How effectively study poker?

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys have a nice day for all. I would like to ask you how do you study poker ,books, some interesting videos or live pro. Idicate as what you do and where to find it. and how much % of time you should be playing and studing.

I appreciate you time and answer thank you!

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi)
you need to read books, watch videos, play constantly and learn .. learn and study again ..))
and then you will be a super player ..))
I do not have enough time .. I have a lot of work ..
If it were not for the job, it would already be a super player)))
:captain:

H

Hey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How effectively study poker

Mу story:)Several books and two coaches and their tranings (free of charge).
I spent approximately one year to working over the books and applying the advices in practice. It worked. What about the coaches - I came across their trainings at one site and that was what I really needed (1st was sng 9 max trainer. 2d was mtt trainer).
To tell the truth I love sng 9 max. But I think attending mtt trainings also helped me.

Recommendations:
- work over books (no metter what);
- find your own coache (whom you will listen to and will take all his advices);
- practice;
- whatch on your opponents and make notes.

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys have a nice day for all. I would like to ask you how do you study poker ,books, some interesting videos or live pro. Idicate as what you do and where to find it. and how much % of time you should be playing and studing.

I appreciate you time and answer thank you!

Check out smartpokerstudy.com. Dude is legit, he even has a book called How To Study Poker. He has a ton of other resources to help you along your way as well.

Or you can check out blackrain79.com. Nathan Williams has a ton of books and articles to help you through the micros.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best studying that I do is playing the game live. I feel like you grow so much as a poker player when you are able to consistently be in the game and up to face new challenges and to learn from your mistakes. I do watch television sometimes with friends and we analyze how we would play against them or how they should bet/call/fold etc.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've watched a few YouTube videos, read a couple of books about poker and also working my way through the tutorials and quizzes of the pokerstars School. Ultimately, everyone will have different ways they learn best but it is important to put it into practice and play as many hands as possible to reinforce the learning.

W

wb403n

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say take advantage of some of the free trials that are offered on sites like Upswing Poker or Crush Live Poker. See if you enjoy the free content, and go from there. There are some great books out there, but some of the information can be out-dated, as poker is a game that has evolved immensely over the last decade. My personal preference is to watch videos with hand reviews and/or podcasts.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, here are some tips:
Combos of cards (16 offsuit, 4 suited, 6 pairs)

Math (2:1, 3:1, 4:1)

Bet sizing (cash mostly starts at 1/2, but you can find spots where 1/3 is nice)

Range advantages (imagine if the game was 23 handed how tight your UTG range would be)

Preflop ranges, although cash is a bit easier in this sense as you only have to learn basically 50-100+

Some basic live tells which you'll see a ton at 1/2

Understanding what part of your range you're at and what you must do accordingly (bluffing bottom in certain spots, calling top in certain spots, going for thin value which is huge if you want to crush)

Exploits as in certain people honestly will NEVER do XYZ so using game theory on them is useless as they're extremely unbalanced (old man coffee being a good example IRL, if you get 5 bet shoved 100+ bbs with him, you better have KK+ because to OMC AK is a drawing hand)

bankroll management and tilt avoidance, pretty obvious, but in the long run this can actually make you a ton of money by saving you a ton of money

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I study on youtube and read books.

Regarding hand analysis, I'm adapting ... what do you recommend?

Studying pre or post grind?

Is it best to review your hands before or after playing?