Did I get unlucky?

odnicholas25

odnicholas25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

Today I lost big in wsop (play money thankfully, but besides the point of this post). I need some second opinions as to whether I got straight unlucky, or if there is more to the story.

The Situation
I was mid-pos with pocket queens off-suit in a 6max, and with 3 limpers behind me I raised from 1bb to 4bb. I am a tight aggressive player, so I was essentially announcing to the table that I had a good hand.

The flop saw a rainbow Q37, so I had a high three pair. Three players checked behind me, and with two ahead, I raised by 4bb again. Two players called my raise. This is the start of where I become confused. As a blatantly tight aggressive player, why call my hand when I c bet the flop? It has to be somewhat apparent that I have the nuts as of the flop, and a call would be throwing chips away, correct?

Regardless, the turn sees a 6, the player which called behind me checked, I raised 4bb, and the player ahead raised drastically- the player behind me folded. This drastic raise confuses me, as I'll explain in a second.

The river saw a 9, I bet 4bb, the player goes all in, and in haste I also went all in. The player ahead had gotten a straight holding 58.

The Discussion

Now, fair is fair, and I become a little too emotionally invested in this hand. Once I saw the flop, I was convinced I had the nuts, and saw no reason to not play aggressively. I read the board, recognised the off-chance for a straight, and shut down the idea of the other player holding a straight for the following reasons:

1) I 3bet preflop, and he called. Why call a 3bet preflop with a 58 off-suit? How can he justify calling with 58os when I, a tight player, raise preflop, knowing that as I raised I will likely c bet into the rounds following, sucking more chips out of him. I don't understand how calling a 4bb justifies seeing the flop, surely it is more strategic to fold here?

2) You are holding 58 and a 7 draws on the flop. Great. I raise 4bb again. Time to fold, right? At this point, he has a draw hand that requires both the turn and the river to be exactly in his favour. How is this at all and advisable play? I don't understand why he would call me here.

3) This part confuses me the most, so you've by sheer chance drawn 4/5 cards for a straight by the turn, so WHY would you raise more than twice my 4bb on the hope that the last card would drawn on the river? SURELY the chances here do not justify this raise, a call would be more explainable, but a RAISE?

4) Obviously, an all-in once he sees the straight is understandable, suck me in knowing I had a threepair. And, this was my mistake - I should have read the board more clearly, and recognised that from his actions, it was a safer bet to fold my hand. This is where I made the mistake of becoming emotionally attached to my cards. In my defence, it was a confusing play.

So, can anyone offer a bit more clarity into this situation? What should I have done? Did he get lucky? Am I just not thinking properly? Thanks in advance!

FYI: He was a loose-passive/aggressive.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your analyze of the hand is correct but you should always keep in mind that al micro, freeroll and especially at play money games very few percent of the people try to analyze the game and take good decisions. Most of the players are calling stations and they continue to pay with whatever cards they have. Maybe if you have raised more aggressively on the flop (for example pot sized bet) he would have folded but you can't be sure. Regarding the call on the river - yes maybe you should have folded there and this is your only mistake.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
After flop 4 big blinds is not aggression (it's rather like a slow play for an opponent who has a draw)!

Aggressive is all-in with your highest set!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not "High 3 Pair", It's called a "Set".

Another Issue that comes to mind Is that "With 4 players In the hand, you raised 4BBs and 3 players called=16BBs total In the hand", then on flop you Cbet 4BBs Into a 16BB Pot" giving players 4BBs to win 20BBs+The number of BBs you have behind @ the moment. I mean, do you want me to continue?

You played everything here terrible, the only part I'd say you did well on was opening to 4BBs, and btw you didn't 3bet you raised.

Welcome to the forum and see you around @ the tables

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is different when you play at small stakes,and higher tables,in small stakes players are usually un experience and naive and lose some hands thay should not,in bigger tables players,play for a long and have strategy....

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, put a buck on it and the world changes. Try your strategy where it counts and let's discuss

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Your play until the flop was OK, after that you should make pot-sized bets, like explained in previous posts.
Having that in mind, even if I find for appropriate to set up a trap on the flop (i.e. the opponents are too LAG, ATM, etc) - I would never bet less then 66% of the pot size on the flop. Same applies for the turn, where if I am short of stack - I would go all in.
But I think the others would fold already on flop action :)

odnicholas25

odnicholas25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if you have raised more aggressively on the flop (for example pot sized bet) he would have folded but you can't be sure.

