Learning on Micros

mpelletier92

mpelletier92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Been working hard on my skills for the last month playing Micros with Play Money mostly at 50/100 tables and SNGs. By reading various books/articles and playing daily I thought that I'd see little improvement but I don't have the impression that I improved.
  • Is this a common thing to be successful at Micros without strong knowledge and getting bad results during the learning transition?
I can't tell if I've just been in a really long downswing or if I've just been playing bad (the latter being way more probable). It seems that so far the only way I can make it at the tables is by playing really tight. If I try new strategies I quickly get reminded that my tight play is more beneficial.
  • Is this a common thing to play super tight and fold >90% of the time?
  • Does folding too much makes me a bad player even if it gives me profits?
I noticed that the more knowledge I gained by studying the worse it got for my bankroll. Even if I was getting bad beats one after the other I kept playing to the point that I sometimes played tilted (lesson learned on that one). Almost as if trying to apply what I learned just made my play worse.
  • Have I just been playing too much?
Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d say that you can’t really get an accurate gauge of your skill with play money. Getting in freerolls is a good place to start... but you can also put a little money in and start playing micros. When there’s something at stake, even if it’s minimal, changes the dynamic.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Reads

Hi all,

Been working hard on my skills for the last month playing Micros with Play Money mostly at 50/100 tables and SNGs. By reading various books/articles and playing daily I thought that I'd see little improvement but I don't have the impression that I improved.
  • Is this a common thing to be successful at Micros without strong knowledge and getting bad results during the learning transition?
I can't tell if I've just been in a really long downswing or if I've just been playing bad (the latter being way more probable). It seems that so far the only way I can make it at the tables is by playing really tight. If I try new strategies I quickly get reminded that my tight play is more beneficial.
I noticed that the more knowledge I gained by studying the worse it got for my bankroll. Even if I was getting bad beats one after the other I kept playing to the point that I sometimes played tilted (lesson learned on that one). Almost as if trying to apply what I learned just made my play worse.

Thank U 4 Posting.

Have you posted a hand where you tried the new skill and it failed if not do so and we can see if you properly applied the skill or not.

So firstly in free games villains do not fold. So tight play wins because they are not thinking about your hand so they will call with 2 pair say on a four flush board.

If you try to transfer tight play over to real money it will work at low levels but not when the players begin to think about your hands. You cannot just shove AA preflop and get called all the time.

So when we try to practice solid fundamentals in free games we lose more often because the villains are not thinking about poker it is more bingo.

Example: in free games you can open 10x preflop and get someone to call. The solid raise size is 3x. when you make that open size everyone calls. So AA preflop can have equity sub 50% when everyone calls. So you will lose post flop more often.

Example 2 Free game villain has only a draw you can shove in a free game and get called. solid play would suggest you deny villain the correct price to call but making a pot size bet or slightly less. Some player will fold to that for real money never for play money. So you lose more often making the correct sizing.

My point is if you are practicing to play well in real money games vs decent villains you should be losing in play money hands. The chips are not worth anything so do not use them to evaluate what you are doing. Instead you must stop playing and get the hand history and review it to see if you were correct in your skills. A great example is bluffing. In free games bluffs seldom work but you should be losing lots of pots bluffing in the correct spots. The reason is you read the player as weak you raise turn correct sizing and timing-bet river correct sizing and get called by third pair. Wooohoo you lost but you used skill that can be applied in real money games. Learning to bluff in free games is a cheap way to get good at picking spots to bluff. Just ignore when a bingo player calls you anyway.

Hope this helps.

:):)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d say that you can’t really get an accurate gauge of your skill with play money. Getting in freerolls is a good place to start... but you can also put a little money in and start playing micros. When there’s something at stake, even if it’s minimal, changes the dynamic.

Freerolls is only one avenue of learning with a certain style that they play, which is bingo. You see a lot of shoving with terrible hands and beating out AK or AA. As I'm typing this I beat out AA and KK with Q8 suited to hit a flush.

Play microstake tournaments. Play SnG. Play a little cash game here and there. Gotta mix it up.

mpelletier92

mpelletier92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciated.

From what I understand does it mean that:

One doesn't have to be able to crush Play Money tables in order to know if he will be able to make it in real money games?

The way I want to approach real money tables is the following:

Making a first deposit of a small amount so that I can play Micros and learn to manage my bankroll.

I guess many of you have taken the same path but I'm just doing my best to avoid being the fish and play good.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
took me a while to feel like I was actually decent. I know I'm not that good, but I think I can finally say I'm a winning player at the lowest levels of the micros. Took me a year to feel that way. Keep playing for free and studying. You'll catch on.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciated.

From what I understand does it mean that:

One doesn't have to be able to crush Play Money tables in order to know if he will be able to make it in real money games?

The way I want to approach real money tables is the following:

Making a first deposit of a small amount so that I can play Micros and learn to manage my bankroll.

I guess many of you have taken the same path but I'm just doing my best to avoid being the fish and play good.

Skip the Play Money. They are a waste of time and can give you bad habits.

Read a lot on this forum (an maybe others). Put in keywords like poker strategy and cash game strategy or MTT strategy in Google and YouTube.

Start to play at the lowest levels if you can afford a deposit of 20-40 dollars.

If you can't afford to deposit (and lose) look for all kinds of freerolls that different sites offer and try to win some dollars that you can use to start playing for real money.

In the beginning study about half the time and play the other half. If you start winning and can move up in stakes increase the time you are playing in relation to study time.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls is only one avenue of learning with a certain style that they play, which is bingo. You see a lot of shoving with terrible hands and beating out AK or AA. As I'm typing this I beat out AA and KK with Q8 suited to hit a flush.

Play microstake tournaments. Play SnG. Play a little cash game here and there. Gotta mix it up.

I agree - variety is good to figure out what you prefer at this stage... tourney strategy is a bit different from cash games - at this stage, if OP wants to concentrate on tourneys, then learn about ICM. But if OP want to concentrate on cash games, then it’s gonna be more about multi-street post flop play. I’ve learned that it’s easier to shift from cash game play to tourney play than the other way around.

That said, OP can only try these things if he’s willing to deposit money to begin. If OP wants to build a bankroll without deposit, then freerolls is the only way to go right now - despite craziness, it’s still closer to real poker play than play money games (especially later you get in freeroll).

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I am no expert yet, but I am trying to learn from my mistakes. My advice to you is to focus only in one specific format, only one. For example, only playing $0.25 spin and go.
Or only playing $2.00 buy-in Cash game. Of course you need to deposit a good bankroll to start. It is much more easy to focus only in one format because your game has to be different for every format. After playing a while you can evaluate your self, and learn from your data.
If you can manage to learn how to win at micro levels you will manage to learn how to win at higher levels.

mpelletier92

mpelletier92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of freerolls,

I started to take a look at the available ones on pokerstars and they all begin at a timing that doesn't make it possible for me during the week.

They almost all start at 1500h eastern time and I'm still at work at that time. I don't know if they allow late registering but I don't wanna go this way.

Are there known freerolls that start at a better timing?

I know this is off-topic so feel free to just tell me to post this question elsewhere.

Thanks.