One more player type

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker books talks about 6 player types: TAG, NIT, TP, LAG, CS, LP.

I've discovered one more - CBET NIT.
His VPIP equals PFR and is incredibly small (about 4% or less) AA, KK, QQ, AK, maybe AQ and JJ.
He can sit for hours without playing a hand (and in tournaments he sometimes gets eaten by the blinds without making a move).
But here comes interesting part, when he raises (not some measly 3 BB, but strong 10 - 40 BB bet) he doesn't look at board, just CBETs on all streets.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am guilty of c-bets. Just can't see free cards not costing someone at the table.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, poker books talk mainly about those player types, but the poker books also emphasize that these player types are general tendencies, and that virtually no player falls solely within one category.

A lot of players are a combination of several player types. And, indeed, sometimes players play a very specific strategy, such as folding everything but the best hands, and continue to c-bet regardless of the flop. It's a primitive strategy, but I suppose that it could work reasonably well against some players.

The thing is: poker books cannot account for every possible strategy, since there are just too many possible strategies. Some players like to check-raise a lot, other players like to donk, etc. But whether a player check-raises a lot, or donks a lot, isn't as telling as whether a player is generally loose/tight or passive/aggressive, so this is why some categories are more interesting than others, despite the fact that players usually do not fall within a single category.

When you try to explain poker concepts, especially the fundamental poker concepts, it is often easier to reduce the villain's tendencies to a small set of distinct player types. When you learn how to apply the poker concepts against these distinct player types, you will also learn how to apply the poker concepts against players who are a mix between two player types. Teaching poker is more effective like this, from a pedagogical point of view.

Last edited:
T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker books talks about 6 player types: TAG, NIT, TP, LAG, CS, LP.

I've discovered one more - CBET NIT.
His VPIP equals PFR and is incredibly small (about 4% or less) AA, KK, QQ, AK, maybe AQ and JJ.
He can sit for hours without playing a hand (and in tournaments he sometimes gets eaten by the blinds without making a move).
But here comes interesting part, when he raises (not some measly 3 BB, but strong 10 - 40 BB bet) he doesn't look at board, just CBETs on all streets.

What you are describing is simply a stereotype. It's like saying Chinese people are bad drivers just because you saw a couple of accidents involving Asian looking people.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your CBET NIT is just an immature player trying to find his way. The big c-bets are as result of boredom, and the cost of all the blinds that he's paying. When he does play that rare hand he's anxious to get paid off, plus he's seen enough pre-flop monsters die and wither post flop, that he's even more anxious about the long awaited AA getting crushed. I've seen a lot of super-nits playing ZOOM poker so they can cut down on the length of time between hands that they're willing to play.

The big c-bet pretty much guarantees that they're only going to get called by similar quality hands.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am guilty oc c bets, too...
There is nothing wrong with c-bets per se. If you are a decently tight player, and you raise with a decently good hand pre-flop, then even when you miss the flop (assuming the flop doesn't hit their range too hard and doesn't make decisions very difficult for you later on), you would still want to c-bet the flop in a heads-up situation. Depending on the villain you are up against, you might also double barrel on the turn, and on some rare occasions even triple barrel on the river. (With an emphasis on "might" and "rare".)

If you don't play a lot of hands, then you need to make the most of the hands that you actually decide to play. This doesn't mean that you need to c-bet every single time, but it isn't uncommon that you c-bet (slightly) more often than players who are looser pre-flop.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks!

Yes, this all makes sense and adds to my understanding of poker.

Vlad symrak

Vlad symrak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This style only at the initial stage of the multi-table tournaments !!!!

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If villian donks all streets in the position and u know that he did it very often u can exploit that.

shikah

shikah

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sounds like me a few months ago, just trying something. where was this OP? lol

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds a lot like me unless the flop is monotone or 567 or something like that.