After flop 4 big blinds is not aggression (it's rather like a slow play for an opponent who has a draw)!

Aggressive is all-in with your highest set!

then on flop you Cbet 4BBs Into a 16BB Pot" giving players 4BBs to win 20BBs+The number of BBs you have behind @ the moment

Your play until the flop was OK, after that you should make pot-sized bets, like explained in previous posts.

Some very clear feedback here, thank you all very much. I'm still new to poker, and this is extremely helpful information. It makes much more sense to bet large portions of the pot rather than multiples of the bb on the flop and beyond when I have a solid hand. I definitely will be using this logic going forward - I can see how I was being far too passive for the pot and the hand, giving my opponent the opportunity to see if he could draw a straight.

Your analyze of the hand is correct but you should always keep in mind that al micro, freeroll and especially at play money games very few percent of the people try to analyze the game and take good decisions.

small stakes players are usually un experience and naive and lose some hands thay should not

Honestly, put a buck on it and the world changes. Try your strategy where it counts and let's discuss

This is absolutely true. I was planning to stick to play money a while longer while I am learning the ropes of poker strategy - it's blatant I could use further study and practise.

I suppose I stand to gain more in terms of experience than I do to lose in finance if I'm only playing micro or low stakes. Too many games I try to play strategically and 3 of the 9 players will all-in preflop - usually with rags off-suit too.

Thanks for all of the replies, very helpful and much appreciated.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Op, forget about potbet, that's terrible advise on such a dry board.

Preflop, is fine.

Flop, pot size I guess is 17bb and you bet 4bb, that's very small, but in this kind of super dry board you should bet small. Still, 4bb is too small, 5-6bb is better. Potbet would be a huge mistake, you don't want your opponent to fold, you want him to call with second pairs, third pairs, maybe even Ace highs. On the flop, never bet pot size on dry boards, go small.

Turn, now here you made a big mistake. Pot is already 25bb and you bet 4bb. this is ridiculously small. you should go something like 10-15bb. When you bet 4bb it is a sign of weakness, and I think villain decided to bluff-raise because of that. And when he raised you could go all in, but calling is ok too.

River, clear call, villain could have weaker sets.

S

sanek18_1999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your hand analysis is correct, but you should always keep in mind that al micro, freeroll and especially in game money games very few percent of people try to analyze the game and make the right decisions. Most of the players called the station and they continue to pay with any cards they have. Maybe if you had raised more aggressively on the flop (like the pot size rate), it would have folded, but you can't be sure. With regard to the call on the river-yeah, maybe you had to be put down there, only one mistake.

L

Litosfrank17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are people who see the flop if you need one for a ladder so far away they pay on the flop you should have sent you hard to not let you think, it was the luck of your opponent:tomato:

Ruminate

Ruminate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good that you're thinking about the game in a deeper way, but for sure the play money opponents need no rationale to do anything they do (they love to call just like freerolls) so don't expect to make any sense of it. They have nothing to lose. As pointed out already, I did notice your bet sizing seemed low. Get some value when you have a good hand.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general play money will not help you too much because people there don't care if they win or loose. Freerolls may look similar but believe me - even if only few $ are involved this makes it much more serious for most of the players. Of course there are people who go allin with whatever cards in the freerolls also as well as at micro stakes but in general i find the freerolls a very good place to learn without risking your money. Especially the cardschat freeroll (when you get access to the freeroll club) involves many good players and is very good place to play serious game.

4AMJitneyRideToBorgata

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m the oddball here but ill tell you to forget about the 2.5x, 3x, 4x 5x, 10x BB, raise or all in shove and figure out what you feel comfortable playing and try to figure out what type of bet will manipulate your opponent. And only you can get a feel for that from playing your opponents and gaining experience as to what works for you.

To get that info, if you’re playing 6max I’m assuming you’re there stealing blinds right? So in you’re process of stealing the blinds, I’d find out what player tried to defend that blind and try to get a feel for how much to get these people off their hands on the flop. There you can try you’re X bet but its gonna depend on the board and they’re holding and you’re gonna need experience reading flops.

More importantly, you gotta understand if someone wants to gamble, they’re gonna gamble and either they don’t know or they don’t care about outs, math or whatever high and mighty poker concepts that the greatest poker minds have developed. So there are gonna be times that you’re gonna lose like that and you’re gonna have to find ways to deal with the loss. :cool:

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much play money 10 k real dollars tough hand man good luck.