge role! pay attention with what cards you play!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The FT is irrelevant for me , you can play correctly and still don't achieve it in big MTTs. I just wanted to point it out .

Many common mistakes although the question is indeed super general:
  • Play hands you shouldn't play - Search for some RFI ranges
  • Don't understand the importance of position
  • Play passively your monster hands / Even worse, open limp them in order to trap the fish etc
  • Donk bet flops etc or in general you don't understand how to use the different play lines like : check-call , check-fold , bet-fold in order to keep the pot small etc
  • You must adjust your approach based on the phase of the MTT(early stages , bubble phase , FT bubble) , basically understand the dynamics and how you can easily exploit your opponents - this doesn't work for weak players
  • You can't fold your strong hand starting hand no matter what the board texture runout is
  • Tilt / Ego issues / Try to win every hand or outplay every opponent
  • You are not in the mood for poker , just let it go , play some other day.
Cheers :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are basically asking people to post an entire poker course. However these have been made already, so why not start by taking the one here on Cardschat? Its called "become a winning poker player in 30 days". Best of luck :)

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most common beginner mistake is to limp and call raises too much preflop.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long has it passed since a poker was begun?

If it's within 1 year, a final table isn't also simple to reach.

The present should meet the order within 1/10 of the tournament participation number of people.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, if you are talking candidly, and really have passion about what you may or may not be doing right or wrong, one method, at least in terms of me giving feedback (not that I am a pro, but I can get to final tables and cash top 20 if I try) is to post what it is you "do" do..and then I can give you advice through PM what it is that I do on top of that. Think of it as adding to your toolbox, as opposed to reworking your game entirely. Or seeing your game tools as mistakes.

Every decision is a tool in your toolbox, I just don't think you are using all of the tools..that is if you understand the games basics.

I definitely agree that studying and putting in the work is how you get better, but perhaps there is just something that is not clicking..

I try to be helpful, even if my advice isn't helpful or even right (debateable), but I do know how to play basic poker:)

What I won't do is ever give you smart ass answers like some people just to be a jerk, because who really needs that? People need that like a fish needs a bicycle :)

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
some of the biggest mistake a poker player can make is underestimating his opponent, and the value of information as well as being patient

when playing against opponents verify what kind of players they are whether aggressive passive, solid, rock, lose players then formulate a strategy there are may vids on you tube about this check them out

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can tell me a single mistake.
don't open jam 27o utg for 100+ big blinds.

does that really help you? are you unsure what to do with 100+ bbs utg when you hold a hand like 72o? do you find yourself busting out of mtts because you jam 27o for 100+ bbs utg a lot?

probably not and this a perfect example of why you need to ask specific questions and not be so general. otherwise you might get a ton of 'advice' that you just don't need and/or doesn't help you at all.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Best advice I can give is start the tournament with a tight opening chart. Understand why UTG only opens TT+, AK, AQs, while CO raises 55+, QJo+, 78s+.

Next learn a small stack strategy, like when you are under 10BB. You shove good hands, call almost nothing, and fold everything else.

Biggest mistake I see players make is when they get a few chips, they play more hands. They think being table chip leader means they can start bullying people or play that QJo from UTG. Once you chip up, save those chips to invest in good hands.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lack of analysis of your own game and opponents. Lack of bankroll management. Lack of patience.